PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Va opossum swollen tail?

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

kvjames

Va opossum swollen tail?

Postby kvjames » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:28 am

A friend passed away and asked me to care for the opossum and the base of her tail, all the way around, is swollen and pink? Also her eye seems bulging. The friend lived in Florida for school but I live somewhere else and the vets all say they don't know how to treat opossums and I don't live close to Florida to go to her old vet. Can anybody help?
Luxe

Re: Va opossum swollen tail?

Postby Luxe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:46 am

Pictures would probably help.

Can't say I know of anything that goes along 'base of tail is swollen and pink and eyes bulge'. Nothing that would be linked between the eye and tail.

Sure there isn't an infection in the tail? Any kind of wound that may of gotten infected? Any kind of head trauma that could cause bulging eyes?

I really recommend you do find a vet, whether it be an hour or more. :/ Sorry to be a debbie downer, but I firmly believe an animal should receive proper care if it's sick. I'm not vet, so I certainly can't suggest anything 100%, and that right there is the risk in asking for someone off a forum to diagnose your pet. I'm not vet, so, I can't guarantee you that anything I recommend won't make things worse.

Bottom line, something may need to be administered if there is for sure something going on here, in which case, the question is, is it an oral medication or injection? Needle injection will make things far more difficult, especially for someone who lacks training. For oral medication(s), you'll have to measure out the correct dosage, as opossums are not necessarily a common patient, therefore don't have by the book measurements, meaning you'll have to compensate a little with a more common animal that does have these documentations, like a cat.

Not trying to be mean, just giving you the reality here.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:55 am

I just remembered earlier there was an article I'd referred someone else to. Pages 10 - 13 does list dosages for certain medications, but please DO NOT go willy nilly and start giving the opossum medications. You DO NOT have a diagnosis, meaning that, while you may mean well, anything you administer may do more harm than good.

I still highly recommend you take it to the closest vet possible, or possibly have a local vet consult with the prior. If they seem at a loss for dosage, you can always print this out and give it to them.

http://www.ncwildliferehab.org/conf2013 ... op%202.pdf
kvjames

Postby kvjames » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:07 am

Thanks for replying there is an issue with the vet in the state I live, opossums aren't legal and the vets I did call are and hour or more away still no luck
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:39 pm

My vet is an hour away and I still take them but the drive does suck especially when it's an emergency. I think you are saying even they won't see him though. Sometimes if a vet says they wont see them they will if you just show up and it's an emergency but it's best to not need to do that if you can.

It's just one eye bulging? A bulging eye definitely needs to be seen by a vet somehow. If it's both, are they crossed? I've seen a couple with crossed eyes that make them look bulgy and it seems not a serious issue. But if they are both bulging and a new issue and not a birth defect that is a serious issue.

Not sure what to tell you about the tail though. Breaks in the tail can cause a bulge but there could be other things too. The eye issue is very serious though so you can get it all checked out at the same time once you find a vet.
kvjames

Postby kvjames » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:41 pm

She only has one eye she lost the other one when she was small
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:53 pm

Then it's harder to tell. If the swelling is new then it's even more urgent that she be seen by a vet as soon as possible to ensure she doesn't loose the eye or sight in the eye. There are a large number of things it could be as there are many structures behind the eye that could be the cause of the swelling pushing the eye out enough to bulge. You probably can't be sure if it's new or not though since she is new to you.
kvjames

Postby kvjames » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:54 pm

I asked another friend he said her eye has been swollen since she lost the other eye
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Maybe they messed something up during surgery? The reason it's alarming is because blunt head trauma, among other things, can cause that, which is a very serious health concern. How long ago was the surgery? Infections are also serious as, while it may not occur overnight, eventually, if untreated, the infection will spread into the bloodstream. At that point it is potentially fatal and harder to treat, if at all possible.

I will also chime in here and say my avian vet is in another state entirely. I don't like the trip, but, you know, when somethings wrong, I do it, because it's the right thing to do. It's irritating to make the drive, but is worth a lifetime to know my babies are ok. Our Umbrella Cockatoo once dislocated her shoulder. I'm certainly not qualified to relocate a bird's shoulder, nor would I put her in that pain. Plus, as it turned out, she had a broken bone from the incident, one that wasn't visually obvious.

Edit: I do also recommend you try to get your opossum legalized as soon as possible. Call your local Fish & Wildlife Department, just don't make it sound like you actually have one, just say you're interested in having one, what are the ways to go about getting one, and what are the requirements for having one. What do you have to do? It's much better being legalized, and actually being able to see a vet, than to not be and watch your animal suffer, should anything serious happen that needs emergency attention.
Last edited by Luxe on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kvjames

Postby kvjames » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm sure sure about the eye but I know it was months ago at least. I would drive her to a vet if I could find one, I've searched more than an hour outside my area and I can't find anybody I'm not being lazy and not wanting to drive her.
Last edited by kvjames on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:43 pm

How far away are you from her prior vet? Have you tried calling them and asking for at least some advice? You may want to make it really clear that her other eye has bulged since the surgery they performed.
kvjames

Postby kvjames » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:23 pm

About 12 hours she lived in Florida for school, I'm not sure which vet it was.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:36 am

Well then I guess you're a little out of luck on getting actual physical help if you can't find ANYONE at all that will help you. Are you sure you've checked literally every single vet, close and far? Have you tried calling rehabilitaters that may be able to help? Certainly there is someone, SOME ONE, somewhere that can actually assess, diagnose, and, if necessary, administer/prescribe medications.

Are you able to post any pictures so we can at least get an idea?

I'm really not meaning to come across as rude here... but I really don't wish an animal to suffer because it got dealt a 'bad hand' in life, especially if it could be prevented.
Lizardlover74

Postby Lizardlover74 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:09 am

Hi there, I just read the conversation here but it's from 2014 and I'm curious if there was ever a resolution for the possum with the swollen tail issue? The bulging eye or eyes if both were intact is due to the opossum life span is sadly very short so they must grow up quickly. They get so big so fast and sometimes they get fat pushed up just behind the eyes which then pushes the eyes outward. I work the wildlife center here in Southern California and havehas the honor of being a foster mommy to many many orphaned infant opossums and since starting there I have spent the last year and a half learning as much as I could about these misunderstood awesome possums and absolutely fell in love with these marsupials. I'm very curious to learn about what became of the tail on this kiddo. Thanks for any info at all :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Yeah I've learned more about them sense then bulging eyes in captivity are a common issue. The diet is too rich. You normally don't see that in the wild ones.

I doubt the OP will come back. It would be nice if people would update though.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”