PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fear Mongering

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Luxe

Fear Mongering

Postby Luxe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 pm

No, I don't take kindly to it. :) Was my response too harsh?

Added just a little:

"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fear Mongering

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:42 pm

I sometimes wonder why people "like" certain things only to then go on about how bad that thing is. Doesn't make much sense why you would like a page and then post negative stuff like that.

I guess I can understand about them not wanting wild possums around--wild animals becoming dependent on people isn't really a good thing. And if you have pets, probably not a super good idea for some of the reasons they listed. But to infer that all possums are carries of diseases and that you should release yours is just silly and ignorant.

But you see it all the time with any exotic--the fear-mongering. Especially with rabies vector species like foxes. It won't go away no matter what you do, say, etc. So the best we can do is educate the uneducated and hope that they learn.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:53 pm

Ash wrote:I sometimes wonder why people "like" certain things only to then go on about how bad that thing is. Doesn't make much sense why you would like a page and then post negative stuff like that.

I guess I can understand about them not wanting wild possums around--wild animals becoming dependent on people isn't really a good thing. And if you have pets, probably not a super good idea for some of the reasons they listed. But to infer that all possums are carries of diseases and that you should release yours is just silly and ignorant.

But you see it all the time with any exotic--the fear-mongering. Especially with rabies vector species like foxes. It won't go away no matter what you do, say, etc. So the best we can do is educate the uneducated and hope that they learn.

I agree, I don't get it, either. It's more common for them to have parasites than it is for them to have the listed diseases, as far as I know. That's why it's important to have fecal tests done to rule out parasitic infestation. :/

I feel as if this person was implying they should be killed because they -may- carry these things(though, the way they worded it seemed to insist that they -do- carry these things), or be taken away from humans based on that premises alone. Nothing to do with compassion regarding co-dependence and poor diets as a result of becoming dependent on human scraps from living amongst us.

I do agree that our scraps lead to their undoing. Not only is the food normally bad for them and eventually lead to their demise(assuming something else doesn't get them), it also attracts them to the exact same people that this person seems to be. Those that would rather fear what they don't understand and purposefully kill it. People like that don't even think twice. They don't ask questions. Often times you have to bring the information to them for them to even begin to realize, and even then, it's a big IF. A lot of them are too fearful to even listen or acknowledge the fact that they help us far more than they harm us. :/ I get the feeling this person may be one of 'those people' that just won't listen no matter what you say. It's a true shame that they end up being a part of the problem.

Can you believe I've even had to explain to a Fish and Wildlife employee that, you know, just because they may happen upon, say, a piece of cake in the trash, doesn't mean that it's healthy? If we didn't encroach on their habitat, they would still be peacefully eating slugs, leaf litter, plants, rodents, snakes, carrion, etc. People just assume that because they're scavengers or carrion eaters, that surely anything, and I mean ANYTHING, is ok for them to eat, when, often times, it leads to their death(this kind of mindset, I mean).

Edit: Also, these same people are usually the ones behind exotic ban pushes. :/ Either too fearful, too stubborn, set in their ways, what have you, they don't want to listen or care to listen, and that is also a real shame. While I still have a Blood Python, I don't really consider myself a 'herper' anymore(as I used to have a much better collection). I know the criticisms they face, they're just like the ones other exotic keepers face. Right now they're having to fight to keep their Burmese, Reticulated, and African Rock Pythons because of these kinds of people. It's not only those kinds of people, but also those that would happily blame the entire group for irresponsibility rather than blaming those that are actually irresponsible. I don't believe a whole group of people should have to suffer just because of some bad apples, just as all pitbulls shouldn't have to suffer because of the irresponsible owners that make them do bad things. It's usually not the owners that get the bad rap, it's the animal, and it's really really sad.

My issue, as an avian keeper, isn't really situated around irresponsibility. We honestly see it more of a 'stupidity' issue. We're having to fight against the CITES list so we can take our babies places rather than having them state-bound. There is a member here I was actually discussing this with earlier(you know who you are :) ). The CITES list, if a parrot species ends up on it, causes the parrot in question to become state-bound. They absolutely CAN NOT leave the state/cross state-borders without a permit. This really hinders not only the market, but rescues as well, as it makes it incredibly hard for that rescue to find a home for -that- species. Fish and Wildlife, for these species, often won't give a permit to pet owners in these situations, if you're looking to buy/adopt from out of state. They'll really only humor a permit in the situation of research or breeding. I happen to have one of these species. He became state-bound after we got him... and we have one more that CITES is looking to add... and if they seriously start to consider the Umbrella Cockatoo, well that's another one... and it's really hard for us, because we love taking our babies places to see new places and new people. :( The avian community, mostly, thinks it's a little stupid, as our captive bred populations really have nothing to do with the populations out in the wild. It's not like they can be released, and it's not like I ever intend to breed my babies... so why do this to us? We don't understand.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Carrier: "A person or an animal that shows no symptoms of a disease but harbors the infectious agent of that disease and is capable of transmitting it to others."

People also misuse or misunderstand "carriers" or "Carry" and say it like they harbor it with no ill effects to themselves. Like raccoons are carriers of rabies, well sure they can catch it become ill , possibly pass it on, and die from it like everyone else. I prefer the text that refer to them as a reservoir species for rabies meaning raccoons do tend to have rabies more often than most other wild species. That's probably not even true for the diseases listed of the possums though.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:44 pm

I think it's just what people have been fed their whole lives. I grew up with parents that told me rabbits and birds and such belonged in the wild. And, to them, they were wild. But with selective breeding they aren't so wild, and it's sad that people don't understand the difference. In general, people are just uneducated about animals.

It was like walking through Petco today picking up some wood chews for my rabbits/pigs and I heard a mother tell her son that ferrets are rodents. She then looked up at me and smiled, to which I smiled back and said politely "No, actually, they aren't. They're carnivores, like a cat." Needless to say, she wasn't happy about that and said she just wanted to make them sound unappealing. Why are rodents so unappealing? They are fun if you know how to handle them. :roll:

I don't know who you're talking about! :lol:

But honestly, it just makes me want to wait. It is incredibly dumb, though, to need to be on pins and needles. I don't think I could ever afford to be state bound because we certainly aren't planning on staying in Florida for the rest of our lives. I don't know exactly where we're going to end up, but the plan is definitely not to stay in Florida. Too many crazy stories here. :roll:

Then again, that's the whole reason that them being CITES listed isn't a good idea. And there are far too many birds in rescue as it is.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes