PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Idea...

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Luxe

Idea...

Postby Luxe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Working on making a 'opossum kibble' made with all natural ingredients. Wish me luck!

In one cup or half cup quantities:
carrots - 1:2.3
apples - 1:1
kale - 2.4:1
blackberries - 1.5:1
papaya: 4.8:1
turnip greens: 4.4:1
chicken(with bone) - 1.5:1

Total ratio: 16.6:8.3 = 2:1

Liquifying the whole thing... then mixing with some flour(thinking soy since it has a lot of calcium) to make a fine dough, roll into kibble sized pieces and bake. Store in freezer for extended shelf life.

.. Then again, it seems flour, as a whole, has high phosphates.. While trying to figure out the ratio of various types, I came across this. Seems like the book may be worth it for any animal, really. http://www.raederle.com/2013/02/foods-h ... ratio.html

Not the greatest cook, but I'm going to try my best!
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Idea...

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:23 pm

What about almond flour. I have seen almond flour at the store. Would be expensive unless you make your own but I've seen it at the store. I can buy it in bulk at winco. Not sure of it's phos content though just wasn't surenif you were aware of it.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:24 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:What about almond flour. I have seen almond flour at the store. Would be expensive unless you make your own but I've seen it at the store. I can buy it in bulk at winco. Not sure of it's phos content though just wasn't surenif you were aware of it.

I was aware of it, but thought soy may be better since I hear it's got a lot of calcium comparatively.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:13 am

Annnnnd this is the outcome. Pretty happy with this first batch. Kept makin' 'em, still got a lot of veggie/fruit/chicken dough to go through before I've finished with all the supplies I used.

1 cup steamed carrots(easier on the blender)
1 cup steamed papaya
1 cup apples
1 cup kale greens
1 cup turnip greens
1 cup blackberries
2 chicken legs with bones(pulverized prior to blending unless you have a Vitamix blender or equal to, muscles and tendons may get caught in blades of some blenders, may need to boil)
3 eggs with shell
1/2 cup canola oil
6 cups soy flour

-Blend fruits and vegetables together.
-Blend eggs, oil, and chicken together.
-Mix both well and evenly.
-Add in flour gradually, mixing well. Make sure there are no bubbles full of flour in the mixture.
-Preheat oven to 300F
-Roll dough into balls, or shape of preference.
-Place on oven pan and bake for ~20-25mins.
-Store in refrigerator/freezer.
-Feed in addition to fresh fruits and veggies for optimum health, just be certain to maintain the appropriate Ca:P ratio.

So they're kinda more like biscuits than they are kibble.. I'm still pleased with the outcome.. at least, I think I did everything right. As I said, I'm not the greatest cook.

Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Do they like them? I tried skunk delight and even my coons wouldn't touch it. A friend of mine uses ice cube trays and freezes her ration.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Trefoil wrote:Do they like them? I tried skunk delight and even my coons wouldn't touch it. A friend of mine uses ice cube trays and freezes her ration.

I don't think he's touched them, no. :( maybe if I make a healthy fruit based sauce... He really REALLY loves apples. Admittedly I've been spoiling him on apples when trying to get him accustomed to hands, by having him take slices from me. They work very well as a treat, since he loves them so much.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:21 pm

They look like they might be crunchy,maybe soak a couple in apple juice & see what happens.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”