NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Private Ownership of Deer in Arizona

muntjac, giraffe, bison, gazelles, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

dear

Private Ownership of Deer in Arizona

Postby dear » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:24 pm

In 2003, there was a ban imposed on importing and owning deer in Arizona. I live in the state and have always wanted to have a pet deer and possibly a small herd for breeding. I was recently told that Sika deer were exempt from the ban. I did some research online and found that this was true:

"All species of the following families of the order Artiodactyla. Common name: even-toed ungulates.

The family Tayassuidae. Common name: peccaries.

The following genera of family Cervidae:

The genus Alces. Common name: moose.

The genus Odocoileus. Common name: white-tailed and mule deer.

The genus Cervus. Common name: red deer and wapiti, except that the species Cervus nippon, Nippon deer, is not restricted."

This seems pretty clear to me, as Sika are "Cervus Nippon".

After this I found a pair of Sika deer literally down the street from me for sale. I was very excited, but the next day someone else I contacted about getting a pair wrote me back and informed me that she couldn't sell any deer since the 2003 ban. I believe this person should know what they're talking about. Now I'm very confused as to their status. I abhor getting involved with Game & Fish and I was wondering if anyone knew better before I attempt to contact them (which will probably just lead to more confusion).

Does anyone know of Sikas are, in fact, exempt? I don't want to acquire the deer and then get them taken away.

Furthermore, does anyone know WHY Sikas would be exempt? It seems pretty clear that they are from the original ban notice I found online (above), but I couldn't figure out what made them special. Perhaps because they're non-native? Thank you for your help.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Private Ownership of Deer in Arizona

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:02 pm

What are you quoting? Is that an import code? It doesn't matter if they are or are not allowed to be imported because ALL deer are banned for private ownership.

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/special_licenses/pdfs/rules/r12-4-406.pdf
All species of the following families of the order Artiodactyla. Common name: even-toed ungulates.
a. The family Tayassuidae. Common name: peccaries;
b. The family Cervidae. Common names include: cervid; or deer, elk, moose, wapiti, and red deer;
c. The family Antilocapridae. Common name: pronghorn; and
d. The family Bovidae. Common names include: cattle, buffalo, bison, oxen, duikers, antelopes, gazelles, goats, and sheep, except that the following are not restricted:
i. The genus Bubalus. Common name: water buffalo; and
ii. The genus Bison. Common name: bison, American bison or buffalo.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dear

Postby dear » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:32 pm

I got a copy of the original 2003 ban notice and those were the laws concerning what constituted restricted live wildlife under the new act.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:39 pm

The laws were amended in 2006 so what I posted is current law.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Ruminants- cattle, goats, sheep, deer, and antelope”