please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Help I found an orphan Piglet!

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

MO

Help I found an orphan Piglet!

Postby MO » Tue May 26, 2009 7:26 am

I found an orphaned piglet in my backyard the other day. I am a dog owner and have never had any experience with pigs before. I live above a valley in Hawaii and there are some wild boar that live in the mountains. She was very emaciated and dehydrated, and near death I'm sure cuz she was lying on her side barely moving and I was able to pick her up with my hands. I plan to get her nourished and fed until she's strong enough and then I'll send her to a no-kill animal reserve. I have no idea how old she is but I'm guessing she's very young cuz she's barely 5lbs. I have a few questions to any experienced pig lovers:

1) what and how should I feed her? I"m currently trying to get her to suck out of a baby bottle and syringe filled with whole milk mixed with Carnation milk. I've also placed a bowl with water but I'm not sure if they can lap water at this age?

2) She has TONS of ticks on her! I want to help get them off... apart from manually taking them off with my tweezers/hands, can I use regular dog flea/tick spray on her?

3)And my big question can I use my dog's Advantix? (It's a drop you place on a dog's back to repel fleas, ticks, flies, etc) I want to use it, but the label says not for use on felines, and I worry it won't be ok for pigs? But it seems like dog meds and pig meds are actually quite similar, but don't know the different effects it'll have on the skin physiology since pig's are not supposed to have oily skin.

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Tue May 26, 2009 9:47 am

I would just pull the ticks off for now, some of the other members may be able to tell you otherwise, I'm just not sure.

As for hand rearing the little thing, I found this site:
http://www.thepigsite.com/backroom/155/hand-rearing-a-piglet

Hope it helps and Good Luck!
Mariah
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue May 26, 2009 11:41 am

you can use a syring or bottle to feed the pig. you can use puppy milk, whole milk, goat milk, pigs are pretty easy to feed. they will even eat from a bowl at birth. DONT use the advantix. It too harsh, because she is so ill. You can manually remove them, or use a spray/dip and wash it off very very well.
MO

Thank-you all for quick response...

Postby MO » Wed May 27, 2009 1:57 am

... I'll try my best to take care of her. It's nice to know there are people out there that support the well-being of nature's animals. =)

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”