PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pigs and smells

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Elecia

Pigs and smells

Postby Elecia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:17 am

:piggy:

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if they know of a particular smell that pigs "don't" like? I would like to try and keep our 2yr old OZMini pig out of part of my garden. I tried "dog off" which has a strong citronella smell and she ate those. Maybe I'm just kidding myself??
We love her but she is so pigheaded!!! We now know where all the terms come from. I am thinking maybe pepper? She knows damn well she is not supposed to be in there.
Lasergrl

Re: Pigs and smells

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:13 pm

the only thing that keeps pigs out is electric wire. You can easily do this and it wont even look bad. It really is the only way other then a very big fence, and often they can root under.

BTW those australian mini pigs are lovely. I wish we had them here.
BB

Postby BB » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:11 am

Yep, fence it! Or spend a long time training, pigs are smart, if a dog can do it a pig can, but getting through their hard head is another matter.... :roll:
Elecia

Postby Elecia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 am

Thanks for the info, Ozmini pigs come desexed, micro-chipped, vaccinated and with a nose ring.
She outgrew the nose ring which was apparently a nose staple I found out, so we looked into getting her another one.....what a nightmare.
I got her the smallest one from the stock place and booked her into the vet only to be told when picking her up that the gauge was too thick and she screamed the clinic down as they only gave her a local and when she finally gave in they put fencing wire in her nose. I was horrified to say the least. She eventually got the wire out and then went back to digging craters. I did some more research and eventually found a pig vet who managed to get me pliers and nose rings from the UK for her but prior to them arriving I went to the jewellers and had a surgical steel one made booked her into the vet gave them all the necessary info about aesthetics for pigs and hoped this would finally be the end of it but last week we heard an almighty squeal and yet again she had got it out, it cost us $650!!!!! my husband had steam coming out his ears, I don't know how she did it because her nose wasn't torn. The nose ring really does work it allows her to fossick but stops her from digging so to speak.
If we lived on a property it wouldn't be a problem but we live in a suburb and in company housing. I don't know how people have them in townhouses etc as we were told when we purchased her. She really is a beautiful pig. If I knew how to put a picture of her on the site I would ???
Live..Laugh..Love..
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:22 am

Wow wonder why it is so hard to find proper nose rings there! I can go to my stock store and have 3 sizes to choose from and the proper pliers. My boar came with 2 rings on the sides of his nose but I dont have to ring my sows, they really dont root to much, more of grazers. I also think that for the type of rings we have here, the local is worse then just popping it in. The local stings and it is a poke non the less, better to just poke with the ring and be done. They are not permanant at all, so yeah, you would have to redo it on occation.
Elecia

Postby Elecia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Don't know why it is so hard here mind you everyone we have meet when walking her have no idea about mini pigs. I don't think they are very well know in Australia. I even emailed other breeders to find out what they used and they said they had had no luck finding something for their more mature mini pigs. We had no luck with the breeder we brought her from she sent me a belly button ring the size of a 5 cent piece?? I couldn't seem to explain that the ring she had as a piglet had gotten so tight it was indenting her nose and she needed something larger? Obviously you guys are way more ahead of us when it comes to pigs as pets! Have tried to add pic so hopefully it works? If so this is my 9yr old having a cuddle with oinkie icon-smile .
Live..Laugh..Love..
Elecia

Postby Elecia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:55 am

Pic's of our girl.......ya I worked out how to do it !!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live..Laugh..Love..
BB

Postby BB » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:29 am

She is absolutely adorable!!! Very jealous....mind trading a hard headed, grumpy red pig for her??? :mrgreen:
Elecia

Postby Elecia » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:55 am

She's very lucky she is so cute because she gets away with murder!!!!! :piggy:
My husband and I attempted to put her new nose ring in that I got from the UK looks like its copper or something much better size and has had the desired effect but oh my!!!!!!!! is she strong, she eventually gave in after we were all totally exhausted and Im sure it was just all about her giving in because she didn't seem to really care about the ring going in. I sooooo could not be a farmer other than a dairy farmer. I hate having to do things like that, fortunately I had just come home from work and had to clean up her distruction again so I was in the right frame of mind "monkshock: . I hope we don't have to do it again. The ring is much smaller so shouldn't be able to get it caught as easily? She lives with our 11 yr old german shepherd so its not like she doesn't have great company...lol....
Live..Laugh..Love..
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Hello Elecia and Lasergrl,

What type of pig is the Oz Mini pig? Like what breeds make up the OZ mini pig? How small is the OZ mini pig really?

As some of you know I loved my potbellied pig. I still miss him very much. I just love pigs in general :piggy: .

Lastly what is the smallest breed of pig we can get in the USA? Small meaning height and weight wise.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 pm

The smallest you can get in USA is the potbelly pig. There are tons of different strains, micro pig, juliani ect but they are just different types of potbelly. My pigs are pretty small but not the smallest (in fact the one Mandy got from me got to be the size of a hippo!) For instance I have one that is 80 pounds and 4 years old, one that is like 60 poundsish at 3, one that is 15 pounds at 1 year. They keep growing a little as long as they live. I have brought in a couple males that were alot smaller to bring down size. Any pig I have had here that was less then 30 pounds as adult has died the first time they had the chance. I do not see them dying from "smashed organs" like rescues will have you think, but rather it seems they have crap immune systems, they arent hardy. So for me it seems unless the pig was to be indoor only and very well vaccinated and fed very scientifically I would not waste the money on the "micro pigs" untill they have stronger bloodlines.
Elecia

Postby Elecia » Sat May 07, 2011 3:59 am

Hi Cat Person icon-smile ,
This is the link to the website that we purchased her from http://www.ozminipigs.com it will give you all the info about oz miniatures.
The picture of her and my daughter was taken about a month ago, Oinkie will be 2yrs old on 19th of May and we are told that this is the size she will stay at. She is very long and weights about 40 to 50 kg.
She is a couple of inches shorter than our German Shepherd.
Live..Laugh..Love..
Elecia

Postby Elecia » Sat May 07, 2011 4:28 am

Some more pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live..Laugh..Love..
Trefoil

she's precious

Postby Trefoil » Thu May 19, 2011 10:12 pm

Glad you got your ring problem solved.

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”