PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Flea Control Help

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Luxe

Flea Control Help

Postby Luxe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:54 pm

As you may know, I have a pet Virginia Opossum by the name of Ozzy. This can also work as a tale of caution when it comes to their very dense coats.

So, I made the mistake of interacting with our flea ridden friendly neighborhood cat and now have an outbreak of fleas in my home. I'd lightly look Ozzy over and never really saw a whole lot... Didn't even really see them on his face. Well, he recently got into a huge smelly mess, so I bathed him... and found out he was absolutely covered in fleas. His fur is so thick and dense it was hard to tell without drenching him or seriously digging into his fur. I bathed him in Dawn and got out as many as I could, but they're still in my carpet and pounce on him when he gets near.

I have to ask... Do you know of any flea killer/repellant that is safe for opossums? I have a Seresto Cat/Kitten collar, Adams flea killer for cats, Sentry flea killer for cats, and Nature's Guardian flea killer for cats on hand at this moment. Are any of these safe? If not, what is?
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
BlueBaby1023

Re: Flea Control Help

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:28 pm

I don't know specifically if those are safe, and I would be careful because things that are safe for dogs aren't always for cats, and vice versa.

I do know that Advantage (not Multi, just plain) is safe for rabbits and guinea pigs, so it should be safe for a opossum. Pigs and rabbits are really sensitive, so I'd imagine even if opossums are, they would still be able to tolerate it.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:32 pm

The one rehabber told me "For fleas you can use DILUTED critter oil if they are above 115 grams. DO the smallest dose you can. OR it has been proven that advantage for dogs is safe (in tiny doses) on opossums... Maypop opossum just got rid of her fleas using the advantage. The dose is from the >60 lb dog packet, but only a itty bitty bit diluted in water. Advantage doesnt soak into the skin like the other horrible flea products, it sits on the surface ... ID STILL USE CRITTER OIL.. i havent tried advantage on the smaller ones, maypop was 9 lbs. Just to be safe use the critter oil. I would discontinue bathing because it wil dry the babies out.. try wiping diluted critter oil on the babies with a soft warm cloth."

But I didn't actually have much luck with that on my dogs so... But she does mention using advantage if needed too.

I used revolution on my anteaters and has been used on a number of exotics but I don't know for sure if it'ss safe of possums.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:48 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:The one rehabber told me "For fleas you can use DILUTED critter oil if they are above 115 grams. DO the smallest dose you can. OR it has been proven that advantage for dogs is safe (in tiny doses) on opossums... Maypop opossum just got rid of her fleas using the advantage. The dose is from the >60 lb dog packet, but only a itty bitty bit diluted in water. Advantage doesnt soak into the skin like the other horrible flea products, it sits on the surface ... ID STILL USE CRITTER OIL.. i havent tried advantage on the smaller ones, maypop was 9 lbs. Just to be safe use the critter oil. I would discontinue bathing because it wil dry the babies out.. try wiping diluted critter oil on the babies with a soft warm cloth."

But I didn't actually have much luck with that on my dogs so... But she does mention using advantage if needed too.

I used revolution on my anteaters and has been used on a number of exotics but I don't know for sure if it'ss safe of possums.

While he is young, he's no baby. He weighs in at, I think, 2,600ish grams. For sure in the 2000s. A bath every now and again probably won't hurt, but frequent bathing will usually result in poor skin in most mammals. I say this because, in avians, daily bathing is highly encouraged and necessary to prevent dust build up and to keep feathers clean. Baby opossums, yes, water will dry them out. You actually helped me out with Ozzy's dry skin a a little near furless baby. I'll try diluted advantage and see how that works.

I was hoping the Seresto collar would work, as I imagined if little kittens can wear it, then certainly a full grown opossum could. I'll see what I can find on the active ingredients and them... If nothing is found, I may test it to see if he has any negative reactions. In cats it seems to be hit or miss, even with the dog collars it is. Some people report that their animals lost fur around the collar, or developed sores, some even bleeding or weeping, hence why it's recommended, at first, you only put it on when you can supervise. I think it all amounts to this... That animals with sensitive skin may not find Seresto right for them. While the label may say for dogs or cats, doesn't mean all dogs and cats will be agreeable with it. My Doberman has sensitive skin, it probably wouldn't work out for her. She'd have to be heavily supervised for the first month or so if she did have one.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."

Return to “MARSUPIALS”