PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

updated pics of sarah

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

updated pics of sarah

Postby dinnka » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Here is my little porker now, just took these pics today. She is still my baby girl, so loving and gentle. She is VERY vocal when she sees me , and has learned to push the thing on the bottom of my office chair to make the chair lower..lol.. if i dont pay attention to her while i am at my desk she will push the knob and lower the chair.. she is soooo smart !! she does have a outside area for during the day, she LOVES being outside.. she will run laps around her area when she first goeas out in the morning. she weighs 42 pounds now !!! but she is well fed ;) ( and a bit spoiled) she gets fed 2 times a day with a handfull of dog chow ( I know shouldnt feed her that will make her fat, but she loves it) 1 cup of mini pig feed and some treats ( marshmellows, cereal ect), she also gets her fruits and vegies ( fresh and chopped, im scared of her choking) once a day.. so i know I over feed her, but how can you say no to a face like hers ??? lol
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd18 ... rah002.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd18 ... rah003.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd18 ... rah004.jpg
15 fox, 1 bobcat, 1 kinkajou, 2 birds, 3 cats, 9 dogs, 1 ringtailed lemur, 1 pig, numerous chickens, 3 geckos
3 kids (all boys) 1 grandson
visit us on facebook @
https://www.facebook.com/wildadventuresfoxden
BB

Postby BB » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Oh my, that is totally obese! I know you looove her to bits and she is a beautiful little thing, but I really think you should cut back the food before she gets problems.
Maybe for little rewards or treats just use veggies and I'd cut dog food all together.
I'm sorry to put a spoiler on your photos, I was really looking forward seeing them, but when I opened them I was just thinking how those little legs going to support all that weight... :(
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:42 pm

realy ?? I know she is fat and over wt but i wouldnt call her obese.. her belly is nice and straight and doesnt round out at the bottom, she is VERY active and loves to run.. she does get more of the mini pig food than the other, the treats are just a few and the dog food is only a handfull, not een a heaping handful :(
15 fox, 1 bobcat, 1 kinkajou, 2 birds, 3 cats, 9 dogs, 1 ringtailed lemur, 1 pig, numerous chickens, 3 geckos
visit us on facebook @
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Wow, Im amazed at her growth. She is bigger then her mother and father already! I'll have to take pics of them tomarrow. I hope she isnt some kind of genetic throwback to bigger pigs in her past. Her brother is literally the size of a rabbit :lol: I dont know a whole lot about pig growth when fed alot, Im pretty sure they are supposed to taper of on size even when overfed, other then fat. Maybe they are like goldfish and just keep going and going! I feed the parents about 2 measured cups each of hog grower, and the baby I kept gets 1 cup, with grass often. I bet if I had one in the house it would be a monster too, I tend to spoil.

You did see her parents so you know I wasnt lying on how small they are at 3 years of age ;)
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:25 pm

OMG !!! the size of a rabbit seriously? I know over feeding will make them fat but not larger.. like a dog ( a rottweiler will not grow longer and taller than normal because of over feeding, just fatter ) If your little guy is the size of a rabbit and weighs 11 pounds then what is up with sarah? she is as tall as my beagle mix and as long ( just fatter) I dearly love her but now I am wondering why she got so tall and so long, and she is still a baby yet with MORE growing to do.. :!:
visit us on facebook @
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:47 pm

farm pigs will redicuously grow faster if free choice fed, including frame size, not just fat. So pigs are alot different then dogs in that regard, but wow, Mandy, it really is an absolute HUGE difference.
BB

Postby BB » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:29 am

I'm sorry - I felt bad the whole day about my comments.....It was just that I expected one thing and when I clicked on the photos... well let's say it was a shock. I guess no one wants to hear that their little darling is obese. I'm really sorry if I offended.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Here is the gang today. Her littermate you can see, quite a bit smaller. Lulu, the black and white I would consider overweight. She is a bully and steals the others food if they arent fast enough. Comet, sarahs mom, is what I would consider perfect weight for summer. She has the slighted chin, a small indent behind her ears, and good muscling. I do want to bulk her up a bit before the snow flies for warmth, and she will get a half cup more food a day, as well as the baby, so he will be up to a total of 1 1/2 cups a day. They get hay all day long. This is commercial hog grower I feed. Regular potbellies would be obese on this amount but "usually" the metabolism is better on these guys. I had one of the Dr's put a call into a large animal vet they are friends with. She was 100% sure it was diet related that sarah is so enormous right now. She compared it to allowing a gaint breed puppy to eat more calories then it should have, and they grow too fast for their frame. She seemed a bit conscerned, that her skelatan may have grown too fast with the large amount of calories she has gotten, but with weight loss and a slow down now, she should do fine. 2 cups mini pig food and hay is all she should get. If you add any treats, then the amount of mini pig food has to be reduced. The puppy food needs to go :( The hay will keep her full. a alfalfa grass mix is best.

Also I should mention, the baby regularly squeezes through to the side with the farm hogs, and helps himself to the food in the feeder. So it may very well be the extras alone that she gets that are the culprit.
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:51 pm

how do you know that the baby is realy getting 1 cup a day if you feed them all together? I realy didnt think I was feeding sarah too much, except for the few treats but that wasnt eve a lot.. I did not giver her any dog food with her mini pig food today and only gave her 1 cup this morning with carrots and 3 cherry tomatoes and the same for dinner..poor girl gobbled it right up and screamed for more :(
How old is she now? I was thinking 6 months? I cant believe how tiny the little boy is...sarah gets around very well and runs like a tiny little thing and takes the corners very fast when playing with the dogs..lol.. i assumed because she was sooo active and played sooo much that her wt was not a issue, I will try and cut her wt back a little but it is gonna be hard.. she has mom wrapped around her little finger
visit us on facebook @
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:41 pm

I only just put the little boy back in the pen with the adults rescently. I had him seperate untill I sold his brother. I figured it was a good time to put then back so they can all keep each other warm, dont want him alone. I feed them together but not in the pile like you see in the picture, thats was only for picture purposes. I would make 3 piles seperate from each other and they each SO fast that its all eaten by the right pig by the time Im done filling the water bowl. I dont even really mean for it to be that way it just works out like that. Their birthday is July 16, so he is right on track for a 3 month old. The piglets were attached to the other pigs pens and they would often squeeze through and visit. The farm pigs had a self feeder and the babies would help themselves. Im pretty sure they were getting ALOT more then they needed. The farm pigs went to freezer camp last week so thats why I am upping the babies feed now that "supplement" is no longer there.
Sarah is the size of a 2 month old farm pig :lol:
I dont know if the food in the bowl is what she typically was getting, but that is way more then a measured cup, and the cereal is really a ton of extra calories. Sounds like what she got today is perfect though!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Now Im so paranoid that Im not feeding enough! But.... everything says that 1 to 1 1/2 is the right amount. :monkey

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:37u ... clnk&gl=us
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:07 pm

mandy and lasergrl,

your pigs are adorable. what is the average weight suppose to be?
I would love to have a couple of them.

mandy,
the first two pictures your little piglett didn't look so little :lol:
the third picture was not as bad. but, I think he is overweight.

when I raised the full grown pigs. I made the mistake of feeding them too much. the male did live to be 10 years old. the female to 9 years old. but, the male was very very big. it got to the point where he just got so fat, that he couldn't get up. I left him go for awile and tried to coax him up, but, it was not going to happen.. hubby had to shoot him :cry:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:16 pm

I wouldn't have said that Sarah is overweight when I first saw the pictures. I think she looks exactly like our pigs did.

But after reading your comments and remembering that our oldest pig only lived to be 8 years, I start thinking that maybe we fed them too much?
I always thought this was normal for dwarf pigs to look like that. I actually thought that the little one in lasergrl's first picture looks almost alarmingly thin (no offence!).

I am completely confused, now. :mrgreen:

We fed them all kinds of vegetables and stuff, and some corn and seeds. And eggs. All kind of food, and as much as they wanted to eat, I guess. But they didn't get any dog food as far as I remember.
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:40 pm

Oh he isnt thin....he has a double chin :shock: . I probably should take another picture, I realize his bent leg looks like a hollow spot when its not. I had them at work and the vets thought they looked just right.

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”