PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Our Muntjac Deer Athena

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

egroegart

Re: Our Muntjac Deer Athena

Postby egroegart » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Thank you Unstable. Feel free to ask any questions about her. I have to very good breeders when you are ready. Her coat is shiny although only when the light hits it. I don't know if it is an oil from her skin maybe? but when you pet her it doesn't feel oily. Her fur is soft, and really short. I really don't know how they survive in such cold climates. She is outside with Benji most of the time. They come in whenever they want but both of them just rather staying outside most of the day and even at night sometimes. We have some really cold nights here. And we yell for them to come in if they haven't already and sometimes they both just refuse. They both will then sleep in the cave together. It is really nice for them in there, full of straw and completely concealed from the weather. We used to worry on the nights when they didn't come in for the night, but about once or twice a week they would just rather sleep outside. Crazy critters. lol. Benji has a really thick coat right now and Athena's hasn't changed at all for the winter.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Hah the mental image of them sleeping together in a cave is so funny...I can only imagine what someone walking by would think. "Er...is that a DEER sleeping with a BOBCAT?" I love that cave you built for them. I want to make something like that for my coons someday.

I hadn't thought about how deer have such short hair but live in cold climates...do they even get winter coats? It would seem if Athena hasn't gotten hers, then she probably won't. That's interesting.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:40 pm

The fallow deer we had, got winter coats. The difference isn't real obvious till they shed for summer then you pull out a clump of fur and there is new shiny shorter fur underneath. The winter fur is a bit longer and ticker.

I don't know about muntjacs though.
codycatz

Postby codycatz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:41 pm

I do believe that deer an adjust their body temperatures.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:35 pm

I was going back watching your videos of Athena and Benji. I love the videos of Benji on the table (I always think of when you said that he drools excessively if he really likes what you guys are eating and how "it's disgusting") and the ones of Athena getting vacuumed.

But every time she is grooming him by the time I get the camera out she stops. lol. Isn't that how it always is?

Reading this reminds me of how I have several videos of the animals standing there doing nothing and me saying "He stopped doing it!" rather than several videos of the animals doing various funny things...
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am

Yep, that is how it always is unstable. They never want to do something when you get the camera out.

I really don't know about the winter coat. If they get one it is very minimal. I do know that they survive in very cold climates though, and she loves it outside in the winter.

We dont have a lot of fun things in our yard for Athena to chew on, so we always pick her grass, flowers and dandelions, yesterday we were weeding and left the wheelbarrow in the yard. When we came out, this is what we found.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Cute! How did she get all the way up there? Can they jump high?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Wed May 22, 2013 10:13 pm

She jumped up there. She was in and out of it several times yesterday. It is unbelievable how high she can jump. One time we had really high winds and I was in the mud room with her and the wind blew the door shut and it scared her so bad. I only saw her out of the corner of my eye but I swear she almost hit the ceiling. The ceiling is 7 foot tall. She came down really hard on the floor. She was fine though and didn't get hurt. I really don't know how high she jumped, but it had to be at least 6 foot. Her legs are very powerful. She has jumped from one couch to another in our living room and they are 4 and a half feet apart.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 23, 2013 3:15 am

Wow! I would have loved to have seen that. Crazy little deer! :lol:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri May 31, 2013 3:53 pm

I laughed out loud at the imagery of this deer in the corner of one's eye leaping to the ceiling. I'm glad she didn't get hurt. I'll remember if I get one that if it goes outside, the pen will need a ceiling. I think they're really neat and definitely on my serious wishlist.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Our neighbor suggested that we cut a hole in his fence so that Athena could come into his yard so she could run and graze. So that's what we did this week. She absolutely loves it. It's a nice fenced in big yard and she loves it. Here's the video I took yesterday of her first time in his yard.
http://youtu.be/o9kEc9z5sN0
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:50 pm

That's so cute and very kind of your neighbors! I can imagine she loves grazing on the grass.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:09 am

Thanks Ash. Yes, our neighbors are all awesome. I absolutely hate living in town and can't wait until we can move to the country, but we do have great neighbors. the neighbor that allowed us to cut a doorway out in his fence for Athena is in his 70's. He loves to sit outside and watch Athena and Benji playing. It really made him happy to see her in his yard running and playing. He really enjoys it.

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”