PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ichy pig

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Trefoil

Ichy pig

Postby Trefoil » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:18 am

My daughter got a baby (4 weeks) pig at Mt Hope Friday. Its scratching all the time. She thinks it may have mites. Could it be something else?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:45 am

probably mites. No big deal. give him an injection of ivermectin in the neck. Potbellies almost always have mites from auctions but its easy to get rid of. Repeat the injection in two weeks and they are gone. Its contagious to people but I have never gotten it and my pigs all had it when I first got them and I handled them alot. Pigs are itchy anyways and could be dry skin but the pig needs the ivermectin anyways for worms even if its not mites.
Trefoil

thanks

Postby Trefoil » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:10 pm

She will appreciate it and Jai will too.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:19 pm

did she get one of the ones from the warm room? Can you describe it if so? I was bidding on some but the price got to be too much. I was bidding on the mulefoot crosses.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:57 pm

She got one of the little black females that were in the small plastic crates with the sheets attached and the tops tie wrapped on. Oddly enough,I think it came from Michigan. She got it because some guy took her to the back and showed her a momma with babies and told her that was what size it would get. I HOPE HE WAS RIGHT. She paid $50 for it and didn't mind because the place she had been looking at wanted 5-700. It was I think 4 weeks old and drinks from a saucer Do you know if she will have to get her spayed or risk aggression? My daughter, her 18 month old son and I went. He was the one mooing at the cattle in the back. Do you know how much the small blond coons in the aggressive room went for? Were they tame?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:20 pm

I didnt see the coon sell, we left about 4 pm or so.

I brought home a zebu, and a painted dessert ram.

Hopefully, the guy was telling the truth on the size. Sometimes people think their pig is small but its just young yet. Pigs keep growing untill 2-3 years old. If the sow has piglets at a year old it is only 1/2 grown.
I got my mini pigs from michigan. They were $500 each and worth it. They really did stay pretty small. Small meaning 40-60 pounds. They weight alot for their size.
My girls are not aggressive even though not spayed. You would be better off having it done if your SURE you dont want to breed her. Some will get moody while cycling. Pigs are moody all the time, its just the way they are so unsure how you can tell :lol: Now the males, they need neutered just because they are gross if you dont.
BB

Postby BB » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:31 am

I highly recommend to spay your pig. I didn't do mine and she is the biggest pain in the butt.
When I had my male pig, I had him neutered and he was just adorable and social.
Have you got any photos? I love pigs and love all the pics other members posted here...(and get jealous by reading all about their little well behaved adorable piggies! :lol: )
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:51 pm

If Jai sends me picts I'll post them. She is really cute. When I left on Saturday, they were still trying to figure out a name.
FrankyLee

Re: Ichy pig

Postby FrankyLee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Howdy, Ya'll! I need some help. My hubs and I just got two pigs for our farm and they both have these black, crawling mites on them. I don't want to give an ivermectin shot. Can an iodine spray be used to rid them of these pests? I love my piggies, they are smart and affectionate and getting bigger every day! To see them so itchy is sad. What do I do?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:24 pm

why dont you want to give them ivermectin shot? Its the same thing dogs get every month for heartworm. very safe. If its because you dont want to inject, you can give it orally too. Anything topically doesnt work well for pigs. Pig mites, you cant see with naked eye. Maybe they are lice?
dragon_lady

Postby dragon_lady » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:00 am

I was going to ask you Tiffany, if the same ivermectin they use for injections works orally. I believe Colleen my red mini has worms. She has eaten well all week and still feel her ribs. Cindy
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:47 am

Yes you can give the injectable orally. Its 2/10 of a cc per 10 pounds, but i always give more its real safe.
Ug I want to see pics of your baby so bad! Is she wild or is she friendly as piglets go?

I sold one of my handfed piglets to a young lady the weekend of the auction. She was taken back by the squealing he did when first picked up. I told her to get used to it. Those of us that are used to pig mannerisms, forget how bold, loud, and pushy they are compared to other animals :lol:
dragon_lady

Postby dragon_lady » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:35 am

She isn't even close to 10 lbs. My guess is 7ish. I was amazed at how friendly she is. sleeps tucked up on my arm at night, follows me around like a dog and right now is sleeping on my foot. She is jealous of the other animals though. Last night one of the furries came up to give kissed and snuggle at my head and she kept pushing her away with her nose, and getting higher till she was almost at my ear.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:00 pm

I would personally give the 2/10 if she is in between the 5 and 10 pound weight. If you have a 1 cc syring, then you can give the proper .15 though
When I only have a 3 cc syring I usually just give .2 ml
FrankyLee

Postby FrankyLee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:33 am

You are right! They have pig lice. I was told there was a powder I could use, but the local TSC is always out of it. I'll try the ivermectin orally. Although they are relatively clean, they do roam and play with the sheep and the goats, so giving an injection concerns me re: infection. I'm sure as they get bigger they will get scrapes and scratches from time to time, so I'll have to watch that, as well.

I'll try to post a picture! They are really cute!

FL

:piggy:

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”