PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

'Round and 'round we go...

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Luxe

'Round and 'round we go...

Postby Luxe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Ok! So, I called the Fish and Wildlife department again, and actually got the name of who I was speaking with(which I should have done for that biased prick I spoke with last name), and the info. I wanted to verify!

I was right, the idiot I spoke with the last time was being incredibly rude and biased against our beloved opossum.

This woman was very friendly and said that you can trap most native wildlife to keep as a pet, said that opossums CAN be imported from other states(though raccoons are on the list of animals that can't be imported), and that they CAN be owned in the state of Kentucky.

BLAM! I WAS RIGHT!

Ok, so, from now on I'm going strictly off the statutes and if anyone tells me otherwise they can shut their mouth and go read the law. I stared at this LONG thing for HOURS last night trying to see if there was any truth in what he told me, and there isn't.

She did advise to, ofcourse, check with your county officer to make sure it is legal in your local area, as they could pass their own laws outlawing permitted animals as far as the state is concerned, but can not pass laws that would allow animals the state does not allow. I always do anyways, that's how I know Coatimundis are A-OK where I live and I fully intend to print all laws and statutes saying so with any exotic I own that requires any form of permit and keep it in a binder. I know there are people out there that would be more than glad to say,"it belongs in the wild," and then call the Game Warden because they think it's illegal, but I'll have my handy dandy binder ready to tell them otherwise.

If you all want to take a looksy, be my guest. If you just want to know the process, I'll state it here.

THIS IS FOR KY RESIDENTS:

First and foremost, check with the county. Make sure they haven't outlawed the opossum you're after.

If it's a green light, proceed to building your outdoor enclosure. It will need to be at least 6x8x8 to be of legal dimensions. An additional 4 sq. ft. is necessary for each additional animal you plan to own, so two opossums would be 10x12x8. Make sure this enclosure has fresh food and water, and also provides protection from the elements. Make sure it is strong enough to contain your opossum(s) and also prevents any outdoor threats(including humans) or animals of the same specie from getting in. Keep the enclosure clean. If you've done extensive diet research it may be wise to have a binder with printed studies on diet to show to a Game Warden that may question your diet, as most people are not very well versed in opossum diet. (Exotic & Native Wildlife Laws and Containment Requirements: https://www.animallaw.info/administrati ... ife301-kar )

Once your enclosure is ready to be reviewed, print and fill out the KY Captive Wildlife Permit and send it in. This can take at least six weeks to be reviewed and pass if your enclosure is deemed suitable. A non-commercial license(can not breed, sell, adopt out, etc.) is $75 for three years. A commercial license(can breed, sale, adopt out, etc.) is $150 for one year. This is good for any quantity of the specie being applied for. If you initially buy non-commercial and decide to get a commercial license in the middle of the three years, it will be the full price of $150. (Permit: http://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Documents/captivewildapp.pdf )

Once you've got your approved Captive Wildlife Permit, you're ready to get your opossum! There are two ways to do this. You can either trap a wild opossum, or buy from a breeder. In-state breeders do not require any additional steps, just buy and bring the fella home, you're done!

IF YOU ARE IMPORTING FROM OUT OF STATE: There are some additional steps! Once you have your Captive Wildlife Permit(this is a MUST prior to obtaining the animal), fill out the permit for 'Individual Wildlife Transportation', send it in. This is $25 for EACH. Once it has been approved, send a scanned copy to the breeder you're buying from and have them print it out. They must also take your animal(s) to the vet for a health check and get a certificate of veterinary inspection for each one. When they are being shipped at the airport, or crossing lines by vehicle, they must have both the printed approved permit AND the certificate of veterinary inspection on their carrier during transportation. (Permit: http://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Documents/indtransportapp.pdf )(Info.: http://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Transpo ... dlife.aspx )

IF YOU ARE TRAPPING A WILD OPOSSUM: You will first need to fill out a 'Annual (or) Land-owner/Tenant Trapping License' permit application, send it in, and have it approved. Annual is $20, Land/Tenant is $10. Once you have it approved, you may set out a trap ONLY during the given time frame and with your designated trap tags on the trap. As of this moment the time is set a half our before sunrise between November 10, 2014 - February 28, 2015. There is no limit on how many you can trap, just make sure the amount you trap and keep are kept in the necessary dimensions. (Permit: https://app.fw.ky.gov/license/waonlinefront.aspx ) (Trapping Info.: http://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Furbearer-H ... pping.aspx )

(Though, it is not entirely necessary you MUST use the enclosure, you can still have them as indoor pets, but for the purpose of the permit, there must be an outdoor enclosure that meets minimum requirements.)

Thanks!
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 'Round and 'round we go...

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Congrats. :) Yeah, I always go by the written laws. BUT I do call to verify that the version I'm looking at is current. Sometimes what you find in print or online is obsolete, so be sure to double-check that it is the most recent one. ;P

Keep us updated on your opossum adventures! They are such cute little things. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:00 pm

It is current, she just stressed to check with your county officer first and foremost to make sure they agree with state laws regarding exotic and native wildlife captivity. I know for Franklin County, KY Coatimundis are approved, I checked last year and as far as I know there haven't been any changes made. The only animal ownership changes that have been made as of recently are regulations regarding backyard poultry around here. You'd be shocked that a little town like this is more strict than a hustling, bustling city is on backyard poultry. I used to live in Fayette County, which is Lexington, KY. One of the larger cities here. There you can have 6 hens on residential property. Here? Yeah, no. If you live on less than 5 acres you can only have two hens, but in KY it's illegal to sell less than 6 at a time, so you tell me how that makes any sense, LOL. Buy six kill four? How terrible. :(

At any rate, it's stressed that you check county/city regulations because, while the state may say, for example, that there are no statutes against the ownership of ferrets(just for example since captive ferrets used to be a real hot topic, and still is for some cities) and that it's perfectly legal to have one, a city within the state DOES have the right to say no, that it is not legal within city limits to own one. However, this does not work in reverse. If the state says it is unlawful to own, say, an alligator, the city DOES NOT have the right to say it IS legal to own one within city limits. They can say no, but that can't say yes to something the state disagrees with.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Yes, it's like a tier system going down. State, county, city, and then sometimes even your zoning ordinances need to be checked. I always try really hard to stress that point with all potential owners out there.

I look forward to hearing more about what you find out about your local laws. Fingers crossed you're in the clear.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:54 pm

I added a link to this thread in the Kentucky state laws post and If I got anything wrong there let me know. For the most part I've not worked on any of those in a few years.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”