PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New pig

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Re: New pig

Postby the_unstable » Wed May 07, 2014 11:10 am

I'm worried that the ivermectin didn't work for some reason...paranoid probably but there have been no worms in her stools at all. I suppose the first owner could have de-wormed her...but still. She's still itchy, and flaky, but I guess the treatment will take a while. I rubbed shea butter into her skin to help sooth the itch and moisturize. It seemed to help.

She has still not made any housebreaking mistakes since I brought her back to my boyfriends. I am very proud of her. It would be nice if she could stay as primarily an indoor pig, but if that doesn't work out, that's fine too as we have outdoor space available for her. She does enjoy rooting on the lawn. Right now she's curled up in a blanket that we have hanging off the couch. She makes a nice pig in a blanket ;)
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:21 am

the_unstable wrote:Right now she's curled up in a blanket that we have hanging off the couch. She makes a nice pig in a blanket ;)

That sounds really adorable! Also, that would make the best new meme on the internet! :)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Ivermectin can kill some internal parasites but it's not a general wormer. If you think she has worms you should use panacur. It will also depend on the species of worms if you see any. In some cases they die and are digested or break down and you never see them.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat May 10, 2014 12:09 pm

She seems to be doing better since she had the ivermectin. Her skin looks better (less flaky) and the skin around her eyes doesn't seem so puffy and wrinkly. I don't think she has worms (well, I mean I don't have actual evidence or reason to believe so), I just kind of assumed that she would. I am not sure if she's ever been dewormed or not. I suppose I should probably get some panacur to be sure.

She's such an interesting little lady. When she thinks there is food involved in any activity, she follows me around the house and will look up me and blink her cute little eyes, with her mouth covered in frothy saliva. I've noticed that she has an obsession with tape and stickers. I put bumper stickers on a plastic tub and she went over and peeled them off. She enjoys taking packaging tape and duct tape off of any surface. I have duct tape covering a hole in a rabbit cage and she keeps moving the cage away from the wall to get to the tape and peel it off.

She also really likes being hot I guess. We have large vents (about a whole square foot in size) for the heating system. When they come on, she gets excited about it and lays on top of the vent until it turns off. The other night, it was 85 degrees in the house and she still curled up inside the comforter that hangs off the couch onto the floor (doing "the pig in the blanket" thing as my boyfriend and I have now been calling it when we ask the other where she is).
Altanana

Postby Altanana » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:58 am

This seems to be a tad late but if you check with the food for mini pigs called Mazuri it says to give 1.5 to 3% of body weight split in two meals a day so seems you are definately overfeeding and will have a very large pig. Pigs will eat as much as they can and as often as they can. Hope you got this info before this.

I just got a micro mini for my great grandson for Christmas and I am caring and training it until Thanksgiving. I give her 2TBS of food per day as she is less than 2#. I am still giving her a little watered down All milk because she isn't ready to give it up quite yet.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Adorable, I want to have a pig (or two) later when I have some land. :mrgreen:
I don't know much about them at all yet, but one thing that really bother me is seeing these mini/potbelly pigs so hideously overweight as they often are. So make sure she stays in shape (I'm sure you know what you're doing), and for example, I found this site some months ago: http://skippingkunekunes.com/pig_weights
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi guys. Idgie is about 10 months old now, based on my estimation anyway. She lives outdoors because I had moved her back to my parents house and they didn't want her indoors (understandably). She escapes into our larger fenced in area which contains her pen on a frequent basis. They are smart, stubborn animals. Very noisy and demanding. She will follow me and stop in front of me while I am walking and I have tripped and almost tripped many times. I can no longer pick her up because she is too heavy, but she doesn't look that large. I'm guessing she's probably like 50 to 60 pounds.

I did see the information regarding the food on the bag but I haven' bothered to weigh it, especially since I do not know her weight. She does not appear to be overweight and seems small to me for approaching her first year of age. I am not worried about it. She currently gets about a cup and a half of food a day.

She has done some major damage to the lawn, as pigs do, when she has escaped. I would honestly not recommend them as pets at this point, especially not house pets. They are smart and friendly and unique animals, but they have many negative traits. I have owned many different animals, including raccoons, and I think that pigs smell much worse and do more damage than a raccoon does (though granted I didn't keep my raccoons running loose in the house, nor the pig). They are very noisy. They aren't great indoors due to the incredible odor even one bowel movement or puddle of urine produces. To anyone considering a pig, please research thoroughly and get experience with pigs before buying so you know what you're getting into. These are farm animals that are best kept outside.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks for the insight. :) I do wonder about the micro pigs though. The smaller they are, the easier they are to manage--I would imagine.

Wow, she sure grew a lot, lol. I like the name Idgie. :) It's cute!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:19 am

I have heard mixed things about micro or tea cup pigs, with some saying no such thing exists and that they are just underfed pigs. Then there is the other side, which is of course people saying they exist (and often selling them for crazy prices). The label for Idgie at the auction said "teacup" and she was only $100. I'd need one heck of a large tea cup to put her in, but I also don't think she's a big animal either. Small or big, I think they still have the same obnoxious behaviors, it's just that the larger ones have the power behind the desires to do something about it and get what they want.

Thanks Ash :) I think we named her Idgie because we kept calling her Itchy because she would scratch a lot when she had mites. Thanks to Lasergrl, I realized we had a problem and treated her. She no longer scratches more than a pig should, but we stuck with the name Idgie, which sounded like Itchy, but is from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes.

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”