NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Bison/Buffalo as Cattle

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Wolf67

Bison/Buffalo as Cattle

Postby Wolf67 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:02 pm

I think it be cool to have Bison as cattle. But many people say you got to be careful with them cause they can be unpredictable. Also I believe this is how some restaurants get Buffalo Burgers from.
Lasergrl

Re: Bison/Buffalo as Cattle

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:59 pm

They are only for people that have worked with cattle for a long time already, and are used to being around bulls. The mildest cow bison is like a domestic bull. They may be ok for a while but look at them wrong and your dead. There are occaionally some male steers that somewhat mellow if handled correctly. This is the very rare instance and usually they pop up after a rancher has been bottle raising several and one stands out. They require very good fence, very good. We had a few get out around here. The cops had to shoot them for safety. Even the calf was charging them!
However if you are into a more "hands off" animal, can afford proper fencing (including the expensive squeeze chutes and loading docks) then they can be a good source of income as meat animals. They wouldnt be anything you would want if you like to pet your animals or make pets out of them. But again even a domestic female cow can get quite aggressive at the right times.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 pm

What about water buffalo? Or, are they considered the same as bison? From what I've seen, it's seemed like people can pet water buffalo. I was going to have those when I have a farm because I can't drink cow milk
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I believe water buffalo are listed as one of the most dangerous animals in the wild. I don't have any information about "domesticated" ones though.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:35 am

They can kill lions, I don't think you'd want one as a pet, lol.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:41 am

Cape buffalo are the real dangerous ones. Water buffalo are domesticated but like any cattle can hurt you. You have to have cow sense to work around them safely.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Camel milk is most similar to human milk. They use it to feed babies in other countries. So if you are allergic to cows milk that would be a decent option in raising your own.

If you want easy then do goat milk.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:21 pm

That's really interesting! Thanks for the info! I'll have to try it out if I can.

Although I didn't like goat milk the first time I tried it, I have tried it again since and like it.

I think I'm definitely going to have some water buffalo though when I have my farm. I think I've only read and heard good things about their temperment from people who have them. Also, their meat is a little better for you than beef and their milk can be used to make buffalo mozzarella which is apparently the mozzarella that is made in Italy.

I'm also interested in Yak though, as their meat has better fatty acid distribution than other types of cattle, with more unsaturated fatty acids and less saturated fatty acids.
Botat

Postby Botat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:46 am

If you are looking for a tame alternative to buffalo I suggest yaks. They can be used for packing, wool, meat, and milk. If you get some bottle calves they re dog tame. I even have a weanling that had no human interaction until I got it and it will not eat out of my hand. They require not special fencing , cattle fance will do just fine and they have a striking appearance. Another bonus is that the eat 1/3-1/4 of what normal commercial cattle do.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Coming from a person that is 3rd generation cattle raiser with a current beef herd of over 100 head cattle are for not for the light hearted. All of them have the ability to kill you and anybody who raises them quickly become "initiated" through being kicked, slamed into objects, head button, and stepped on, and actually the bulls are alot more laid back then the cows with calves. I live by a guy with bison and they mature much more slowly they can run over 30 mph and females can flip a half ton truck. However, bison and yak mean is much better for you. Yaks r about like cattle so a much better choice for someone who wanted to raise a few, and as for milk yes goats are a much better choice because they eat less are easier maintained and their milk is better for you. Hoped this helped for anyone wanting more info.
tsunami

Postby tsunami » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Lasergrl wrote:They are only for people that have worked with cattle for a long time already, and are used to being around bulls. The mildest cow bison is like a domestic bull. They may be ok for a while but look at them wrong and your dead. There are occaionally some male steers that somewhat mellow if handled correctly. This is the very rare instance and usually they pop up after a rancher has been bottle raising several and one stands out. They require very good fence, very good. We had a few get out around here. The cops had to shoot them for safety. Even the calf was charging them!
However if you are into a more "hands off" animal, can afford proper fencing (including the expensive squeeze chutes and loading docks) then they can be a good source of income as meat animals. They wouldnt be anything you would want if you like to pet your animals or make pets out of them. But again even a domestic female cow can get quite aggressive at the right times.

A lot of that has to do with HOW you handle animals too. I know a guy who has scars all over his body cause a bull he raised turned on him because he was aggressive towards it. Henry (the bull I raised) was badass ^^ he would put his head down like he does to play with other cattle and I would put my shoulder against his head and we would push each other. He never used his full strength and we could play for hours. Even when he got MUCH bigger he still was my little buddy and always careful not to hurt me. He even fended off the water buffalo (they are very assertive and pushy animals) whenever they got in my way. He also stood up to much larger bison for me.

The way you interact with animals has a LOT to do with how they interact with you. Where I worked the animals loved me cause my personality was like night and day compared to everyone else. It showed in the fact that the animals came to me vs running away, they were always wanting attention from me, and only the ones that were the dominant males were ever aggressive towards me. They were usually easily dealt with by keeping one of the bison or camels nearby so I had back up if they started something.

You can not completely let your guard down around large animals but you don't have to be on edge. They can tell when you are nervous or afraid. Just be yourself and the animals will love you. Animals are naturally afraid of 2 things: things bigger than them, and what they don't understand or know. Eliminate both of those by being smaller than them (as a human vs bison that is easy) and by showing them the world around them and that you will never put them in danger. I make it sound easy because to me it was easy. You have to earn their trust, and once you do you have to earn the right to keep it.

The bison that almost killed the guy destroyed fences, attacked other employees where I worked, and hated people. But he would let me sit/lay on him while he was laying down. I was the only person who genuinely was not afraid of him and refused to believe he was a bad animal. Because of my personality and my love of animals I have a very relaxed reaction to animals and they have yet to take advantage of that. My parents fear that an animal will be the death of me but by all means let it. I love animals, I love nature, and even dangerous animals it is just over coming my initial fear/hesitation and learning how to handle them.

I guess if you are afraid to get a bison don't get one, but don't completely rule it out because animals can surprise you in the most amazing ways. Just because other people had bad experiences doesn't mean you will. When people saw the "homicidal" bison at my work and me playing they thought I was a dead man, but what they saw when they got closer blew their minds. This bison that had hated people for the last 7-8 yrs was playing with a new guy who had only worked there for 2 weeks. Most animal professionals would have written that bison off, don't be like them.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:09 pm

tsunami what you experienced is not the norm. The way you raised that bull is how 99% of bottle fed bulls become killers. I think you were lucky with that bull. Pushing on a bulls head in play, while young, will only let them know this is ok behavior once they are older. becoming friends with a bull while young will make them think you are one of them. this is good for cows or steers most of the time, but a bull may eventually find you to be a challenge to their herd dominance. Thats how people get hurt.
Most proffesionals feel this way because it is the truth. Because you were new to the facility, or maybe the way you handle yourself, this bison did not find you a challenge to his herd status or his cows. And some animals will be unique and not be as testosterone driven and are mellower. Some are like dogs until they kill you. Everyone has their own comfort level, but I would never suggest anyone without cow sense go anywhere near a bison.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:03 am

I've had some very laid back cattle, but as a general rule i dont let them get used to pushin on me cuz they can seriously hurt you even by accident. Ive had ones tht just dont know there own strength, and also the other way with some knowing that they can toss me around like a twig. So really you cant let your guard down at all; respect and fear are completely different. The best way to keep large animals from walking all over you is to not take even little things.

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”