PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Gordy - my P-I-G

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FilterLady

Gordy - my P-I-G

Postby FilterLady » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi Everyone:

What do I need to do to be sure that my Gordy stays warm this winter? He's now about 10 months old and weighs about 175 pounds.

He has a house that is 3 sided and plenty of hay but I want to be sure he's warm enough this winter. How can I be sure??

Thanks for any info!
I love my babies, 5 cats and a russian boar piglet!
Lasergrl

Re: Gordy - my P-I-G

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:21 pm

All pigs need is staw or hay and a three sided shelter. make sure he has ALOT of the hay. he will probably eat it often so you will have to put more in often. Pigs are incredibly hardy. If you want to a buddy to keep him warm would be a bonus but not needed. Last night it was 30 degrees. My 10 pound piglet was just fine nestled in her house with straw.
BB

Postby BB » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:41 pm

I agree with Lasergrl, as long as he has plenty of hay to "insulate" him from the cold he'll be fine.
I made this cover once for my lettuce, it is just a mesh made out of rio(?) bar (the stuff you lay down before you pour a cement slab) about three meters long, I bent it like a U shape and covered it with shade cloth.
My pig Sophia loves to get underneath it to have a little shade or get away from the march flies.
I guess if you are worried you could make something similar and cover it with old blankets and more straw, so he got a shelter within his shelter.
FilterLady

Postby FilterLady » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. He has plenty of hay but I just wanted to be sure that it was enough. He's like a big baby......he thinks he's one of our outside cats. They really like him and he likes them.

Our grandchildren love to feed him his favorite snack...raw peanuts. He's spoiled rotten and doesn't care who knows it!

I never realized that he would be so much fun to have as a pet!
I love my babies, 5 cats and a russian boar piglet!
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:34 am

we have sarah in the barn (doors open during day so she can go outside but closed at night..in her stall we put a xlg dog igloo and in that we have one of those red pig blankets (heated durable plastic pad)they are made for pigs so very durable and thick.. she also has a bunch of straw in it.. found the barn cat curled up in there with her this morning, lol,,
last winter we did not have her in the barn but she was in a large dog kennel (15ft by 20 ft) there we had her igloo with the pig blanket in it, but along the outside of the igloo we stacked 2bales high on all 3 sides and then put a few baleson top of the house a and made her a little walk way with a few bales too to keep a snow free area for her so she couls eat..all in all we used like 18 bales of straw stacked in rows to insulte the igloo that was already heated with the electric pig pad..lol.. little overboard i know..lol..much easier this winter just putting the igloo and heated pad inside the barn
15 fox, 1 bobcat, 1 kinkajou, 2 birds, 3 cats, 9 dogs, 1 ringtailed lemur, 1 pig, numerous chickens, 3 geckos
3 kids (all boys) 1 grandson
visit us on facebook @
https://www.facebook.com/wildadventuresfoxden

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”