PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Opossum smell

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Boscopossum

Opossum smell

Postby Boscopossum » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:33 am

Hey there!
Noticed this morning that Bosco smells a LOT more musky than normal today. It was pretty unbearable, actually. Haha. Is there any way to keep him from smelling so awful?
Is it because he isn't neutered? Can you even neuter an Opossum?

Thanks!
Luxe

Re: Opossum smell

Postby Luxe » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Boscopossum wrote:Hey there!
Noticed this morning that Bosco smells a LOT more musky than normal today. It was pretty unbearable, actually. Haha. Is there any way to keep him from smelling so awful?
Is it because he isn't neutered? Can you even neuter an Opossum?

Thanks!

You can, yes. Since they're marsupials, it's similar to neutering a sugar glider. I could tell you how to do the procedure, but I'm sure you wouldn't be comfortable doing it on your own. If Bosco is legal, you may want to take him to an exotic veterinarian with marsupial experience for this procedure. I know my preferred vet said they would do it for about $150, while our local exotic vet said about $350. As pf the moment I've decided to leave him be.

Like sugar gliders, male opossums do have a gland on their chest that can produce a bit of a musky smell. I should probably add this to my site... At any rate, you may notice his chest has a bit of a yellow or orange coloration. That's where the gland is. However, male gliders also have a gland on their head that creates a bit of a bald spot. Male opossums seem to only have the one.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Additionally, let me tell you why I say 'if he is legal'.

Now, I won't judge if you're illegally owning an animal, I've been known to do this from time to time, too. We all do what we can. I always warn people, though, with illegal animals, that taking them to a vet or showing them publically could land them in hot water. The vet, or whoever happens to get offended in public(or maybe they're genuinely concerned and not a 'belongs in the wild' crusader), has every right to call the Game Warden on you. If you're found to be harboring an illegal animal, they can take your friend away from you. Now, in situations of wildlife, they may euthanize, rehabilitate and release, or place them in a home with a rehabilitator if rehabilitation doesn't go over well. In the case of other wildlife not native to your location(like tigers, elephants, etc) they may place them in a zoo or euthanize. It is rare they ever choose rehabilitation and release in their country of origin.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:41 am

You are in luck. There is a product called Bi-Odor that you put in their water. AND it works. Actually there are a couple of different brands, bi-odor is just the one I use. Its made by marshall and I got it at amazon.com. I give it to my skunk. Its an all natural product and isn't harmful at all. I got the 32 ounce size and its lasted several years. Enjoy.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:22 am

I tried bi-odor when I first got Pua. I think it made her smell worse lol. It doesn't work for all species.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:49 pm

Did you try Goodbye odor (also Marshall)? I didn't realize ant eaters had musk glands.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Well I don't think they'd be called musk glands but their violet gland releases a very powerful skunky smelling oil but mostly noticeable just when upset and they can release a skunky "fart" from their anal glands but contrary to some reports on the net it's nothing like skunk spray just releases an odor in the air. Plus like foxes their pee smells skunky. They also get a really weird smell when in heat, like old bologna sandwich but I'm not really sure where that's coming from. I've had them at the vet and been asked by other clients while waiting if my dog got skunked(as they hadn't seen what was actually in the crate yet). Even their breath smells a bit skunky but in a pleasant kind of way, in my opinion any way.

I thought the ferret stuff would help with the skunky smell but maybe it being different glads and sources of the odor was the problem. I didn't try any others. I know there's a "small pet" version too.

Do they advertise a kind that works on gliders? That would be most likely to work for an opossum if so since more closely related.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Well I did find this. Seems to be made specifically for gliders. Can't say I've ever used it, mine never smelled too horrible.

http://www.sugargliderinfo.org/store/od ... nator.html
Boscopossum

Postby Boscopossum » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies!
(Sorry mine is so late. Haha)
I'll definitely look into the Sugar Glider stuff! Seems like that could be an easy fix to the problem.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”