PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tusks

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BB

Tusks

Postby BB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:24 am

Sophia, my red headed, hard headed pig is getting very annoying and dangerous with her tusks.
They are small but razor sharp.
Our previous pig Dozer was desexed and had his tusks taken out when he was little.
Don't ask me why we didn't do that with Sophia.. :roll:
She is two years old and I'm just wondering if I pose any risk to her getting them taken out now?
I spoke to the vet and he reckons the longer I leave it the greater the risk, also in the wet season here(Nov-April) she is more prone to infection.
Also he thinks it is better to bring her into the clinic (Maybe because he makes more money, keeping her overnight?)
I know you don't have wet seasons over there but has anyone encountered such problem?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:43 am

bb,

yes, I had a very large pig that had some pretty sharp tusks.
the pig was very friendly and never meant any harm.
but, just a quick turn of the head if you are standing in the wrong spot of the pig, can cause serious injuries.

can't remember how old my pig was, but, one time, my son (who was a teenager at the time) was standing next to the pig and petting him.
he stood on the side of him. the pig turned his head, to get petted on his head, then the tusks stabbed my son in the leg. it was pretty bad, he had to go to the hospital and got quite a few stiches, the wound was pretty deep. he was off work for two weeks because of it.

anyway, I got scared of the tusks after that, so I had a vet come over to remove the tusks.. the pig was so big, the vet didn't bring enough medicine to knock the pig out or sedate him. my pig was a pretty big guy.
his weight was about 1800 or more pounds.

anyway, the removal of tusks is not really a major procedure.
but, they do grow back.

if your pig is prone to infection, then it would be a good idea for the vet to give your pig an antibotic injection followed by oral anitbotics.

you can wait till after april to do this. but, not a good idea to do it when the weather is too hot.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
BB

Postby BB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:49 am

yes, here you can get nasty disease like Melioidosis (I sure pronounced that wrong..) Our last pig died from it.
So I will wait for the dry season to come: my partner even considers bringing her to the vet in a trailer.
Like you mentioned, the tusks are just too dangerous, and she knows it!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:27 pm

bb,

better to be safe than sorry.
if you could bring your pig to the vet, that might be better.
it is a pretty minor procedure.

how big is your pig?

BB

Postby BB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Yes you are right!
The pic are the animals coming for their daily walk.
Even the geese want to be a part of it... :roll:
Here is Sophia (showing her little tusks) talking to Slinkie the emu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:03 pm

bb,

that is just too cute.
how old is your pig? and what kind is she?

my males tusks, were really long.
the vet cut them. I started thinking, wonder if the vet can just pull it like a tooth, then you wouldn't have to worry about them growing back.

don't know if a tusk is like a tooth.

anyway, I just loved your picture.

BB

Postby BB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:14 pm

Sophia is two years old now and her parents were both black, wild pigs.
She was born in captivity and was fiery red when little.(Not quite sure if you call them Duraks?)

When we got Dozers tusks taken out I think it was like pulling or cutting a tooth out. I don't think it would have grown back...
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:29 pm

then they can be pulled, which I think would be better.
don't know why my vet cut the tusks.
maybe he didn't know how to pull them..

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 pm

removing the tusks is very dangerous and can result in broken jaw bones. they should be trimmed with a gigli wire saw at the gumline. You can do this yourself, or if your pig is wild for restraint the vet can do it. It should only need done once every 1-2 years. It must be wild pigs, since usually domestic females dont get big dangerous tusks!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 pm

lasergrl,
I wondered that. when my friend took her bear to the vet to have him neurtered. she wanted to have the bears canine pulled.
the vet started it, but, stopped, because he said, he would be afraid it would break his jaw.

the vet also told me, that pulling canines out of coons and small animals that are similar could break their jaw.

thank you for telling us that..

is a tusk like a tooth? if the tusk is cut, will it expose a nerve like it would in some animals? my pig had his cut, and it didn't seem to bother him.

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 pm

nope it doesnt bother them, no nerve or blood. They are cool when they come off, like elephant ivory!
BB

Postby BB » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:07 am

thanks for the info, I'll see what they say..
I think my partner wants to try another vet, our last one seems to not care enough...
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:46 am

my vet came to the house for my pig.
he was way too pig to bring to the vet :lol:

once he sedated him, it did not take long.

BB

Postby BB » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:25 pm

If we do it in the dry season, I might just do that, she can stay in the emu's pen for a while (originally the pigpen)
BB

Postby BB » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:50 am

Ok, yesterday was the day. We got the vet around to get Sophias tusks cut off. Lasergrl, you were right, we cut them as she is too old to get them removed completely.
Well, the vet had to give her one injection first to make her relaxed and another one to knock her out. I thought, well we just put a little food down and jab her. (Pigsa#@*) He didn't even get the needle in she turned and bent the needle!
So my partner and I got some ply wood and pinned her against the fence - only to realize the extreme power Sophie has if she wants too.
First she just pushed us both over, on about the fifth attempt to get the (first) needle in she managed to jump :shock: over the board and jam my finger. :twisted:
After a frustrating 15 minutes the needle was in and after a while she got groggy.
She finally laid down (in the worst possible position of course) and the vet proceeded to give the second injection - and up jumps Sophia, squealing and grunting and very unhappy!
The same procedure happened again, we had to pin her against the fence, she jumped the board again, being a pain in the butt and finally after four bent needles we were waiting again for her to pass out.
After a looong time the vet gets the hacksaw blade but as soon as he wanted to start cutting Sophia started moving. She was fighting the anaesthetic to the bitter end.
The vet ended up giving her another shot into the vain in the ear before he could start!
Well, at least I got some nice necklace pendants...... :lol: :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”