PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Lulu Hogg

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lasergrl

Lulu Hogg

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:32 pm

I did pick up a pig two days ago. She is a mini mule foot, but honestly think its just some concoction the breeder has been working on for 15 years. The one I picked doesnt have the mule feet, only some are born with the trait. Its actually considered a birth defect in other breeds to have a fused foot so I am way fine with a stanard two toed pig. She is 6 months old, and is about 10-15 pounds. Havent weighed her yet. About the size of a cat. The pen in the picture is 16" tall to give an idea of height. She isnt very friendly, at least not yet. She will eat out of my hand, but only while shaking. If pigs are like exotics it will take a while to warm up. She did bite me once, but not hard, I was trying to give her a cookie, and she didnt want it I guess! She makes some of the craziest sounds. When she is threatened she sounds like a macaque monkey.
we shall see how litter training goes. Come summer she will be outside, but too cold now and she isnt used to it. I have to give her a good bath once she is settled in more. I think she is urine stained, but could be her color. She was on wood shavings and they stain white fur. I also gave her an ivermectin injection, almost positive she has sarcoptic mites.

snakeman

Postby snakeman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:09 pm

she's cute.
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:58 pm

she is beautiful! I love her markings. How big were her parents? Doesnt look like she will get very big to me.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:28 pm

dad is the black one on the left with white around neck

full one year old sister on right

the spotted pigs are Juliani potbellies, they are cute too, but still have too much of a short face and big belly for me.
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:29 pm

is she going to be an indoors girl? I think piggies are great, but like you said I dont want the pushed in snout either. I would love a little pig that looks like a farm pig, but WAY smaller.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:34 pm

I would let her be indoors if she wanted and was clean, but the last couple days have been alot of work. She isnt using the litterbox. I have her in a 2' X 4' pen made from wire shelving. one end is the bed, the other the box. She so far has only been rooting in it and making a big mess, then peeing and such on the bed side, covering it with blanket, then laying on it. I have been putting some mess in the box and so far not working. You cant really pick them up and put them in the box while they are doing it because picking her up is not an option at this point. We will see. She has to be indoors untill the weather breaks anyways.
I have a boar lined up too. I found a breeder in florida that has tiny potbellies that come in wild boar color (striped babies) I am waiting on picks of the parents to see if the body and snout type is ok. He would be meeting me in Mt hope so I really hope they are the right type. I only saw a picture of the babies nursing on moms belly, didnt look potbellies so we'll see.

I was told she would get 30-40 pounds. I think that may be even bigger guess, since she is 6 months old and 15 pounds tops.
BB

Postby BB » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:11 pm

My pigs love to wee and poo in water, but then again they are outside all the time.
Maybe if you collect her wee and put it in the litter box she might associate it as the spot to do business?
If there are no puddles around they do have a standard poo-spot.
good luck
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:43 am

She's so cute!

If I ever wanted a mini pig again, she would look just like yours.

But although I liked them and cared for them a lot, I never did find a productive level of communication with our pigs. I guess we did't have the same kind of intelligence. Or maybe they just hated the fox odor, because whenever I was with the foxes before I went to the pigs, they tried to bite me :mrgreen:
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”