PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Monito del Monte

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TexasYankee

Monito del Monte

Postby TexasYankee » Fri May 22, 2015 6:52 pm

One animal which I'd really like to try raising is the monito del monte, the only living member of Microbiotheria. Since Microbiotheria appears to have diverged from Austrialian marsupials before the two orders of South American marsupials diverged from each other, it would appear to be the most genetically distinct of all living marsupials.

Locals in its habit (Chile and Argentina) see it as a bad omen, which is a shame, because it's adorable. So it's not kept as a pet and doesn't even seem to be captured for meat or fur. It doesn't seem like zoos keep these at all, even in its native countries, so filling its requirements would be a matter of trying to imitate its native habitat as closely as possible. Since it's shy and hibernates through the winter, breeding it would probably mean building a large, climate-controlled habitat.

Also, since Chile is a developed country and Argentina tries to pretend it's one, I imagine getting the permits to trap and export it would involve a lot of time, money, and government agencies.

Despite all this, I'd really like to keep a "mountain monkey-let" someday. Someday when I have a lot more disposable income.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”