PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

How are Wild Boars as farm animals or pets?

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Wolf67

How are Wild Boars as farm animals or pets?

Postby Wolf67 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:04 pm

I haven't heard much about people keeping Wild Boars are they pretty hard to handle?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How are Wild Boars as farm animals or pets?

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Don't take my word for it, but for pets I assume they would not be good pets (depends on your definition though, I suppose). Normal pigs need an above-average owner if they are to be kept indoors since they can be destructive.

I wouldn't trust a pig around children unless it was a miniature, smallish 20 pounder. But that's just an opinion based on what I've read.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:42 pm

They are ok. They are usually one person animals and are plain aggressive with other people. A domestic pig can kill someone and a wild one is even more inclined. They will bond to the family though.
FilterLady

Postby FilterLady » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:55 pm

I have raised a wild boar (Gordy) since he was a baby and he's now about 325 pounds! He's nothing but a big baby....he thinks he's one of our outside cats. He doesn't like strangers but loves our grandchildren. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't let them go into his pen by themselves since he is so big. He loves me and comes running when he hears my voice.

He has a large pen with a deck even! He's just so spoiled. He loves chocolate and any kind of fruit! He loves me to rub under his belly. He stretches out until he almost falls over. And sometimes he does lay down for me to rub his belly even better.

We had him castrated when he was small so he doesn't have the tusks that wild boars usually have. And when he hears something, the hair on his back stands at attention and it sounds like he's barking!

He's been so much fun to raise and seems to be very happy. He had the colic and the vet had to come out to examine him but other than that, he's very healthy and clean too.

My advice would be to be very careful if you decide to get one and raise it. Gordy could really hurt anyone while trying to play. I never thought I'd have a pig but he was just too cute to resist when my friend was trying to find him a home! I'm a sucker for those pleading eyes, rofl!
I love my babies, 5 cats and a russian boar piglet!

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”