please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Wearing Down Canines?

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Luxe

Wearing Down Canines?

Postby Luxe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:41 am

Now, I know this may be a legitimate health concern, especially since the opossum they showed me looks alarmingly gaunt, but, if not, has anyone heard of such a thing? Wearing down the canines of captive wildlife? I'd understand if there was additional tooth build up, but if not, if just for the safety of the owners.. the only thing I can ask is 'why do you have one then?' I really can't understand things like that. Once again, assuming it's not a health condition. If it is, I really hope they find a GOOD veterinarian that won't lie to them, like the owner of Ozzy the 'Oppossum'... Still wish she would wake up and smell the coffee, if you get my drift.

"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wearing Down Canines?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:29 pm

It's common with coati's. The baby canines are removed then the adult canines can be filed down to not be as sharp. They are like razors and owners have been slashed open to the point of needing a trip to the ER even just from rough play. Many remove claws too but you could file those instead. I honestly would advise it in coati but they are an exception.

I also know of a couple cases where dogs had PTSD and would wake up biting anyone near them and the vets filed their canines down to avoid serious bites.

I can't think of any good reason for it in opossum though. They sound like they may be confused. Like thinking their teeth keep growing like rodents or something.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:28 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:It's common with coati's. The baby canines are removed then the adult canines can be filed down to not be as sharp. They are like razors and owners have been slashed open to the point of needing a trip to the ER even just from rough play. Many remove claws too but you could file those instead. I honestly would advise it in coati but they are an exception.

I also know of a couple cases where dogs had PTSD and would wake up biting anyone near them and the vets filed their canines down to avoid serious bites.

I can't think of any good reason for it in opossum though. They sound like they may be confused. Like thinking their teeth keep growing like rodents or something.

I dunno.. You know I want a coati but I'm not so keen on altering an animal in such a manner, personally. I know Castleberry Exotics removes the canines on their coati babies. I don't think Janda does.

At any rate, good point. A lot of people think they're rats, so.. :/ We'll have to see what they say, assuming they respond. I need to get a good shot of Ozzy's to show 'em. Problem is he either won't sit still long enough or when he is sitting still(sleeping), he doesn't wanna open his mouth, lol.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:27 pm

This might be slightly different, but I have a friend who once had a marmot (passed away from old age now). Its front teeth grew too long one time and needed to be filed down by the vet, which she had done when it went in for a necessary surgery.

I think she told me it didn't have enough things to chew on that would naturally wear its teeth down. I've heard the same can happen with rats too if you're not careful, but we always made sure our rats had enough chews.

Maybe opossums are like that too? Will their teeth grow out if they are not being worn down by chews? I really don't know much about opossums, so not sure how relevant my comment is.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Nah the continuously growing teeth is a rodentia and logomorpha issue but I suspect she is thinking that though.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:52 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Nah the continuously growing teeth is a rodentia and logomorpha issue but I suspect she is thinking that though.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if it was just exclusive to those kinds of animals or not. Thanks.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:22 pm

It's pretty exclusive. One exception would be tusks as they keep growing but they don't need worn down like the rodents/rabbit teeth do.
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Tamanduagirl beat me to it :) No, Marsupials do not have this problem. If they did my sugargliders would of died from that long before the succumbed to someone else's lack of education(adopted from a family who fed a diet of human foods, seriously why is this such a prominent problem?).

Return to “MARSUPIALS”