PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

yapok - Water possums

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

yapok - Water possums

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:45 pm

They eat strictly fish and crustaceans, have webbed feet and a flat tail. There is someone in the US raising them now, yay. These are fairly new but he said he's had four eyed opossum and bare tail woolly opossum live to 10 so that is hopeful news on lifespan if fed right.

web image cuz he makes his posts friends only and don't want to get in trouble.

Ps: he also raises black-eared.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: yapok - Water possums

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Interesting. Do you know what he actually feeds his? I imagine it would be difficult to maintain a diet of crustaceans, although the fish part would be easier. Like maybe he feeds them tilapia or something.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:12 pm

That's what he actually feeds them and being willing to feed them as natural a diet as possible is probably one of the reasons he's been successful with them and other rarely seen more difficult to raise species. They also need to be kept in a climate controlled tropical enclosure with warm pools, and they are fed in the pools. Not easy keepers for sure.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Cool. Sounds like a difficult little critter that needs a more zoological setup. That's neat he's working with them and so many other species.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Wow - thanks for sharing, Mary! I didn't know this critter even existed. I think most people would be hard-pressed to accommodate owning one, but they'd surely be a great addition to a zoo. I'd love to have a Virginia possum, but their short-life span deters me. Three years is just too short to love something and then it's gone.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:06 am

never seen the water possum before. sounds like they would be difficult to raise.
I like the regular possums, but not their tail. reminds me of a rats tail.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:41 pm

Not exciting if one asks me, considering that they might be as some said hard to keep, therefore their breeders mainly consist of "not a pet" brokers/breeders
Bora Kalem
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:14 pm

With something that difficult deterring people is for good reason. Most people who say USDA only will actually sell to someone who isn't USDA if they are able to demonstrate they will be a good home for the species. The importer I got Pua from said the same thing to me, It was a wait but I kept in contact with him and eventually got her from him. I got my USDA after getting her. Lets face it, if it's really hard to keep alive maybe it's a good thing not to sell to just anyone and making sure a new home is qualified/able to actually take care of it isn't such a bad thing.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”