PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pigs vs. Dogs

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

User avatar
Whatsername
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Pigs vs. Dogs

Postby Whatsername » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:03 pm

So I guess I'm just wondering how pigs and dogs compare. I've often heard them compared for their intelligence, but how about in other ways. Such as...

Are pigs as destructive as dogs? (chewing on things, scratching things up with their claws, you know, doggie things)
Do pigs have any sort of odor?
Do pigs shed or get dirty easily?
How are they with children?
What about friendliness. Are they social and loving like dogs?
How agile are they? Can they jump up on couches and such like dogs?
I know they can be litter trained but can they also be house trained to only go outside?
Do they go on walks and do they like to?
Do they need toys and if so what kind- chew toys, squeaky toys, etc?

Any other information and comparisons... I'm more curious than anything. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to have a pig around the house.
User avatar
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10336
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Pigs vs. Dogs

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Pigs root, dig with their nose and tusks(if they have them).

Pigs have nasty smelling pee and poop but don't really have body odor.

Pigs have very little hair so you can just hose them off.

We had pigs in the petting zoo, they can be moody occasionally but that was the females due to hormones. They were all about the food, enjoyed a good belly scratch but otherwise didn't care about people at all. That's not raised to be a pet though. I think they can be a lot nicer if bottle raised. They said they had to bottle raise on once and he was the sweetest but someone stole him.

You can harness strain them but it's a lot of work. They don't take to it easily.
User avatar
Lasergrl
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1773
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: northeast, Ohio

Re: Pigs vs. Dogs

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Very destructive. Most end up as outside pigs. If there is a piece if food uner the refridgerator, a pig can move the refridgerator to get to it. They could easy open the fridge too. The can root up carpet if they descide to. Some are fine and never do these things. Its like with foxes. they are happier with alot of outdoor time. I dont find the poop or pee much worse then a dogs. Intact males smell like human body odor but worse, very very strong. the smell is the urine and the crud around the man bits. neutered males are the best for pets. Its so easy for them to get obese. You must be very very strict with food. If you are the type to spoil your pets, dont get a pig. If I have to compare the personality of a pig to a dog, they are alot like bulldogs.
Bottlefed pigs can have the problem of thinking you are a never ending food supply and can get pushy about food. Again if you are good with discipline you will be ok.
Bottom line if you are a softy and a spoiler, dont get a pig you wont be happy and the pig wont be healthy. If you are used to bully breed dogs or large livestock you will be more prepared for the pushy personalities.
cat person
Banned
Banned
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Pigs vs. Dogs

Postby cat person » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:46 pm

Lasergrl wrote:Very destructive. Most end up as outside pigs. If there is a piece if food uner the refridgerator, a pig can move the refridgerator to get to it. They could easy open the fridge too. The can root up carpet if they descide to. Some are fine and never do these things. Its like with foxes. they are happier with alot of outdoor time. I dont find the poop or pee much worse then a dogs. Intact males smell like human body odor but worse, very very strong. the smell is the urine and the crud around the man bits. neutered males are the best for pets. Its so easy for them to get obese. You must be very very strict with food. If you are the type to spoil your pets, dont get a pig. If I have to compare the personality of a pig to a dog, they are alot like bulldogs.
Bottlefed pigs can have the problem of thinking you are a never ending food supply and can get pushy about food. Again if you are good with discipline you will be ok.
Bottom line if you are a softy and a spoiler, dont get a pig you wont be happy and the pig wont be healthy. If you are used to bully breed dogs or large livestock you will be more prepared for the pushy personalities.


Very well said.

I think my potbelly must have been very well behaved. Or maybe cause I am a "stern" leader and he knew his place? But my potbellied pig was the best pet I ever owned. He was just so calm and sweet and loving. He never broke anything or uprooted my carpet. He was just a dream pet. I still miss him to this day and that is NOT like me.



Image
User avatar
BB
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:09 am
Location: Darwin,Australia

Re: Pigs vs. Dogs

Postby BB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:15 am

My pig Sophia is very hard headed. Pigs are clever, no doubt about it, but I think you have to spend more time to work with them than a dog.
Otherwise they train you!
I think the main problem is that lots of people, who keep pigs put them in a pen (because they are just pigs) and only interact with them mainly at feeding time. (well ok, maybe cat person is the odd one out here... icon-smile )

With Sophia, I'm convinced she is bi-polar. Something has gone wrong in her brain, but she is still much loved regardless.
She does some weird things, annoying things, but part of it is because I'm not spending enough time with her (believe me, I'm spending more time with her than anyone who has pigs in my area, but to get her brain really working I don't spend enough) and that's part of her hard head-ness.
And food is #1 on her list - anytime.
She has other animals to talk to but if I ever get another pig again I will get two as they are very social. The problem with Sophia now is if I get another small pig or piglet I'm sure she'll kill it, that's why she only shares her 2.5 aces with Bob, the emu. (which by the way is a love-hate relationship... :roll: )

To sum it all up, most pigs are not like Catpersons', (and I'm very jealous of that :monk-dev: ) They can be very destructive, food orientated and need a lot of time to be fully understood; in a lot of ways a dog is soo much easier.
But a pig definitely can do as much as a dog can do - if not more when trained properly.
User avatar
BB
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:09 am
Location: Darwin,Australia

Re: Pigs vs. Dogs

Postby BB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:24 am

Sophia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cat person
Banned
Banned
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Pigs vs. Dogs

Postby cat person » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:49 am

BB wrote:My pig Sophia is very hard headed. Pigs are clever, no doubt about it, but I think you have to spend more time to work with them than a dog.
Otherwise they train you!
I think the main problem is that lots of people, who keep pigs put them in a pen (because they are just pigs) and only interact with them mainly at feeding time. (well ok, maybe cat person is the odd one out here... icon-smile )


Number one I am strange. So why would me having a house pig surprise you :monk-dev: . But really you hit the nail on the head. People need to think of a pig as more then an animal to keep and feed in the pen.

BB wrote:With Sophia, I'm convinced she is bi-polar. Something has gone wrong in her brain, but she is still much loved regardless.
She does some weird things, annoying things, but part of it is because I'm not spending enough time with her (believe me, I'm spending more time with her than anyone who has pigs in my area, but to get her brain really working I don't spend enough) and that's part of her hard head-ness.
And food is #1 on her list - anytime.
She has other animals to talk to but if I ever get another pig again I will get two as they are very social. The problem with Sophia now is if I get another small pig or piglet I'm sure she'll kill it, that's why she only shares her 2.5 aces with Bob, the emu. (which by the way is a love-hate relationship... :roll: )


Is your pig spayed? If not that coud explain why she seems "bipolar". What seems like "bipolar" might actually be the heat/breeding cycle.

With all pigs food is number one. The way I view it is like this: you can either work with there food motivation and use it to your advantage. Or you can let it control both you and your pig. I hope that made sense. If not I would be glad to rephrase.

BB wrote:To sum it all up, most pigs are not like Catpersons', (and I'm very jealous of that :monk-dev: ) They can be very destructive, food orientated and need a lot of time to be fully understood; in a lot of ways a dog is soo much easier.
But a pig definitely can do as much as a dog can do - if not more when trained properly.


I agree all pigs are most likely not like the pig I had. But to have him as a house pet took a lot of training. It also required I allowed him to use his natural instincts in my home in a way I found except able.

I will also say a pig is a much easier animal to work then a dog :mrgreen: , if you know how to do so.

Please post more picture's of Sophia please :)!

Image
User avatar
Whatsername
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Pigs vs. Dogs

Postby Whatsername » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Sophia is beautiful! I love her santa hat. ^^

Wow this is all great information. It totally changes my perspective on pigs... To be honest they interest me more now. xD Before they seemed like the kind of pet that just hung out but now I can tell they take time and commitment. I thought they were like a dog only without all the energy... Kind of like an intelligent, mindless dog, if that makes sense. But they seem to be their own little challenge. ^^ The only question I am still wondering about is if they can jump up on furniture...
cat person
Banned
Banned
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Pigs vs. Dogs

Postby cat person » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Whatsername wrote:Sophia is beautiful! I love her santa hat. ^^

Wow this is all great information. It totally changes my perspective on pigs... To be honest they interest me more now. xD Before they seemed like the kind of pet that just hung out but now I can tell they take time and commitment. I thought they were like a dog only without all the energy... Kind of like an intelligent, mindless dog, if that makes sense. But they seem to be their own little challenge. ^^ The only question I am still wondering about is if they can jump up on furniture...


First of all let me say a pig without a LOT of training is a major challenge. It is way more then most people can handle in a home. If your going to have a house pig like I did, I would recommend you read serveral books on pig care and training. I can post the titles and authors if you wish.

Pigs in my humble opinion seem to learn much faster then dogs if given the right stimulus (FOOD :lol: )! But if you do not set up rules, boundaries, and limitations that intelligence goes against you the owner. Which is NOT like a dog.

As far as being able to jump on the furniture NO. But a big pig could very easily knock over furniture and then lay on it icon_biggin.gif . So I would recommend careful research on the size of the pigs parents. So you do not end up with a huge pig. For my house pig I had ramps so he could easly go up and down my sofa. He also had a huge stuffed dog bed in each room :roll: . Yes, I made sure he could be comfy in all places :lol: .

I still miss my pig :(.


Image

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest