PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Quoll

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quoll

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:53 am

I'd never heard of them before, but I just happened to stumble across them while reading up on exotic cats. They're not cats though.

Unfortunately they're native to Australia, New Guinea, and New Zealand, so I doubt you'll ever be able to find one. But does anybody know if there are any in the US or other places other than Australia? Are they in any zoos?

They're kind of cute. If you google a picture of them, there is an "eastern quoll" that's black. It reminds me of a spotted skunk, and I think it's pretty.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quoll

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:29 am

They are neat but I've never heard of any out side of zoos. Columbus zoo has them.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri May 22, 2015 3:06 pm

Apparently Rewilding Australia has been encouraging Aussies to keep them instead of cats in the three jurisdictions (Victoria, South Australia, and the Northern Territory) where it's legal to keep native Australian fauna.

As mentioned in another thread, Australia doesn't allow the export of any of its native fauna except for zoological purposes. However quolls are present in New Guinea, on both the Indonesian and independent PNG side of the island. Same for bandicoots and a number of other interesting marsupials.

Does anybody know what Papua New Guinea's export laws are like? I have a fantasy of one day going to Papua New Guinea, collecting a bunch of quolls and bandicoots, and establishing captive populations in the US. (Actually, I'd rather someone else do that and let me buy a captive-bred quoll and bandicoot, but I don't see that happening.) Unfortunately, the New Guinean bandicoots are less cute than the Australian ones, which might make it hard to persuade people of their appeal. The quolls look just like Australia's, though.

I imagine it's very easy to export animals from the Indonesian side of New Guinea. Unfortunately Indonesia is currently way too easy to export animals from. I think that even if I had the money to go to New Guinea and collect animals and PNG didn't allow me to, I wouldn't do it from the Indonesian side. Though I probably would buy a captive-bred descendant of Indonesian animals if someone else imported them. I wonder what that says about me.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 22, 2015 3:38 pm

Not too bad feral wallabies are regularly imported from there. An importer did bring in a bunch of quolls but they all died due to poor husbandry and bad diet and everyone was just out the money they paid for these animals that died on them.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”