PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

How would someone get a wild boar?

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Dowl

How would someone get a wild boar?

Postby Dowl » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:13 am

i know where I am you'd need a permit naturally but I was reading the threads about Gordy and read the care sheet that was posted for boars and saw a few videos on YouTube of hand raising Russian boar piglets and instantly fell in love with their cuteness lol. It always surprises me how smart pigs are :lol: but I looked around the Internet for a possible breeder or price out of curiosity and my interest in them and I was pretty much just bombarded with hunting ads for ranches or trophy hunting. Does anyone know of any breeders? Or could you possibly buy from certain trophy hunting places?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How would someone get a wild boar?

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:41 pm

I see them come up for sale off and on again, actually. So yes, there are breeders and importers out there. You see them on exoticanimalsforsale.net every once in a while, as well as in the Animal Finder's Guide (but you have to buy that one--it's like a magazine).

Keep your eyes open, and you'll find a breeder. It is tough to find breeders for less commonly owned animals, but boars you can find.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Dowl

Postby Dowl » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:12 am

Thanks! Ive heard the Animal Finders Guid mentioned before in a couple of threads, do you think it's worth subscribing to?
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:34 pm

Wild Boar are adorable as piglets, but you may want to get a mix-breed instead if you want a pet because Wild Boar piglets are very fast, prone to escaping and never coming back (this is a common story among keepers) and even expert keepers claim adults are dangerous and pushy, even when hand-raised.
The Iron-age is a hybrid between wild and domestic pigs and is still aggressive and prone to escaping as well as really good at rooting and breaking things, but at least they will be a little more tame.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it or give wild pigs a bad name, because I adore pigs, I just did a ton of research and when I learned all this I was kind of turned off from the idea of keeping the more dangerous pigs. I mean, its like having a huge aggressive dog. My Mom even told a story from her great aunt or something where her mother pig ate a four-year-old girl who crawled into the pen with her.

There are some great mini island pigs that resemble wild pigs but are smaller and friendlier and also endangered breeds that need supported. Ossabaws, Arapaws, Kangaroo Island, and so many more.

Yep, I am a pig nerd, so I'm sorry for the long post. I've been researching all the pig breeds in the world... very nerdy. : )

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”