PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

4 pound pigs?

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

4 pound pigs?

Postby caninesrock » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Dina

DOB: 1/24/2011
Color: Black
Height: 3” Tall and 4” long
Weight: 4 pounds

We do not have plans for breeding Dina at this time, she is too small.
At 12 months old she weighs only 6 pounds.

She was born here from Missy and Bevo.

http://www.jandaexotics.com/Mini_Pig_Adults.html

That's crazy! :shock: I've never heard of a pig that small before. Still though, if they can be that small and still be healthy, I think it would be neat to have one that size because it's kind of like having it stay a piglet for its whole life since she looks like a piglet:

Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Lasergrl

Re: 4 pound pigs?

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 pm

They are kept small from food withholding.
It is not nescassarily unhealthy as long as they get anough to maintain a good body condition. Pigs are not like other animals. If conditions are good they grow very very big, if conditions are poor they will grow to be small. This is part dna and part environment. This is why ossabow island pigs are so small.
The same pig who would be 40 pounds as a 3 year old on 2 cups a day could grow to be 100 pounds with 6 cups a day.
That pig is bigger then 4 pounds is my guess. It looks like a 10-12 pound pig.
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Thu May 10, 2012 10:48 pm

So does that mean...if they sell it to some one and that someone does keep it on that diet will it grow bigger?
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri May 11, 2012 10:59 am

Yes most likely. The pig being a year old is not even close to done growing. Pigs can grow for 3 years. My pigs are fed a structured amount as suggested by potbelly pig society and they are 15 pounds as yearlings. As two year olds they are about 35 pounds and by three they top out around 50. A 50 pound 3 year old is about as small as they have been bred to at this pound. And yes if they are spoiled these same pigs can be over 100 pounds but alot of that will be fat. Being a vet tech I know how important a 3/5 body condition score is so I keep them lean except in winter.
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Mon May 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Ah I see.thanks
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 am

Wait, that's crazy. How is it not unhealthy to starve your pig so it's stays small?!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Pigs have adaptable metabolisms. They will adapt to conditions. I don't starve my pigs. I feed the recommended amount as suggested by the potbelly pig society. 2 cups a day up to 4 cups a day depending on age and weather. Other people may feed less to keep them small I find this deceptive to buyers. They may live but won't thrive. It is actually better then overfeeding. Having an overweight pig is a definate early death.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Okay, I see where you're coming from.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:52 pm

I was talking about mini pigs to my sister, and I would like more information. Lasergrl, would you disagree that there are a lot of mini pig scammers out there, or can you change any pot bellied pig's growth by careful food withdrawal? If this is true (not saying that I don't believe you because I do- lol) wouldn't that mean that any pot-bellied pig could be a mini pig? And it isn't just a different strain/breed/type of pig altogether?

ImageImage
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Its a little of both actually. Its sort of like how large breed dogs need a special diet or they will grow too fast.
Large farm pigs are fed differently depending on wether they will be feeders or breeders. Feeders are free choice fed so they grow as fast as possible in 6 months. Breeders are fed a certain amount so they don't grow that way as its healthier in the long run.
Mini pigs are genetically smaller. A free fed potbelly will not be over 200 pounds but alot of that would be obesity Which is terrible for them. A farm pig can reach 700 pounds or more at maturity so you see even the biggest potbelly is still miniature.
Pigs are getting genetically smaller by selective breeding. A pig that is fed properly (not starved or overfed) can be healthy and weight about 60 pounds by 3-4 years. That same pig if free fed could be alot bigger and fatter by that age. You will have alot of joint problems from that too. So with pigs it is nature and nurture.
And yes even a farm pig can be stunted into miniature size but they don't live long at all when this happens. I've seen it with neglected pigs.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:14 pm

So for a mini pig, it would have to have small genes, and you can't free-feed them? How do I know a breeder's pigs are actually from "miniature" lines? I'm asking this because I am aware pigs don't reach full weight until they are around 3 years old, and some bad breeders breed their pigs earlier than that to try and dupe customers. :0

ImageImage
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:54 pm

Try and find someone with older breeders. It is very hard to find good stock. I have had alot of piglets that didn't make the cut. They were growing too big at 6 months old ect.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:37 pm

I found Tanglewood Farm. http://www.tanglewoodfarmminiatures.com/minis/pigs.html

They seem promising.

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:30 pm

So,they're normal pigs,but starved? :/
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:06 am

It seems most are, but the ones at Tanglewood Farm seem to have actual small pigs.

ImageImage

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”