PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Infuriating

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Infuriating

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Cool. :) I can't wait until it's done. That's a clever name for the website. ;)

Have you tried "starving" him onto the food? Not literally starve, of course. But just not feeding him in the morning, during the day, or evenings. Just late at night. With foxes, it works. It's how I got Fable eating raw initially since he was so weirded out by actual meat at first. :roll:

Though maybe opossums are more delicate than foxes. Foxes tend to be quite durable, and it sounds like opossums are usually very fragile creatures.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:25 am

Ash wrote:Cool. :) I can't wait until it's done. That's a clever name for the website. ;)

Have you tried "starving" him onto the food? Not literally starve, of course. But just not feeding him in the morning, during the day, or evenings. Just late at night. With foxes, it works. It's how I got Fable eating raw initially since he was so weirded out by actual meat at first. :roll:

Though maybe opossums are more delicate than foxes. Foxes tend to be quite durable, and it sounds like opossums are usually very fragile creatures.

Thanks~

Well, considering they sleep up to 16 hours a day, they don't eat throughout the day like most other animals. They usually eat during their nightly scavenge and that's it.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri May 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Just a note on the chocolate thing:
Chocolate contains theobromine, an alkaloid which is toxic to all animals in sufficiently large doses. For some reason, humans metabolize it unusually quickly, but it's been known to kill black bears.

I've met a lot of people with stories of dogs eating whole bars of chocolate and being OK. I assume that this is because A. they're large dogs, and B. the chocolate is probably a Hershey's milk chocolate bar, which is only about 10% chocolate.

I would never feed chocolate to any animal other than a human unless I was trying to kill it. Since birds and bears can't metabolize theobromine quickly, I imagine that the ability is an unusual one. I don't know when in our evolutionary history our anscestors gained the ability. It's possible it applies to other primates and even rodents but I'm inclined to doubt it applies to marsupials.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”