ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Do baby VA. Opossums like to play?

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

silvermoon1108

Do baby VA. Opossums like to play?

Postby silvermoon1108 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:42 pm

So, my boyfriend and I have recently rescued 3 female baby VA. Opossums. They are I'd like to guess around 16ish weeks. They are at the point where they want to run around and explore and such. Well today, my boyfriend and I noticed one of them biting a shaking (like a puppy plays with a toy) her blanket. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if baby possums play and enjoy having toys?

Also while she was doing this she had her tail coiled up in a ring. Is this normal play behavior or is she just being aggressive/throwing a tantrum?

Any tips and advice on anything possum related would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ^_^
GitaBooks

Re: Do baby VA. Opossums like to play?

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:26 pm

That's a good question. I'm not sure.

Some time soon I'm hoping to get a license to work with orphaned and injured wildlife where I live, I hope to work with baby opossums a lot. They sound so unique.

They're lucky you helped them. : )
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:41 pm

They are not playful animals. They do enjoy running on wheels though. It's not impossible a young one could have a rare playful moment though as they also don't tend to be aggressive and are very laid back. I know my anteaters have similar tails and they will coil them when nervous or upset or in pain.

Actually she may have been trying to shred the blanket. If she is in the mood to make a nest you can try shredding some newspaper or give her some hay. She will collect it in her tail and carry it back for a nest.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Maybe not what you are thinking of as 'toys' but foraging toys are good. Opossums also generally enjoy going for walks. I don't advise taking them out in public but around your yard or other private area.

I had a tailless orphan named Hitchhiker Joe and he had a little bear cat toy that while he did not play with it per se, he did move it around to different places.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
kevin23

Postby kevin23 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:09 am

So what toys do you plus your Beardies have and use? My Iggy seems to be a little daredevil in the making, jumping from gentle heights onto things like clothes and other soft things that will flatten out comfortably to give you a soft landing. He seems to love doing this over and over again :)

Return to “MARSUPIALS”