PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New pig

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

broski1984

Re: New pig

Postby broski1984 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:54 am

I'm glad you were able to get it out without stress. If you have any on hand, Blukote (I believe I spelled it correctly) is great to put on the wound, as you can spray it from a distance and it does a pretty decent job of preventing infection. Just make sure not to get it on yourself, as it does not wash out of clothes.

Both you and the vet are technically in the right though, with everything other than the tool. That was a mistake - using something that couldn't cut the tag - but really, either way of handling it works. While you didn't get her squealing this time, she will at some point in the future, and the food vs. restraint argument isn't always so cut-and-dry. For example, it's easier restraining her (and safer), when it comes to vaccines - as if she pulls away while eating, she could break the needle.

Still though, I'm very glad everything is going well so far. I hope I haven't seemed rude (I tend to, over text)! That's not been my intention at all.

It's worth noting that your girl looks almost exactly like one of our own pigs. If I can get some pictures of him, I'll post them. You could of told me these were his baby pictures, and I would of believed you.

@BlueBaby
Again, I apologize if I seemed rude when correcting on the tags! Unless you had gone to an auction/swap where they required it (and not all swaps do, although they "legally" have to; some are unaware of it, don't enforce it, etc. and it may not be a country-wide thing either), you had little way of knowing - for it's honestly a pretty stupid practice.

Scrapie tags I understand the logic behind, and I've only had a few tags (mostly poorly placed ones) get torn out over the years. Pig tags, however, I don't get so much. A few google searches didn't pull up why they're required, but that's likely because I put the wrong words in. I know, like scrapie tags, they're used to track one specific disease (bronchitis maybe?), but the point is moot since many don't use them (while scrapie tags are comparatively universal).

Still, since they often pop out or rip out, it isn't practical like it is with goats/sheep. Half the pigs I bring home have tags that literally just pop out.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:34 pm

broski1984 wrote:@BlueBaby
Again, I apologize if I seemed rude when correcting on the tags! Unless you had gone to an auction/swap where they required it (and not all swaps do, although they "legally" have to; some are unaware of it, don't enforce it, etc. and it may not be a country-wide thing either), you had little way of knowing - for it's honestly a pretty stupid practice.

Scrapie tags I understand the logic behind, and I've only had a few tags (mostly poorly placed ones) get torn out over the years. Pig tags, however, I don't get so much. A few google searches didn't pull up why they're required, but that's likely because I put the wrong words in. I know, like scrapie tags, they're used to track one specific disease (bronchitis maybe?), but the point is moot since many don't use them (while scrapie tags are comparatively universal).

Still, since they often pop out or rip out, it isn't practical like it is with goats/sheep. Half the pigs I bring home have tags that literally just pop out.

Not at all! I just wanted to clarify why I thought it might be a sheep tag. I agree, tagging pigs is just silly. I don't know exactly why the place tags on pigs either, so it may be for bronchitis but I would think that's unlikely since you can't really vaccinate for that (it's just an inflammatory response of the lungs due to an irritant) any more than you can for say, arthritis. :lol:

I don't know if it's universal, but I haven't seen any tagged pigs out here except those that came from the midwest previously, so maybe it is just regional? Again, I'm not sure.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 pm

For a name, nothing's really been sticking. My boyfriend insists that we name her and started calling her itchy because she likes to scratch herself by rubbing against things (which is a rather amusing sight). I told him no, no more goofy names as I've given my animals plenty of silly names like that, so I changed it to "idgie", like from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. So, we've been calling her that because we can't think of anything we like to name her.

Thank you again everyone for your help! Broski, I did not think you seemed rude at all. I am not sure we would have the ear tag out by now if it weren't for you. I don't have any Blukote, and I'm not sure what it is. Her ear does seem to be healing well. I soaked it with a cloth damp with warm water and cleaned it and applied Neosporin the first day. I haven't messed with it since but it's getting better on it's own. I would love to see some pictures of your pig that looks like my pig.

Do you think vaccines are needed if she will be a house pet and not around other pigs? I talked to the vet about it, and he seemed to think that her risk was pretty low in this setting.

Today I went out and finally got proper food. We had trouble finding the Mazuri Youth and had to order it. Up until today, she was eating some standard pig food that I found at Tractor Supply. On the page for Mazuri Mini Pig Youth food ( http://www.mazuri.com/mazuriminipigyouth.aspx ) it has feeding directions that say to feed 1.5 to 3% current body weight per day. She weighed a little over 12 pounds at her vet appointment, so if I say today that she weighs 13 pounds, and wanted to feed her an average of 2.5%, that would be .325 lbs of food per day. According to the linked page, she would require less than a cup of food per day. Is that right?

It was difficult to find clear feeding guidelines online, and I was scared to not feed her enough, so I was giving her about 1 and 3/4 cup each day. Assuming that is over feeding, that would explain why sometimes her belly felt very firm and why she produced what seemed like such an incredible amount of urine and feces every day compared to most animals her size/weight. I'm just scared that if i follow those feeding instructions, she won't get enough to eat. Thoughts?
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:11 am

Glad to hear I did not come across as rude to either of you. I often get the impression that I do on forums/via text, only because of how I type/write, haha.

BlueBaby1023 wrote:I don't know exactly why the place tags on pigs either, so it may be for bronchitis but I would think that's unlikely since you can't really vaccinate for that (it's just an inflammatory response of the lungs due to an irritant) any more than you can for say, arthritis. :lol:

I don't know if it's universal, but I haven't seen any tagged pigs out here except those that came from the midwest previously, so maybe it is just regional? Again, I'm not sure.

It very likely is regional. When I was a little boy, I vaguely remember going to auctions in Pennsylvania - and I do not recall the pigs having tags there. I also don't remember seeing them on animals in the South when I lived down there, but they have such loose enforcement of laws, it very well could of been a restriction regardless!

When I next see my Amish friends (who work at Shipshe and Topeka) I'll ask what the tags are for, or if they're just an identification system. According to a British friend, in England they tag pigs just for identification and not for any sort of disease control - but it is still legally required. Unsure if he's right on that or not.

the_unstable wrote:I don't have any Blukote, and I'm not sure what it is. Her ear does seem to be healing well. I soaked it with a cloth damp with warm water and cleaned it and applied Neosporin the first day. I haven't messed with it since but it's getting better on it's own. I would love to see some pictures of your pig that looks like my pig.

Blukote/bluecote (unsure which way it is spelled) is a topical medication that is dyed blue (not sure if the dye has any use, or if it's just that way so you can see it) and sprayed from an aerosol can. We use it for most injuries on our pigs and livestock, as it's easy to apply, and we've never had any infections using it. I recommend it if you see it for sale; it's cheap, too.

the_unstable wrote:Do you think vaccines are needed if she will be a house pet and not around other pigs? I talked to the vet about it, and he seemed to think that her risk was pretty low in this setting.

We vaccinate for tetanus only. You can use the same shot as you do on goats; give it twice, at the same dosage. Have your vet do it if you feel uncomfortable, although pigs are easier to do than non-caprine livestock. If the vet feels it is unnecessary, skip it.

Years ago, we had a goat die from tetanus. By time we caught it, the animal was almost dead. It's not a fun disease, so it's the only one I vaccinate everything for. But - then again - it isn't overly common. As she'll be indoors, she is at a very low risk of tetanus, unless she accidentally gets it outside or from something rusty in your house. She's probably safe.

Even with our pigs being near one another and us occasionally introducing new, we don't vaccinate for anything else. Many people don't, which is probably all the more reason why I should. Still, she's likely fine.

the_unstable wrote:Today I went out and finally got proper food. We had trouble finding the Mazuri Youth and had to order it. Up until today, she was eating some standard pig food that I found at Tractor Supply. On the page for Mazuri Mini Pig Youth food ( http://www.mazuri.com/mazuriminipigyouth.aspx ) it has feeding directions that say to feed 1.5 to 3% current body weight per day. She weighed a little over 12 pounds at her vet appointment, so if I say today that she weighs 13 pounds, and wanted to feed her an average of 2.5%, that would be .325 lbs of food per day. According to the linked page, she would require less than a cup of food per day. Is that right?

It was difficult to find clear feeding guidelines online, and I was scared to not feed her enough, so I was giving her about 1 and 3/4 cup each day. Assuming that is over feeding, that would explain why sometimes her belly felt very firm and why she produced what seemed like such an incredible amount of urine and feces every day compared to most animals her size/weight. I'm just scared that if i follow those feeding instructions, she won't get enough to eat. Thoughts?

Pigs go to the bathroom a lot, so that is partially normal. I'd round it up to a cup while she's still growing, but then keep it at the recommended amount of food when she surpasses it. Feed fruits/vegetables to round it out, but do it sparingly. As long as she looks pudgy, she's a healthy weight.

Unrelated, but here's a picture of one of ours (not the one I said looked like her; can't find his baby picture) at about her age:

I can't find a good picture of him now (and, mind, he never looked much like your girl - so hopefully they'll age differently) but let me just say this;

Enjoy them while they're cute.

*Not that they don't continue to have cute personalities, but...
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:12 pm

unstable,
I just love your little pig. so adorable.

not sure if this was answered, but, here is a way to get her weight:
Wrap a measuring tape (sewing type measure tape) just behind the front legs to the "heart girth" measurement. Then measure the pigs length down the backbone from ears to tail.

YOUR BASIC CALCULATION IS: Heart Girth X Heart Girth X Length (divide by 400)

some people add 7 extra pounds if the pig weighs less than 150 pounds .
by this calculation to get a more accurate weight.

Sounds strange, but it will give you weight in pounds.
This calculation is accurate within 3 percentage points of the pigs actual weight.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:13 pm

broski1984,

your little guy is adorable. very nice markings.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:27 pm

pat wrote:broski1984,

your little guy is adorable. very nice markings.

Ah, thank you!

He's a lot bigger now. Not quite such a looker now that he has tusks, haha.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:47 pm

She looks to have mange and will need some ivermectin. That's why she is itching on everything and the skin around her eyes is thick.

As for feeding.
Give her 1/2 cup twice daily and increase as she grows to 1 cup twice daily and do not feed more. If you feeds treats or veggies make sure to decrease her feed portion accordingly.

If she were a 10 pound dog, you would be feeding 1/4 cup twice a day and pigs have an even slower metabolism. 1/2 cup is more then needed.

The snorting will never end, in fact it will get worse. They have a way of manipulating their owners into feeding them and getting their way by being vocal ;)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 01, 2014 12:56 am

Glad you found the thread LG. You're our resident mini pig expert ;) So I was hoping you would chime in.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat May 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Broski, that is one cute pig! Pat, the weighing trick sounds useful, especially when she's too big to pick up and put on a scale.

Thank you LG for saying she has mange. I didn't realize it. I'm surprised the vet didn't either. I will try to pick up some Ivermectin today. Can the other animals (dogs, cats, ferrets) catch it from her?

It seems like lately, her waste has smelled worse. Just absolutely foul. I'm wondering if there is a cause.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat May 03, 2014 7:47 pm

It is potentially contagious though Ive never had a non pig catch it from my pigs. They allll came with it. You have to treat it every two weeks for 3 doses.
If her poops are stinky from worms the ivermectin gets worms also.
Though to be honest, it is pretty smelly normally.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Lasergrl wrote:Though to be honest, it is pretty smelly normally.

One of the worst things. Cleaning the pig stalls smelled like a human outhouse(daily cleaning too).
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon May 05, 2014 9:07 am

She is started on Ivermectin now. I dosed her with it yesterday evening, so no worms in the stools yet, but I'm expecting them. She isn't terribly itchy lately, but her skin got to be really scaly and flaky. Yesterday I also massaged food grade diatomaceous earth into her skin hoping it would have a similar effect that Sevin dust has. I left it on a couple of hours and washed it off with water. She looked really fuzzy, black, and shiny and her skin didn't have the yellow scaly look afterward. Even today, it still looks a lot better. Kinda weird.

I had her out with me at my parents house and was sick, so she spent a lot of time in her crate :( Now that she's back at my boyfriends house, she seems to be doing better as far as having smelly waste. Kinda weird. Maybe stress from being crated was making her waste smell more. Though one benefit of it is since we've been back here, she hasn't made a mistake in the house, she's been going into her crate to use her litter box.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 05, 2014 1:56 pm

The pigs I worked with were treated for mites on a schedule like once or twice a year I think because they can get it from the hay.

They also got rubbed down with oil sometimes for general dry skin. The DE probably helped exfoliate the skin though.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 05, 2014 2:32 pm

That's great she's starting to take to the litter-box. Are you wanting to keep her indoors 24/7 when she's older?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”