PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Mosquitos and Pigs

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FilterLady

Mosquitos and Pigs

Postby FilterLady » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi ya'll:

How can I keep so many skeeters away from Gordy and his pen??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hubby will concrete his pen next week so it'll be easier to keep clean but I'm wondering what we can do to cut down on the skeeters. They really bother us when we are in his pen and I'm sure they bother him too.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I love my babies, 5 cats and a russian boar piglet!
BB

Re: Mosquitos and Pigs

Postby BB » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:12 am

Mhhh, interesting! I've seen Mosquitoes bite Sophia, but it doesn't seem to bother her. If they are bothering me I normally use spray, I'm wondering if you could use it on your pig as well? But maybe you can try to plant insect repelling bushes or ground covers around the pen.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:22 pm

He needs a mud wallow. That will keep them off if they bother him. If he has a cement pad make sure he gets to root in soil, its very good for them.
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:07 am

In addition to the mud wallow, our minature pigs had a doormat wrapped around a post and a brush to allow them to rub their back and sides.

Mosquito bites were never a problem with our pigs, but there were a lot of horseflies that used to bite them so much their backs were bleeding.
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:01 pm

they have collars ( they're not but I can't think what to call them) now for horses to repel flies and mosquitoes. I don't think it would be hard to retrofit them to a pig. Try the local feed store or TSC.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:42 pm

The fly tags are widely known to not work apart from one type of fly. They really are a waste of money. I found this out after I bought some. I now have a 3/4 full box of them and cows with flys and skeeters all over them. The best thing is ivermectin, it does keep the insects off of them but i never paid attention to how long it lasted.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:14 pm

I wasn't referring to fly tags. They have to be careful with them because they are for use on animals for consumption. I was thinking of the animal version of the wrist bands (off brand?) for people. Probably a stupid question, but would giving your pig garlic work?
Trefoil

You might try Vit B

Postby Trefoil » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:30 am

I just read somewhere ( Mother Earth forum?) that vit b mixed in with their and your food repels mosquitoes. I haven't tried it yet, but am going to.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 pm

Get SkeeterVac by Blue Rhino. Just heard about that and another one MosquitoMagnet(but said to be not as good) today and sounds like they work great. Kind of expensive though.

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”