PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

pregnancy

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

debbie131

pregnancy

Postby debbie131 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:47 pm

we have a 2 year hamshire gilt we have tryed breeding her so many times she does not get pregnant we have her sister she is on her 2nd pregnancy she is very friendly can any body tell me why some say thats how some are just cant get pregnant please help debbie
Lasergrl

Re: pregnancy

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:10 pm

There are many reasons why the gilt may not breed. Often it may be a cyst in the ovaries. There are diseases that can cause non breeding such as Lepto, toxoplasmosis, and reproductive viruses. Some of the diseases will run their course, others wont. It really depends on if you are attached to this pig or not. At 2 Id be inclined to give her a couple more tries, but if then nothing, I would replace her. If she has been A.I. only I would try bringing in a live boar. If still nothing you can try an injection of lutalyse to see if she would expell a cyst. You can also try using an antibiotic course in case its lepto.

I have a 4 year old sow that had a litter at 1 year of age, then nothing since. I gave her a lute shot a couple days ago and am giving her till the end of this summer. I really like her so hope it works.
Lasergrl

Re: pregnancy

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 pm

also should note that it isnt uncommon for a pig to be butchered only to find they have a dead end reproductive tract.

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”