please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Calves

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Irophia

Calves

Postby Irophia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:22 am

I was wondering if anyone had some leads or suggestions on how to go about finding calves for sale (also what $ is average, or too much)...specifically: Holsteins, Murray Grey, Brown Swiss, Miniature Highland. I've read everything from- go to a farm and ask the farmer, to get donor heifers and transfer bought frozen embryos, to auctions where the cattle may be there due to rejections from breeders.

Thank you for the help from your past experience or general knowledge!
Lasergrl

Re: Calves

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Ive never seen murray grey for sale from anything other then a breeder. I cant say the price on them but baby beef prices are usually $1.50 per pound. A weaned murray grey is probably 400 pounds.
A holstein bull is about $100 and a heifer about $250 right now. Prices vary by time of year and the markets average. Brown swiss bull calf around $140 and a heifer more like $350. They are bigger and meatier so get higher prices then holsteins. The miniature highlands are a class of their own and your looking at $3000 or so for a baby. A regular highland is not a large animal and is WAY smaller then a holstein or swiss. A regular highland is about $300-$600 for a weaned baby depending on bloodlines and if registered.

I have only bought cattle through auctions and have had good luck. Anyone getting a young bottle calf is in for trouble. Anything that is less then 4 weeks old requires alot of experience to keep alive. If you get it directly from the dairy and its had at least one day of colostrum you are in a better position to keep it alive though.
snakeman

Re: Calves

Postby snakeman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:33 pm

check Craig's list for your area, type in calves. lots of different kinds lots of prices. I just bout two white park heifers around 700 lbs each for $2300. I bought a red angus cow due in may for 1300.

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”