PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Virginia Opossums?

Wallabies, kangaroos, Sugar Gliders, Possums, Quolls, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Moonfall

Virginia Opossums?

Postby Moonfall » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Pretty much the same questions as about anything else- what kind of pets are they?

I just need lots of info. :3 I am currently weighing options, and I want a species which is a good fit for me.
Foxyjadda

Re: Virginia Opossums?

Postby Foxyjadda » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:38 pm

I want one too.
As I read they are better than most dogs and cats,They easliy litter train and rarley get Rabies.
I would think they would be more indepdent but what I read said they would come and suggle with you.
I am doing most my research online so thats the best information I could give at this moment maybe some one else my pop up with something else to say.
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
blacksagephoenix

Virginia Opossums?

Postby blacksagephoenix » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm

(I think) I read that opossums have very poor eyesight, like a skunk, and I know skunks are really nippy because of that reason, they smell food. It would be good if someone on here can confirm if opossums are nippy.
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:13 pm

A member here called Amanda has some, and talks about them in her introduction thread. They sound really awesome, but only live 3 years! :(
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:31 pm

It's so upsetting that they die so young.. I have a rat who's almost three and it is heartbreaking sometimes to watch him. He's a bit underweight now and he's got a bit of muscle atrophy. It's due to aging but I can't do anything to help it except feed him ensure every day for his weight. He's well loved and he still tries to play with his much younger cagemates, and he's happy.. but it makes me sad, because I know some day soon my baby boy is going to have to make the journey over the bridge without me.

I wish small animals lived longer.

I've decided on a ferret, waiting on parental approval right now.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Asked to be sure I wasn't giving wrong info, I have several friends with them.

Consensus: They only nip if you have food on your hands or are feeding them by hand and aren't aggressive at all.

Bonus info: they are awesome but neutered males are best.

They seem to see pretty well but not great.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:15 pm

I read a study on aging in opossums once. They start showing aging signs at 1 year so are old by 2 years.

In extremely rare cases some have lived to 10 years but they don't know why. There was no real difference in their care. You can't exactly breed for longevity as you don't know till to late but a rich person could keep a bunch then clone the ones that lived the longest then start a breeding program.

Average is 2-3 years.
blacksagephoenix

Postby blacksagephoenix » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Any idea how well they play with others? I have been doing some research recently because a rehabber friend of mine has a male baby she acquired at 3 days old that she has to tube feed. He is just now old enough to release, but she is sure he is too bonded with humans to be released. He is super friendly and comes up to anyone and everyone. She has asked me if I would take him in and give him a home if he ends up not wanting to leave, which her first attempt was unsuccessful. I have yet to find any information pertaining to cats and opossums. My cats play well with Sika, my fennec, so I am assuming they will do well with a opossum, who will be larger than a fennec. Ofcourse they will be introduced slowly and always supervised, but I wanted to know if anyone has read anything about them doing okay together, and has any suggestions on the best way to introduce them. For the fox, we kept her in her cage and let the cats explore the house, one hour at a time, then put them back in the bedroom and let Sika out to smell the room. After a few days of this, we let them out together and now they all play great. The cats will stalk Sika and hide and pounce on her, never with claws. But I know opossums scare easy, and play possum. I am nervous that this will be an issue. Advice, suggestions, comments?

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
blacksagephoenix

Virginia Opossums?

Postby blacksagephoenix » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Well, update on the possum that needs a home. I just received more details and he is actually almost 1 year old, so not a baby, but bottle raised from 3 days. I know it is always a bad idea to get a mature exotic, but would that still apply with opossums? Anyone have experience with rehomed adults? He has been in a foster home so he is not caged much, and he is not yet neutered.

the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Maybe you could meet him and see how he does. I've heard that they're docile critters so he might be fine.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Got a lot of opossum friends on FB so asked one of them

they rehome fine... make sure he has a lot of room to roam.. they walk alot ...

it will be loosing his mom or dad that will be rough... whoever he is attached to in his current home... when i went on vacation for 14 days, zohey fell into a deep depression at didn't eat.. she had room to roam and plenty of food, but mom was gone

if there is any way your friend can supply the current owner with clothing she/he has worn so that the opossum can learn their smell, it would make the transition easier on the opossum

as soon has the opossum familiarizes himself in his new home, he should start to emotionally attach to the new mom/dad.. it will just probably take some adjusting ..

the possum should be fine with the cats, he he has been around cats before .. my possums love their cats .. but the fox may be a mouth opener.. lmao

From someone else who saw it on her wall
Syler was 1 1/2 when she came to me. She had to adjust, but did great. She's incredibly laid back and seemed to take it in stride...
blacksagephoenix

Virginia Opossums?

Postby blacksagephoenix » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks for the information. It is very much appreciated. We may be going to meet the little fellow tomorrow. It's a 3 hour drive one way, but I'll make sure it's as quiet and relaxing as possible for him. If we were closer, I could give a piece of clothing for a few days first, but that's not possible. I will, however, see if I can get something of the foster parents to put in his cage with something of mine as well. We will start with giving him a bedroom to himself, and his cage open in that room as well. Then move his cage out to the living room, where Sika's cage is, and let him see the cats and Sika through the cage. We can have the cats roam in the living room for a little while, then put everyone up, and let him out to explore and smell for a few hours, and just alternate for a while. I'm excited!! :) Oh, and I'll be getting two female STOs in 6 weeks, when they wean! Keeping them separate ofcourse.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm excited for you. I'll be interested to hear about all the possums.
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:11 am

Oh, how exciting! I have to say, I'm pretty jealous. Post lots of pictures.<3

I would have gotten one but they die too young, like my rats. I can barely take it when my rodents die. I don't need to loose my most treasured companion any sooner than necessary. (My search for exotics was a therapy animal. I ended up with a ferret, who I just adore, and who is perfect for me and my life.) I love all of my animals but my go-everywhere animals always hold a special place in my heart because we bond so well when we go adventuring together and share the world.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:08 am

It'll be great to have a Virginia Opossum owner regularly posting on the board! They're on my wishlist.

You could mail your clothing with your scent.

Return to “MARSUPIALS”