PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

OPOSSUM DIET

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

peg

OPOSSUM DIET

Postby peg » Thu May 22, 2014 11:31 am

Hi, I rescued a juvenile male opossum, I think Virginia, a couple of weeks ago. We live in a city that is close to foothills, use to be rural, but is rapidly being converted to domesticated city. We were forced by new neighbors years ago to remove the ducks, chickens and pot bellied pig we rescued prior to their moving next to us. People are no longer friendly to animal rescue or wildlife coming down from the hills. We still have dogs, cats, a fish pond and some birds in flight cages. We found several possible siblings to this baby dead in our yard, possibly poisoned. It would seem that his best survival bet at this time is to reside with us, as we don't believe he will fare will if released in our yard or in the wild. I want to make certain we have a diet for him that will reduce the risk of MBD. The natural food we use for our cats has a good protein/fat ratio for him and the calcium/phosphorus ratio seems good too. He likes the cat food, and also apples. He is growing well, has doubled in size. I have been trying to convert him to a Peter's diet, but I can't seem to get him to eat mixed veges, blended or not. He will eat a bit of yogurt, and hard boiled egg, but no veges, fresh or frozen. Anyone have any ideas to help me keep this young one healthy? Does he need calcium supplements, the cat food has 1.0%. I can't get my hands on the NOS diet without paying membership, so I could use any diet thoughts. He is still not "handle" friendly, hisses and bit once, but we are slowly working on that. He will be moving from his large tub container temporary housing to a multilevel cage dwelling with hammock and tree branches to climb on in just a few days. I appreciate any thoughts anyone can share.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OPOSSUM DIET

Postby Ash » Thu May 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you were able to take in the poor little thing.

This thread has a lot of the answers you're looking for: http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9085. On the second page, there is a portion about diet and what is good for them. Check it out.

If there is a rehab in your area, it would be best to take it there, since keeping a wild-caught animal is illegal in almost all states. So it would be best to follow the laws and take it to someone allowed to raise/keep wild-caughts.

If you do decide to keep it, know that they do not live long at all. Only around 2-3 years, so the lifespan is quite short.

Anyway, please keep us updated with what you plan to do to. :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Hope you stay with us, and once again, welcome!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
peg

Postby peg » Thu May 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks so much for the welcome! After over 20 years in animal rescue I am a bit skeptical of the "wildlife-rehab" in our area...most have simply obtained permits in order to hoard animals in poor living conditions and are in constant battle with neighbors and authority. I am trying to figure out a discrete way to make inquiries without tipping off the local animal control authorities who would simply euthanize him! I did look at the link to the diet page, and am a bit confused...the Peter's diet is half cat food, and is recommended by some, but others say we should eliminate cat food completely. I have no idea what the NOS diet includes, couldn't find a link to it anywhere. This is not an over weight or unhealthy possum, he is a normal growing youth, and I really would love some ideas on how to help him stay that way until we can find a good home alternative or decide to keep him in the absence of that.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 22, 2014 7:50 pm

BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:52 pm

Keeping certain wildlife is allowed in some states if the wildlife is invasive. The public can keep Starlings as pets here in Oregon, and if they are brought into the rehab center we are forced to euthanize them. Same with Opossums, non-native squirrels, etc. I have no idea what Virginia's laws are regarding certain invasive species, but just throwing that out there since they are technically invasive.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes