PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Cuscus Husbandry

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

The Herper

Cuscus Husbandry

Postby The Herper » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:41 pm

I've always found these creatures endearing. Too bad they're pretty rare. Anyway, a friend of mine is considering importing a few from New Guinea. He is not 100% sure he wants to go through the paper work, and he may not go through with it, but we're both pretty excited about it.

So does anybody know anything about cuscus husbandry? I know that they're folivores, and need leaves or equivalent in their diet, but I don't know much else.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cuscus Husbandry

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:46 pm

There were some imported before they pretty much all died. Autopsy showed their digestive system was set up like an herbivore and people were feeding them fruit. They died from being septic.
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:16 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:There were some imported before they pretty much all died. Autopsy showed their digestive system was set up like an herbivore and people were feeding them fruit. They died from being septic.

So they're leaf eaters? No fruit?

There isn't a lot of raw leaves commercially available in bulk, so I guess they would be eating Mazuri Leaf Eater biscuits? I'm not sure it would be healthy to only feed them processed foods.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:20 am

In the wild they eat green unripe fruit so is high fiber not at all like the fruit you can buy so yeah is kinda like leaf eater but she didn't go that route.

Been back through my info on them from her to get more precise info.

Final Cuscus Diet(at least by my record): Mazuri High Fiber Sticks, soaked. 20 diced hard-skinned winter squashes, 1/8C frozen chopped greens (spinach, chard, kale, etc) (sorry didn't say how much high fiber per the rest of the recipe, maybe a whole package??

Earlier diet was base of maxuri insectivore diet and Mazuri high fiber sticks. Made them too fat so could be a good putting weight on thin ones diet.

Treats
1 mandarin orange slice 2 times per week. Sliver a single grape as treats. Fruit gives Cuscus near instant diarrhea, just for treats or taming them and very limited.

What *healthy* Cuscus poop should look like. Of 18 plant species Cuscus eat in the wild 13 are from the Ficus family. Feed your Cuscus Ficus leaves and stems!!

Other things given at some point silkworm pupae. Acorn, Butternut, Spaghetti, Turban squashes all very well received by the Cuscus.

82 degrees seems to be "the temperature" for Cuscus girls. Any cooler they get REAL sluggish. Warmer they start looking to cool themselves

Cuscus live 8-12 years in captivity
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:59 am

Thanks for the help!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:31 am

Oh someone on my friends list has Oriental cuscus and has had some success breeding them this year but he has it a friends only post so that's all I can say. There may be some hope in their becoming more available if success continues.
Last edited by TamanduaGirl on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:38 pm

That's awesome news to hear. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Gryffindor

Postby Gryffindor » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Out of interest, if 82 degrees is the ideal temp for female cuscus, do people keep them in a heated enclosure (shed?) or indoors? Just wondering what the ideal way to house them is.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:21 pm

In their own heated room or indoor enclosure(like a insulated and heated shed). You probably don't want to keep your whole home that temperature. I would go with a room of their own with independently controlled temp from the rest of the house. Easier to ensure all goes well. A tamandua was lost one time where there was an issue with heating in it's separate shed like enclosure. You will know much more quickly if something goes wrong and it is less likely to go wrong if in the house with you in their own room. You should also have some sort of back up should you loose power. We have a wood stove as our backup heat but a generator would work too.
Gryffindor

Postby Gryffindor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 am

Cool, that's good to know for future use. I'd love to have cuscus someday, Oriental and Spotted. I've seen Oriental for sale before so it's maybe even possible without having to import, and if there's people currently breeding them than maybe by the time I'm ready to have them they'll be a little bit more commonly available.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”