PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Candy Canes?!

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

Re: Candy Canes?!

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:58 am

Luxe wrote:My grandmother had two little yorkies, at one point, and fed them human foods pretty frequently. Maybe once a day or every other day. They lived for a good while, maybe 8 or so years, got gum disease, eventual kidney failure... it all just was a huge landslide after the initial diagoses... They died not too far a part.

Unfortunately, I'm betting genetics had more to do with that than diet. Many small dogs (especially the toy variety) are just not healthy genetically. At work the other day we had a full grown yorkie that, I kid you not, was the same size as one of my guinea pigs (about 2.5lbs). :roll: Surprisingly, the sweetest yorkie I've met yet. Most of them are bitey little suckers, Teddy just wanted to be held and loved on. :lol:

I'm not saying that diet doesn't influence diseases, it certainly does! But "human" food every so often in moderation will not affect the lifespan of an animal that drastically. Even poor lifestyle choices can lead to long healthy lives because genetics are a bigger factor than environment. Which is why plenty of people can smoke multiple packs a day and not die from lung cancer, but someone who has only been around a few smokers in their lifetime can because they were predisposed to it. :icon-frown:

But, it seems to me that you're talking about people who just don't know any better. Is there any way of politely suggesting to read your care sheet or other's care sheets about why that's incredibly unhealthy? Or maybe ask one of the moderators to post a copy of a care sheet for diet at the top of the group?
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:07 pm

BlueBaby1023 wrote:
Luxe wrote:My grandmother had two little yorkies, at one point, and fed them human foods pretty frequently. Maybe once a day or every other day. They lived for a good while, maybe 8 or so years, got gum disease, eventual kidney failure... it all just was a huge landslide after the initial diagoses... They died not too far a part.

But, it seems to me that you're talking about people who just don't know any better. Is there any way of politely suggesting to read your care sheet or other's care sheets about why that's incredibly unhealthy? Or maybe ask one of the moderators to post a copy of a care sheet for diet at the top of the group?

I've tried warning the main offender a few times and they only responded once with a 'he's a picky eater', pretty much... It's sad that the main offender, both a rehabilitator and one of the more well known opossum groups(and also a breeder, I think), chooses to justify a poor diet with such a horrible 'reason', if you can call it that. It's hard to make a difference when people don't want to change or work hard to get their babies on healthier foods. I can't tell you how looong it took to get my cockatoos on fresh fruits and veggies. It was a long, hard process but I know they're healthier for it...
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:00 am

Yeah, a cheeseburger and ice cream sandwich... That's definitely a no-no...
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:20 am

Ash wrote:Yeah, a cheeseburger and ice cream sandwich... That's definitely a no-no...

Yep... And after I'd posted about that he had an entire slice of pizza the next day. :/ ... I'm sure you've seen the other post, so you know how she's trying to justify that and is claiming that this is the only time. I've reviewed her whole page, it's not the first time. He also appears to have little to no vegetables in his diet(I say this because all pictures food related show no vegetables, and one picture showing his 'normal' also had no vegetables). My last effort to try and help her seems to have failed... It would appear she would rather point fingers and scream,"I'm a victim!", rallying her fans, rather than actually care for her animal properly and be an advocate for responsible exotic keeping and opossum education.

She is, by my book, an animal abuser...
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."

Return to “MARSUPIALS”