ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Sugar glider

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxyjadda

Sugar glider

Postby Foxyjadda » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:41 am

I was thinking of get a sugar glider and ,Do you think they arent the pet for a 12 year old .I was hoping to get 2 females so while I was in school if they woke up they will have each other to play ,with until I come home. I know they are nocturnal but so am I :hin: . but I think that will change as I go to school at 7 in the Morning, but right now its summer but I will have more than two hours for them each. i will save up the money for them I added up everything they need which came up to 247.67 without the price of the sugar gliders itself which can price between 150-500
I heard the cost the care is 8-10 dollars after the first year I think that Iie but okay I know they need a speical diets of fruit and insects and supplement we are moving soon to where allow sugar gliders
Do you think I should get sugar gliders or should I just wait until I am more mature and have more time and money for them ( and I won't be getting them until I get the money and the research which is about maybe 2 years It took me 1 year to get 152dollars that spent on my turtles so maybe 2 year if I work hard) Oh yea I was thinking of getting
one that needs to be rehomed reasons
1)needs a home
2) maybe come with their own cage and food
3)cheaper
4) had human contact
5)Might knows not to bite

And also is this a good cage for 2 female sugar gliders http://www.petco.com/product/106171/PET ... atsHutches
It is 16.5"L x 22.5"Wx32

And if you want to put in and pull out any information okay if you want to yell at me for thinking of such go ahead I am open for information and I am here to learn about every animal that crosses my mind
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Sugar glider

Postby sarajeku » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 am

I have three sugar gliders, and in my opinion, they're not a good pet for someone in grade school or high school. There's too much uncertainty with life situations. You still have to go to college, and if you go to a college in a state or county or city that doesn't allow them, then you'll have to rehome them.
They require a lot of special attention.
When I bought mine, the gliders themselves cost me $250. However, adding up the total cost of everything else and shipping to get them here, it was nearly $1000.
Rehomed gliders are usually not good starter gliders if you're looking for gliders that know not to bite. They are usually being rehomed for a reason. ie: not friendly, on the wrong diet and smell bad (that's an easy fix though), they were an impulse buy and the person doesn't know how to care for them.
The $8-10 has GOT to be a pellet diet, because the diet I have my boys on is WAY more expensive than that (unless you mean daily). lol Pellets will keep your glider alive, but they'll be sickly and stinky. They won't thrive on it.
http://www.thepetglider.com/index/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27 This is the diet I have them on and they don't stink unless I don't clean their cage for a few days.

How much research on sugar gliders have you done? Do you realize they can live up to 15 years if treated properly?
You may be a night person now in the summer, but once you start school and have to get up early, will you have time to stay up late and play with them for 2-3 hours at night? They won't get up in the middle of the day to play with you. My three are as sweet as can be, but one of them is so cranky when I wake him up, he'll bite me. If he's already awake, he'd never think of biting me.
Are you prepared for them to be VERY noisy all night while you're trying to sleep? They bark, crab, run on their wheel, jump around their cage. If you don't have a spare room for them, be prepared to lose sleep. I did when I first got them. Now they have their own room.
They can't be potty trained. At all. Ever. The first thing they do when you let them out is 'go' on you or your floor or curtain or where ever they are. The only thing you can do is hope they stay on a paper towel long enough do their business before they start running around.
Who would petsit for who while you're away if you go anywhere while you have them? You can't take your cage to someone else's house while you're on vacation. It'll freak them out terribly, and they would need to know the person very well if they were going to be let out. I don't trust anyone with my boys, so I don't ever get to go on vacation.

They need a bird cage without those platforms in it. They jump around a LOT. The size looks okay. I can't tell from the picture how far apart the bars are, but the bars need to be pretty close together (less than 1/2") otherwise they'll get out.
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:51 pm

sarajeku wrote:I have three sugar gliders, and in my opinion, they're not a good pet for someone in grade school or high school.

Okay

Rehomed gliders are usually not good starter gliders if you're looking for gliders that know not to bite. They are usually being rehomed for a reason. ie: not friendly, on the wrong diet and smell bad (that's an easy fix though), they were an impulse buy and the person doesn't know how to care for them.

Okay so it is best to buy from a breeder I will keep that in mind

The $8-10 has GOT to be a pellet diet, because the diet I have my boys on is WAY more expensive than that (unless you mean daily). lol Pellets will keep your glider alive, but they'll be sickly and stinky. They won't thrive on it.

I though that is this a good food or should I prepare food http://www.sugar-glider-store.com/glide ... e-32-.html

How much research on sugar gliders have you done?

To be honest I don't think I did to much :icon-frown:
Do you realize they can live up to 15 years if treated properly?
that yes I know
will you have time to stay up late and play with them for 2-3 hours at night?
yes because i love to do my homework durning lunch that when i get home i have no home work
They won't get up in the middle of the day to play with you.

Yes I know they need their sleep like we need ours
Are you prepared for them to be VERY noisy all night while you're trying to sleep? They bark, crab, run on their wheel, jump around their cage.

Yes I know I can sleep through anything my moms friend asked me to watch her puppy for the weekend and he was crying all night but I slept through it and my sister ( who sleeps on the bottom of my bunk bed) was mad at me because she could sleep so I think the problem is my sister if she wasn't a light sleeper
They can't be potty trained. At all. Ever.

yes I know I read something that said when they wake up Give them 10 mins to them selfs be fore playing with them so they can us the bathroom

Who would petsit for who while you're away if you go anywhere while you have them? You can't take your cage to someone else's house while you're on vacation.

My moms friend she said when she was younger she had one named sugar cube and she talked me into getting one

The size looks okay. I can't tell from the picture how far apart the bars are, but the bars need to be pretty close together (less than 1/2") otherwise they'll get out.

Okay
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
More to come hopefully!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Foxyjadda, I just wanted to add that I think you're very mature for your age. You're doing all the research you can, and are welcoming all responses whether they be positive or negative.

Sarajeku does have a lot of experience with gliders. She's probably the best source of information on them the board has. If you are really interested in the species, I'm sure she would be willing to answer your questions.

A little off-topic, but I figured it kind of applies to the situation. Are your parents excited for you to get sugar gliders? I'm not saying you would shove the responsibility on them, but it's always a good question to ask yourself.

When I have kids, I will let them get animals that I want. Then, if there is ever a time when they stop taking care of it, it will become "Mom's pet." lol. I can use it as a breeder, as snakefood, or however I want to (though I will just keep it as a pet). If it's an animal I really don't want, I will not let them get it in the first place.

So, at any rate, I think it would be best if maybe instead of them being your sugar gliders, they were your family's sugar gliders. High school can be pretty tough, and there may be some days where you honestly just do not have the time to devote to them. It would be good if your family loved them enough to pitch in and want to take care of them since they would be a family pet.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Thank you - for the mature part :lol:

I asked my mother and. Father about a sugar glider and my dad said he is happy to help take care of any animal as long as it doesn't chew on his shoes
My mother was quiet she does really like animals but she loves the idea of me writing down every pieace of info and give it to her
My pets
More to come hopefully!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Well that sounds great that your father is excited. And that your mother is willing as well.

Keep doing your research, and learn all that you can!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 pm

YES MA'AM ! :mrgreen:
My pets
More to come hopefully!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:45 pm

The dry food you linked is not good for gliders alone. You could probably give it to them along with their daily diet. Mine get a bit of pellets during the day in case they wake up, as an addition to their actual diet. But as their main food, it isn't good for them.
There are three different diets (all that you would have to prepare yourself, all pretty strict).
One is called BML, one is called HPW, and the other is Priscilla Price's diet (which is the one I use). There's one that I don't know much about called LGRS, but you could easily look it up. I'm sure there are others, but those are the best I know of.
You need to pick one of those and stick with it. Using a dry pellet food isn't good for them. Any website that you see promoting pellet food for gliders is most likely owned by the largest mill breeder for gliders in the country (Perfect Pocket Pets).

I personally recommend Priscilla Price, if you do end up buying gliders from a breeder. She's in Texas, but she ships. She's very helpful and will answer any questions. She called me when the flight got delayed to let me know I shouldn't worry.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Well what about flying squirrels? They are a bit easier to care for thats for sure. I dont find they have an odor at all either.
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Yea I reading everything on the
http://www.thepetglider.com/index/index ... &Itemid=39
I think I should get my gliders from her/him

Lasergrl: flying squirrel ? Never looked in to it I just told my dad what does he think of flying squrirrel and he asked if flying squirrel are legal in long island
My pets
More to come hopefully!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:27 pm

That is Priscilla Price. I highly recommend her. Her babies are very well socialized, and she will introduce your pair before she sends them to you, to make sure they all get along. If you get boys, she'll also take them to her vet and have them neutered if you ask her to.

These are my boys; they came from her. It's the only picture I have of all three of them together. If they're not in their cage, I can't get a picture of them together. lol
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Aaaaw! They are adorable, Sarajeku!

The place where I interned got five or six sugar gliders, all in one day that needed to be given up/rehomed. :shock: All six of them snuggled so tightly together inside a little cloth Teepee. I was shocked that all six of them could fit! Do your boys ever pack themselves in together? Do sugar gliders just normally do that?

I had some rats, and they would, but not to the extent that these gliders would. They could really squish tiny.
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Aww your babies are Soo cute

Okay I don't which I should rather get a male or female and i was thinking of getting two of them
First I was a thinking of two males raised together but then I read that even if they was raised together the will fight each other
So I though I will get two females but then read that males are usually more of a better pet than a female so now I am just plain right confused
It will be my first pet glider and I don't want then to fight but I also don't want them to fight but also I don't want a crap

I know I know don't believe everything you read but the internet is all my info I got because my mother doesn't like bringing to the library so now I must do Internet learning
My pets
More to come hopefully!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Yeah, they're very social. They sleep in a little fleece pouch (even smaller than the tent) I think I know what kind of tent thing you're talking about, because I have one too. haha My boys only sleep in there occasionally. It's not small enough for them. They like the get as close to each other as possible, so they prefer the smaller pouches. I can fit all three down my shirt in my bra at once, and they just curl up together in a little ball. Although, I do get some pretty interesting looks if they start moving while I'm sitting in class. Since I'm majoring in animal studies, my teachers welcome them in class. I don't recommend everyone taking them to work or class unless it's okay with your boss or teachers.
Anyway, if I take one out and leave the other two, then the other two will bark for him until I put him back. It sounds like a tiny puppy. There are tons of videos on youtube of gliders barking. I don't have any videos of mine though.

Foxyjadda, I have three males and I've never had any problems with them fighting. Mine are all neutered though, so that could be a factor. I really recommend getting your male neutered if you get one anyway. It really cuts back on their marking and odor. If you're really worried about fighting, you could get a neutered male and a female. (I repeat, NEUTERED. If not, they'll breed and you'll have a baby that will need special attention and you won't have space and money for). But I've never had any problems with my three boys. I haven't had girls, so I can't answer which is better. I love my boys though.
But you DEFINITELY need more than one. A single glider alone will get depressed. No matter how much time you spend with it, there is no replacement for having that social interaction with its own species. It needs someone to sleep with and interact with when you're not around.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:09 pm

That's too funny! :lol: I cracked up laughing when I heard that. I've considered bringing my little snake with me to class sometimes, but haven't yet. I do curl him around the steering wheel when I'm driving to pick someone up though.

So do your sugar gliders stay asleep in there? Do you ever worry that they'll try to get away?

Return to “MARSUPIALS”