PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Captured

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Luxe

Captured

Postby Luxe » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 pm

My friend, the one that was raising the babies, has caught the opossum we saw earlier just to check overall health, assuming it is Ozzy. She did notice a small wound on the tail, and placed Neosporin on it to help it heal. I told her that they're exceptionally hardy and often survive wounds that would be fatal to us, but she wanted to help him anyways.

She told me she's confident it's him. Young male, still has white tipped ears, same shade of dark smoky grey coat, identical markings, size of a juvenile cat, ears are in good condition, just one small cut, tail is in good condition aside from the wound. Good muscle strength in 'hands' and tail, docile temperament, no growling, hissing, etc.

I don't personally condone trapping after release only to be released again.. I think it puts stress on an animal... but it would be nice to have some closure.

What do you all think? She sent me this pic earlier today. Ozzy would be roughly 5 months old by now.

Compare to last time he was in care, roughly 2 months ago:

"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
Luxe

Re: Captured

Postby Luxe » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:47 am

She says he believes he may of gotten in a scuff with the local feral cats there. Upon closer inspection he has wounds on his nose and neck as well.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Aaw, he's cute. It definitely could be him if there aren't usually other opossums in the area.

What are your thoughts? Are you planning to keep him?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:30 am

While she may be in the boonies, as we say, she's not alone. The reason the wildlife population has dwindled to practically nothing is because the other locals have been illegally shooting them. There used to be a whole herd of deer that grazed at night, but they haven't been sighting since March. Not a one.

I do worry... The neighborhood cats are all healthy and bulked up as ever, meaning he lost... Then there's the shootings and other general illwill against opossums that makes me worry, like poisoning or purposefully hitting them on the road...

Now that he's been found, if it is him, it does tempt me... but I'm struggling with what's the right answer.. To let him face the reality that people want him dead and it's not a possum friendly world?.. Or try to protect him from it all? And yes, I know they can't all be saved.. then I'd be a hoarder... I know the best I can do is educate.. but I've known him since a pink nearly furless little ball...
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:41 am

Another photo she took

Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm

If he's willing, I don't see any reason not to keep him as long as you are willing to give him the best care you can and not just lock him in a small cage and feed him. He's just about lived his lifespan in the wild so no reason not to give him another try.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:27 pm

I agree with Trefoil. If you can give him a good life and he enjoys the company, why not? No, you cannot save them all, but you definitely can make a difference to him, which still matters! If he is comfortable and happy to be with people, which it appears he is if he isn't growling or hissing or anything and is relaxed enough to snuggle, sleep, and let you treat his wounds without a fuss, there isn't anything wrong with your instinct to keep him and protect him. :)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:20 am

Well I visited today and the best I got was him sleeping beside me. He wouldn't take food from me, but would eventually sniff it over. He did allow me to pick him up and pet him. Sometimes he ever so slightly opens his mouth and drools a little, but not full on threat display, even when being approached or picked up.

I took a little video. What do you all think? Would a wild raised opossum allow this? I'm just trying to make sure it is him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_mtkWw ... e=youtu.be

Return to “MARSUPIALS”