PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Teach a kangaroo not to kick?

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

veralidaine

Teach a kangaroo not to kick?

Postby veralidaine » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:52 pm

One of the animals I'm interested in is a kangaroo. I saw this cute video of a kangaroo playing with a dog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjJU_2QuryA

I was just wondering, would you have to put time into teaching a kangaroo not to kick, with yourself and other creatures? Because, I mean, their kick is super dangerous, isn't it? I wonder how you would go about it.
Luxe

Re: Teach a kangaroo not to kick?

Postby Luxe » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:28 am

Well, first off, I'll state the obvious.

Don't let a cute video cause the usual,"Aw, I want one." It's highly irresponsible and, ultimately, makes us responsible exotic animal keepers look bad. People generally dislike us, as is, because they're on some 'it belongs in the wild' crusade. The whole 'aw it's cute I want one' thing just adds to the problem.

IF you're truly serious and wish to give the best life possible, I highly recommend you read ALL of Lynda Staker's books. It is a full study on Kangaroos. Granted, it is a study of Kangaroos in Australia, but it helps to know these things. As always, don't let just one book fill your mind. Read all the sources you possibly can. If you're wanting to be a serious and responsible exotic animal keeper, you will go through all the hours of research to make sure you can provide this precious life everything it needs to be happy in your home. As always, if it can be helped, I encourage people to do strenuous homework prior to buying/adopting ANY animal, exotic or not. I know, sometimes, situations just happen where it just.. happens... but if it can be helped, please do your homework. Don't just run out and buy one because you saw a video on youtube. Don't just ask one question and be satisfied.

http://books.google.com/books?id=37e1Aw ... &q&f=false

Kangaroos are also on my list of 'maybe someday's. I fully intend to read all these books, and then some, prior to purchase. It is the least I can do. Being as I have not currently researched on them(focused on the here and now, at the moment), I'm not too terribly knowledgeable in them, but one may humor the idea of positive reinforcement training.

As in, if your kangaroo develops a kicking habit, when said habit is performed, either walk away or give a nice, firm scolding. Don't yell, but be firm. You could also use distraction, or rewarding other positive, desired behaviors with a treat or activity they enjoy.

If what little knowledge I do have serves me right, I do know they use kicking as a defense mechanism, so it's not necessarily desired to eradicate this behavior, just make sure it's being used in an appropriate manner. First, though, maybe you should ask yourself why? Were you moving your hands too fast, in a way that may be seen as a threat? Was the dog scaring him/her? Did he/she see something threatening or scary? There is flight and there is fight when it comes to things like threats, scary things or situations, etc. Flight is the obvious, hopping away at full speed. Fight is to kick. So, once again, it may not always be so much of an aggression issue as it is an issue of fear and/or misunderstanding.

If I come off as rude, I do apologize. I'm blunt. I speak truth. I speak my mind. That's the way I am and probably always will be.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Good post Luxe I meant to get to this later but forgot. I was going to say we never had problems with our wallabies kicking but there was that one joey who wasn't neutered yet that turned out to be a boy and was getting a little wicked, he'd more jump all over your and scratch though instead. All of them were mother raised though just with intense human handling and exposure to be tame instead. That being the case they didn't play with people too much even though they would seek us out for attention. If they were feeling frisky we'd swing a bag or something for them to play with instead. Defense and offense behaviors are also used in play they just wont be done seriously so with less strength but a full sized roo might not know it's own strength. So if they do want to kick in play have them do it to something else like when fox owners direct their foxes to bite on a toy instead of their hands.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:14 pm

TG, that's what I was thinking, about the possibility of them kicking in play. That sounds like a good way of going about it.

Luxe, a kangaroo is also on my 'maybe someday' list. I definitely want my first exotic pet to be something smaller like a skunk or genet (although I'm really leaning towards the genet). The video just piqued my curiosity. I'm definitely someone who thoroughly researches and prepares for an animal. I'm thinking that once I move into my own place, I'm going to get some rats and I'm planning on reading tons about them; I've already been watching tons of youtube how-to's on them. It's almost to the point of paranoia how much I want to be prepared haha
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 pm

veralidaine wrote:TG, that's what I was thinking, about the possibility of them kicking in play. That sounds like a good way of going about it.

Luxe, a kangaroo is also on my 'maybe someday' list. I definitely want my first exotic pet to be something smaller like a skunk or genet (although I'm really leaning towards the genet). The video just piqued my curiosity. I'm definitely someone who thoroughly researches and prepares for an animal. I'm thinking that once I move into my own place, I'm going to get some rats and I'm planning on reading tons about them; I've already been watching tons of youtube how-to's on them. It's almost to the point of paranoia how much I want to be prepared haha

Not to discredit rats, but they're fairly easy and worlds less complex to care for. Though, I may say this since I already have large parrots, have had high maintenance reptiles(such as high humidity ones), and an opossum(which is not as easy as some others may make it out to be). I also have a rat by the name of Shirley. She is an albino patchwork(double rex, kind of). Basically, change their litter every now and again, like maybe once a week, always have food and water available, and handle for a little while daily to keep tame. They aren't like a parrot in that they need an hour to three hours of physical interaction a day.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."

Return to “MARSUPIALS”