NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Blackbucks

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Whatsername

Blackbucks

Postby Whatsername » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:39 am

I know people keep deer for pets, especially the small ones, but has anyone ever heard of a black buck as a pet? I guess technically they are antelope and not deer. but they are beautiful! People raise and sell them, but it seems like they're selling them to hunting farms, or whatever you would call them. All the places I've found them for sale are places where they have a bunch of deer and you can pay to go hunt them. :( It's sad but I wonder if one of those places would pull the fawns and bottle raise them if someone offered a bit more money. They were going for about $300 which isn't bad I think. They are such beautiful animals I am in love.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Juska

Re: Blackbucks

Postby Juska » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 am

They're classified as Near Threatened, so I'm not sure if they would be available in the exotic pet trade/legal to keep as pets. I do agree that they're beautiful animals. I would definitely have them in my "dream zoo" scenario, along with Waterbuck and Oryx.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:12 am

But people can own them for hunting? Hmmm strange.

I wonder if you had a tame one if you could ride them? I only ask because they remind me of a black version of Yakul from Princess Mononoke.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:46 am

They're pretty small. I don't think you would be able to.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm sure you could get one. They are an antelope rather than deer. Appropriate enough for this category but there may be some differences. I know with deer unless the male is fixed you do not want to bottle raise them because they will lose their fear off you and attack and try to mate with you. But if you fix them then the males wont get antlers. On the other hand you can neuter goats and they still get horns since antelope have horns it might work the same.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Im not sure if they would still get horns if neutered. usually if the female doesnt have horns, the male shouldnt if neutered early.

Blackbucks are very common in the private trade. They often have them at the Mt Hope auction. Sometimes bottle babies. They have such a big flight response that they dont always stay tame unless worked with alot. They are very small animals too, so definately cant ride them. I do know of a team of moose that actually haul logs from timbering. You can probably google it.
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:59 pm

I didn't even see what size they were until someone mentioned it. xD Yeah, definitely can't ride. But I can dream...

It's sad about the horns though. That's part of what makes them so beautiful. But I did read that the females do sometimes get horns but they're just not spirals. So maybe it depends. Hm. But thanks everyone for all the good information! It was hard to find around the net because every time I searched them it was hunting places >.>
Elina

Postby Elina » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:04 am

There are LOADS of them at a zoo I went to in the summer. I was told they breed like rabbits so in captivity:

Blackbuck at West midlands safari and leisure park. by Flashman foxes, on Flickr

Blackbuck at West midlands safari and leisure park. by Flashman foxes, on Flickr

I think the bottom one is funny hehe!

I really don't think you can ride them, they are pretty short and very delicate looking.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:39 am

I have to wonder if there is any species of Cervidae at all that could be ridden.
The thing with horses and even cows it that they have been heavily domesticated, and even reindeer are only semi-domesticated. I don't know how well riding a deer would go over, especially since they are more of leaping animals than runners and their backs may not be suited to carry things.

I love Princess Mononoke, haha, actually just about any Studio Ghibli movie. Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Ponyo are my favorites. c: Initially I actually didn't like Ponyo, but after watching it the second time through, it grew on me.
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:44 am

-veering off-subject- I was actually pleasantly surprised with Ponyo. When I heard it was going to be in theaters and that it was supposedly based off of The Little Mermaid (which it really wasn't...) I was worried that Ghibli had suddenly gone commercialized! D: Since I had been a fan for years and years prior to that, I was quite upset. But when I went to it in theaters, and the opening song was some Japanese lady singing I knew everything was going to be okay. xD I feel like that only makes sense in my head. But the point is, I felt that Ponyo was still classic Miyazaki so I was happy. <3 I love Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Whisper of the Heart... They are probably my favorites. But it's so hard to say! Kiki's Delivery Service holds a very special place in my heart as well, as it was the first one my sister and I watched on a whim and it was love right away. We were both under 10 years old at the time I believe... Also! Have you seen Pom Poko? A bit strange, but its entirely about Tanuki (or Raccoon Dogs in English) which is super cool! They just call them Raccoons though in the English translation.

Anyway... -ahem- If there's one thing that competes with my love for exotic animals, it would be my love for Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:04 am

People do ride reindeer. Reindeer are just as domesticated as any breed of cattle temperamentally. They don't come in different breeds and sizes but do have domestic colorations available). They even let people milk them.

http://arran2.blogspot.com/2007/06/rein ... ribou.html
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”