PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Brush Tailed Possums

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Luxe

Brush Tailed Possums

Postby Luxe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:07 am

For the longest time I've been enamored with the Brush Tailed Possum, and have decided to add them to my list for 'maybe one day' exotics.

So... in preparation for the future, one, does anyone have experience with them as a pet that they can share, and, two, does anyone know of any breeders in the US? I personally can't find one, which is a real shame. People apparently have them in the UK, though. :/
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brush Tailed Possums

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:51 pm

They are on a federal banned list. You need a very special license to have one. I know of only one non-aza person/entity with one.

http://www.fws.gov/contaminants/Display ... EDC103F6FB
Luxe

Postby Luxe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Well that's a real shame... I only heard they were illegal to import from overseas. Welp, that just makes another exotic I wanted on my 'never gonna happen 'cause the US is phobic/people are stupidly irresponsible and responsible keepers get punished for it' list. So now that will be the Giant African Land Snails, Fiji Iguana(actually claimed by the island of Fiji, but the US is the only country that respects that), and now the Brushtail Possum goes on that list. Sigh... Oh well.
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:48 pm

from what i see on that link, they are banned from import and interstate transport, however if someone in your state already has one for sale you should be able to buy keep it without any federal issues (then you have the state and local laws to 'enjoy')
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:17 pm

naja-naja wrote:from what i see on that link, they are banned from import and interstate transport, however if someone in your state already has one for sale you should be able to buy keep it without any federal issues (then you have the state and local laws to 'enjoy')

That is the case with a number of species within the US--like lemurs, for example, can't cross state lines. What it does though, is it really thins out the number of breeders of these endangered animals to the point that they are stopped being bred. And that's a problem. You can only have so many customers wanting a certain exotic animal in one state--not to mention it's probably illegal in most of the cities anyway. It's a big problem.

Why are these guys banned again? Are they considered "invasive?" Because in that case, there probably aren't any here at all.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:05 pm

Yes they are listed as injurious wildlife (AKA invasive). This is because they along with some other Australian imports are invasive in New Zealand, though that hasn't caused Wallabies to be banned yet so I think a bit more weighs into it than that, like maybe their wider diet or something.

Lemurs are different as they are listed as endangered rather than invasive so it's a bit different rule wise.

You can not import, transport or aquire which means you can't own it without the license. This explains it better: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9525

Return to “MARSUPIALS”