PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Slandered

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Luxe

Slandered

Postby Luxe » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 pm

So, I decided to say something to the owner of OZZY THE OPOSSUM (ironic, right), and she decided to bash me, instead, and now has her whole page calling me an idiot while she continues to feed him pizza, cheeseburgers, sweets, etc.

Whatever vet she takes him to is an absolute idiot.

I thought my message showed both high concern and that I wasn't calling her bad in any way, just that she needed more research so that he lives a long, healthy life... but, as I said in my prior thread... You can't change people who don't want to change or put effort into things...

Once again, we see the 'he's a picky eater' statement... Makes me think a certain someone has spread her horrible plague of carelessness to a newbie opossum owner... I'm absolutely infuriated.

Yes, I posted this under my personal Facebook, as I do not want my website getting negative publicity. I'm trying to help, not make a problem worse, and I come across as abrasive, at times, which a lot of people don't like and take deep offense to. I really tried to be nice, here, despite my disgust, but THIS really crosses my line.

If you feel like speaking on behalf, as I'm banned, feel free... I'm disgusted by this CHILD'S behavior.

Trying to spread this message:

I'm going to post here since Ozzy the Opossum has banned me. Please share this message, if you can.
I'm sincerely sorry you seemed to have taken offense to my legitimate concerns. I only want what's best for all animals, and am of firm belief that any and all pet owners should take it upon themselves to research day and night, and work diligently with them.

I do not mean to be rude, but I do not know of any vet that would condone the feeding of large quantities of sugar, or excessive amounts of human junk food, loaded with preservatives, grease, oils, and fats that aren't even good for us.

I'm showing concern about your opossum simply because they are highly prone to Metabolic Bone Disease, a very painful, slow, and potentially fatal disease. I would hate for anyone's beloved pet to go through this, and am only trying to warn you so that you may save him from this excruciatingly painful fate.

If you don't want to listen, that's fine. I'm just trying to help.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
Luxe

Re: Slandered

Postby Luxe » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:40 pm

Been reading more of peoples' statements on there... Aside from people like her and the other group making this seem to be ok, people are also of the belief that just because they may happen upon these foods in our trash makes it totally ok to feed these things... Sigh...

Edit: Was watching a video she posted a little while back... Either it's the clicking noise mature mating opossums make while trying to find a mate, or I'm too late and he's showing the beginning stages of MBD(jaw snapping)... He is very young(born in May, much like my own Ozzy), and is at very high risk for developing it at this age... I shouldn't get so upset over someone else's responsibility, but it breaks my heart to see an animal so close to me be treated in such a way... I weep for any animal that has to endure an owner that appears to have poor judgement/excuses/hardheadedness/etc... Gonna go grab my boy and just hug it out.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:47 am

Well, it seems someone tried to get my message across, probably in a better manner, but the owner of Ozzy has just made it abundantly clear that she does not want to provide Ozzy proper nutrition, instead feeding him a diet consistent in junk foods like pizza, cheeseburgers, vienna sausages, scones, etc. She claims Ozzy does not have a long standing history with human foods, and is only getting this junk food spree because he was recently neutered, yet older posts would state that he's been given whole scones, yes, plural, in the past, along with other things like Vienna Sausages(absolutely chock-full of cholesterol, it's why I stopped eating them). He also appears to have a diet consistent in fruits, little to no vegetables, and deboned poultry and other meats, like pork.

It appears as if she is content to spread this misinformation to her fan base and give all of her opossums imbalanced diets(yes, she has more than just Ozzy, and there is evidence they also eat junk food, such as a picture of 'Basil' eating a slice of pizza).

Here it is:

Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:09 am

Annnd now she seems to be calling anyone that's trying to help 'haters' while all her followers say we know nothing about opossums, are idiots, morons, and other crude terms.

Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Now she's claiming that he didn't eat for two weeks when she tried to feed veggies, yet none of her posts, from the start of her page to now, indicate such a thing. No concern about eating, no concern about weight loss, etc. I personally believe she is trying to come up with excuses to justify her poor decision and unwillingness to take responsibility. I believe that she is still childish, in nature, as she has framed me to be the bad guy and appears to be rallying her followers by taking the 'hater' route, making it seem like she was the victim of an attack, when she misread my wording and completely misunderstood, as I meant the food was horrible, and not her.

Additionally, my mistake, Basil and the other opossums apparently belong to a vet tech... Think this person may be to blame for her lack of knowledge. That's one problem with people in job/hobby positions that would make them appear more knowledgable. If they don't actually know what they're talking about, they can do a lot of damage, because people think they know better and will believe them.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:14 pm

That's why I love my vet. She is more than willing to admit when she doesn't know something so we work as a team with the anteaters. She relies on what I know through research and I rely on her medical knowledge(and ability to get prescriptions) and together we make a pretty good team for working with a species very little is known about.

Where as when I tried the "exotic vet" he outright lied about his tamandua knowledge and experience(he had none) and was always convinced he was right and didn't listen to me. I could go into a bigger rant about that now but just don't trust a vet until they've proven they can be trusted.

But more specific to this situation is that learning about your species will help you to know if the vet really knows what they are talking about or not too.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:21 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:That's why I love my vet. She is more than willing to admit when she doesn't know something so we work as a team with the anteaters. She relies on what I know through research and I rely on her medical knowledge(and ability to get prescriptions) and together we make a pretty good team for working with a species very little is known about.

Where as when I tried the "exotic vet" he outright lied about his tamandua knowledge and experience(he had none) and was always convinced he was right and didn't listen to me. I could go into a bigger rant about that now but just don't trust a vet until they've proven they can be trusted.

But more specific to this situation is that learning about your species will help you to know if the vet really knows what they are talking about or not too.

Very true. That's why I'm keen on staying with my preferred vet and just working it through than trusting the local exotic vet. I've found that, sadly, most exotic vets, when faced with an uncommon exotic, will claim they have uears pf experience with said exotic just to get the person's money, even if that lie puts the animal at risk. My vet has proven himself through and through, both through the good and bad, and has shown he does not care about the money, but cares about what's best for the animal in question. He may not deal with exotics, but I know my knowledge can help pave the way, if I needed assistance.

Whoever she's taking him to not only seems to think this diet of junk food and fruit is ok, but that it's acceptable to hold him by his tail. A post she made earlier stated they were 'having a lot of fun' with him. A picture later showed him being held by the tail... He's too big to be held in that manner. A baby, yeah, they don't weigh enough for it to be a concern, but an older one?... I hold Ozzy's tail when I hold him to let hi. Know he's secure, but he would freeeaaak out if he dangled by his tail.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:19 am

I can totally see why you're so upset about it when people feed their animals human food, especially since you keep encountering people like those above. These people shouldn't own these animals if they are not going to care for them properly--or listen to sound advice... Especially since opossums seem to be super fragile creatures as it is...

I'm perfectly fine with admitting I'm wrong. If someone has concerns about my animals, I WANT to hear it. Then either I can educate them, or they can educate me. Too many people try to save face, and that only spreads more bad info and harms more animals.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:48 am

Ash wrote:I can totally see why you're so upset about it when people feed their animals human food, especially since you keep encountering people like those above. These people shouldn't own these animals if they are not going to care for them properly--or listen to sound advice... Especially since opossums seem to be super fragile creatures as it is...

I'm perfectly fine with admitting I'm wrong. If someone has concerns about my animals, I WANT to hear it. Then either I can educate them, or they can educate me. Too many people try to save face, and that only spreads more bad info and harms more animals.

Exactly... I wish she would listen, I wish she would try... I've made one last effort to make her see. I made sure not to really point any fingers, and just offer advice, instead... If she doesn't acknowledge this, or decides to post it as another attack, then she's officially an animal abuser, by my book. At that point she knowingly causes harm to the wildlife in her possession, as she has been told and fails to acknowledge it, or even look into what is being said to see if there is any truth to it.

"I sincerely apologize that you took my statement as an insult. To offend was my last intention. I was not saying you are horrible, I was trying to say the FOOD was horrible FOR HIM. This has nothing to do with you, as a person, your other furbabies, or anyone else. If I came off as insulting, I'm sorry, I was only trying to help you, one opossum lover to another. I know you love your Ozzy, just as I love my Ozzy(yes, I actually do have an opossum named Ozzy, too, he came from a roadkill mother). Admittedly, I could of made things more clear and worded it better, for that I am sorry.

As animal lovers, I'm sure we both want to spend as many happy years as possible with our special babies. I was only trying to warn you that this path will only cause him great pain, and you, as well, as he, most likely, will not live as long as he could have on a balanced diet, free of heavily processed foods, high fat content, sugar, etc.

I understand that he is a picky eater, so is mine. I'm actually trying to formulate a kibble that is nutritionally sound, for opossums, with the current knowledge we have, today, of them, so there won't be as much worry and fuss about if this item is ok, or if that is ok in this amount, etc. I'm even going to share it with the public, for free, to promote healthy diets, just as soon as I've made something Ozzy actually approves of(first batch was too bland and had too much fruit).

Anyways, forcing it on him probably isn't the best method to use. Not all animals will eat -any- food item because they're extremely hungry. Try to mix it in with things he likes. Ozzy will eat vegetables if I slather it in blended apples(no core). Ozzy loves loves loves apples. Now, just because mine loves apples, doesn't mean yours will. That part is up to you, as you know his likes and dislikes better. While junk food is not desirable, maybe rub some pizza on the vegetable to get him more interested in it. It will be a start toward a healthier future, where, one day, maybe he won't rely on fruits and frequent human treats because he's too stubborn to eat his veggies. Blend it together, if you have to, it may be enough to get him started. (I've actually watched your page for a while, but my news feed did not show your food items until recently, and then I proceeded to go over the whole page. Just thought you should know vienna sausages are very very high in cholesterol.)

I have done tons of research on them, including documentations made by veterinarians and their knowledge of them in the veterinary field. I've read anything and everything I can find about them, so that I may provide the best possible life I can for my boy, as I know they don't usually thrive too well in captivity. Knowledge about opossums is not too readily available or easy to locate, at least, not for adult care and dietary needs. I stumbled upon the veterinary studies by complete mistake, which resulted in my findings of adult dietary needs. In fact, I believe that if more people had access to this knowledge, and spread it, that, maybe, we'll find that opossums live longer than we thought. Wouldn't that be amazing, to spend an extra few years, or maybe even more, with your opossum? Lord knows that other exotic animals, way back in the day, did not have as much information on care as they do today. Their standard of care has improved so much, over the decades, thanks to people who continued to study them and analyze their specific needs. As a consequence of our efforts, they live longer, more fulfilling lives.

Despite how people have chosen to view me on behalf of your post and my error in wording, I am still willing to help you help Ozzy. You may message me if you want some advice, I'd be happy to help. I'm only interested in the well being of all opossums, including Ozzy. At the very least, take some time to find some validity to what I'm trying to tell you. A good place, and important place, to start would be with the calcium and phosphorus ratio necessary to keep Metabolic Bone Disease at bay. Ozzy is at a very vulnerable point in his life, as his bones are still growing. He will be very prone to this, for some time. I can even give you links to my sources, if you want to do it by yourself. Please take my plea into consideration."
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:09 am

Well, that would work on me. Blending works well for my anteaters. I follow a picky capybara and that doesn't work for him so she places the good items with the tasty but bad items in a bowl together(like side by side) though this doesn't seem to work well for him either as he then refuses to touch anything in the bowl, the plus side is he's no longer eating that bad item at least. He does get healthy stuff like bamboo but she's trying to make it healthier.

Aurora is so picky but mixing worked to get her started. I can't remove fermented dairy(yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream or sour cheese) as she will literally starve herself and need not only me to give in but an appetite stimulant to even get her back onto bad for her food. So I just top it with a light drizzle of listed bad item and she will eat it a big bowl of the good food.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:36 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Well, that would work on me. Blending works well for my anteaters. I follow a picky capybara and that doesn't work for him so she places the good items with the tasty but bad items in a bowl together(like side by side) though this doesn't seem to work well for him either as he then refuses to touch anything in the bowl, the plus side is he's no longer eating that bad item at least. He does get healthy stuff like bamboo but she's trying to make it healthier.

Aurora is so picky but mixing worked to get her started. I can't remove fermented dairy(yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream or sour cheese) as she will literally starve herself and need not only me to give in but an appetite stimulant to even get her back onto bad for her food. So I just top it with a light drizzle of listed bad item and she will eat it a big bowl of the good food.

And, see, I don't think that's so bad. At least she's eating good items. At least the Capybara owner has, based on what you've said here, had a long history of work rather than, for one, using a poor method for only two weeks and giving up like this teenager has. It wouldn't be so bad if she actually worked hard at it, trying everything imaginable, for several months. It took my cockatoos over a year to get over their irrational fear(not really, but lord you'd think fresh fruits and veggies were demons in disguise the way they acted at times) of healthy food items. I mean, granted, they do eat a varied diet of dried foods that include dried fruits and veggies, but we all know nothing beats fresh, and I wanted to give them that extra health benefit. It was long, hard, and strenuous, but all the time I put forth succeeded. Basically forcing it onto an animal for two weeks and deciding it's impossible isn't actually trying. :/

Quite personally, I'd love to be as blunt as I am here, but she's 'one of those people', as I say, that takes offense to bluntness and sees it as a personal attack. She'll probably be more open to my statements if I say I'm in the wrong(even though I know I'm not), that is, assuming she even cares(lol). I know she blathers on how she loves her opossum, and I have no doubt in my mind that she does... but, thing is, if she REALLY loved him... she'd either be more open minded and fess up when she's in the wrong... or realize she can't handle it and find him a more suitable home. Part of me says neither of these things will happen and he shall walk the path many opossums before him have gone...
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:07 am

See, this is Ozzy's dinner for tonight. Turnip greens, celery, peaches, chopped whole sardines, and some apple sauce on top. A little more fruit than I prefer, and not the best ratio, but if it gets him eating his greens, then so be it. It's a start. I'm hoping the fish really helps. I know that, generally, the smellier it is, or even more aromatic, the more interested they are.
loggerchain

Postby loggerchain » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Well from my point of view shes an animal abuser. And in my mind feeding an animal everything that could possibly kill them and make them unhealthy is the same as not feeding them. And that is animal cruelty and should be a fineable offense along with a manditory clause not allowing her to have any animals. Im not trying to be mean but i have a no tolerence policy for stupid animal owners. She should be turned in for cruelty
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:37 am

This girl seems to be quite young. Highly doubt she's actually 18. But good lord, just reading the things on her page made me mad. There's probably nothing anybody can do over the web to help her understand that what she's feeding Ozzy isn't healthy... In situations like these, the owner usually learns after the animal gets sick or dies, because they're too obstinate and defensive to take the advice from others. It's sad to see an animal and know that it'll eventually pay for the ignorance of it's owner though. icon-sad

Most of the food she feeds Ozzy is so high in preservatives, sugar, and salt, that I wouldn't even eat it. :cry:

EDIT: Ozzy has died due to "old age"....
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).

Return to “MARSUPIALS”