PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Opossum Help

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Boscopossum

Re: Opossum Help

Postby Boscopossum » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Thank you so much for all your help!
All the links are very useful, and I'll definitely keep the lactose thing in mind! Haha.

Also, one last question (for now).
For chicken on the feeding schedule... That is raw chicken, correct? And its best to keep the bone in?
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:49 pm

Boscopossum wrote:Thank you so much for all your help!
All the links are very useful, and I'll definitely keep the lactose thing in mind! Haha.

Also, one last question (for now).
For chicken on the feeding schedule... That is raw chicken, correct? And its best to keep the bone in?

Well it would be my personal preference to feed raw, yes, but doesn't mean you have to. You can boil it if you want, but I don't think cooked bones are safe. You could always pull the bone out and stick it back in with the boiled chicken afterwards so at least the bone is raw. The bone and marrow provide a lot of good nutrients.

You could feed a whole small sized rat on those days. It is whole prey, so you get the calcium of the bones included. I just don't know the cal:phos ratio on a rat, don't think it's something people look into, lol. So, I wouldn't know if you'd still need the high calcium ratio items or not.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Ok, assuming this is correct, it looks like the ratio may be 1.7:1, which means those days would need to be tweaked with more suitable food items if you fed one whole rat.

Here's the nutrient information list I found on 'vertebrae prey animals', rats are on Page 12

http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/zoo/WholeP ... 2May29.pdf

And here's where I get my bulk order of rats for my reptiles

http://rodentpro.com

Tamanduagirl, feel free to double check, I may be reading it wrong but I think I got it right... I'm not so smart when it comes to percentages and I couldn't help but notice it doesn't line up with the notion that beef would be 20 times the phosphorus and chicken is 10 times.
Boscopossum

Postby Boscopossum » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Okay, thanks!

Not sure how I'd feel about feeding him rats... seeing as I actually have had some pet rats... xD
But I'll consider it. Haha.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Well an adult rat would be 1.31(cal) to 0.74(phos) ratio. Juvenile and neonate don't show a P value.

All my math skills know how to do is reduce the fractions from 2.62/1.48 to 1.31/0.74 Don't know if there a way to reduce the ratio to a whole fraction without rounding. School was a long time ago for me :)

Edit: the beef you are talking about is beef meat the chart they list is whole prey so the ratio in a whole cow and not just the meat. That's why it doesn't work out the same.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:16 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Well an adult rat would be 1.31(cal) to 0.74(phos) ratio. Juvenile and neonate don't show a P value.

All my math skills know how to do is reduce the fractions from 2.62/1.48 to 1.31/0.74 Don't know if there a way to reduce the ratio to a whole fraction without rounding. School was a long time ago for me :)

Edit: the beef you are talking about is beef meat the chart they list is whole prey so the ratio in a whole cow and not just the meat. That's why it doesn't work out the same.

OHHH duh! Silly me, when I think beef I think cuts, but this is whole prey for ZOOS, so that doesn't seem so far fetched to feed a whole cow. That makes a lot more sense, thanks!

So, based on that, yes, whole rats would definitely be a healthier ratio with a little swapping of food choices if you can stand to do it.

The rats from rodentpro are already humanely killed and frozen, they come in a large cardboard box with a block of dry ice to keep them frozen during their trip. All you have to do is thaw them and feed.

I currently do have a pet rat(albino patchwork, kind of like a double rex) that I, of course, wouldn't think of feeding to my snake, but doesn't mean I won't feed her the ones I buy frozen! I prefer feeding rats over mice because mice have higher fat content, whereas rats are more muscle content. Healthier option of the two.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”