PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

4 pound pigs?

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lasergrl

Re: 4 pound pigs?

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:55 am

Tanglewood pigs don't look any better then anyone else's. Any pig no matter what will be big if given all you can eat food. Its not that the pigs are starved, its that they aren't allowed to gorge. Pigs do not have an off button when it comes to food. There is a big difference from starving to rationing. Think of it like a large breed puppy. You have to ration the food and be careful how much nutrition they get or they will have problems. Its exactly the same with pigs. The fat pigs are way worse then a rationed pig.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:52 am

Ok,but isn't having a pig that's only 4 pounds rationing it a little too much?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 pm

Well, never did say 4 pounds was a normal size. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you were replying to. The fact is that pigs are misrepresented as much as wolf dogs. A small mini pig can be 4 pounds by the time they are 4 weeks. People see a tiny pig and just guess the weight. For example a pig that is the size of a beagle is a tiny pig but in reality probably weighs 40 pounds.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:23 pm

So rationing their food can stunt their growth, as in height as well? Wouldn't genes play a part in that?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:35 pm

It's not stunted growth. Stunted is unhealthy. LG is saying pigs are programed to grow bigger when fed more. You are not keeping them from reaching their normal size because their normal healthy size is determined in part by how much food they get and letting them get to big can actually be unhealthy. You can see that in part in older posts Dinka got a pig from LG and fed it more than suggested and it grew bigger than any of LG's pigs.

Lasergrl wrote:They are kept small from food withholding.
It is not nescassarily unhealthy as long as they get anough to maintain a good body condition. Pigs are not like other animals. If conditions are good they grow very very big, if conditions are poor they will grow to be small. This is part dna and part environment. This is why ossabow island pigs are so small.
The same pig who would be 40 pounds as a 3 year old on 2 cups a day could grow to be 100 pounds with 6 cups a day.
That pig is bigger then 4 pounds is my guess. It looks like a 10-12 pound pig.

The pig being a year old is not even close to done growing. Pigs can grow for 3 years. My pigs are fed a structured amount as suggested by potbelly pig society and they are 15 pounds as yearlings. As two year olds they are about 35 pounds and by three they top out around 50. A 50 pound 3 year old is about as small as they have been bred to at this pound. And yes if they are spoiled these same pigs can be over 100 pounds but alot of that will be fat. Being a vet tech I know how important a 3/5 body condition score is so I keep them lean except in winter.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Oh...So in reality any pot-bellied pig can be small if you ration their diet? So that would mean people who advertise small pigs are in a way trying to get big bucks off of just normal pot-bellies?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:42 pm

@Lasergirl: Still,you said the pig might be 10-12 pounds. Isn't that kind of small for a pig to be a healthy weight? Even most dogs don't way that little.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:53 pm

She also explained they keep growing for several years. That 10-12 pound pig is not full grown.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks Mary. Sometimes I have a hard time explaining things. Also when an animal is different in its growth and needs people can have a hard time understanding.
Different lines will be different body styles also. A mini pig can be the same size height and length as a potbelly. The potbelly will weight twice as much but appear the same size. I don't really care how old the pig is or how much it weighs, if it has a 3/5 body score it is getting enough food. So if that 1 year old pig is truly 10 pounds, as long as it has a good body condition score I personally would not be too worries it isn't getting enough. We have a problem in this country with overweight pets and pigs are no exception. A lean pig is a healthy pig.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:24 pm

I wasn't saying I wanted it to be over-fed. I think lean animals are fine,but I was worried that at that small of a wieght that it was starved,not lean. I think of pigs being about the size of a large breed dog height-wise. If someone had a 10 pound labrador, I would be worried for the dog's health,so I thought the same of a pig. I didn't realize pigs could adjust to how ever much food they get to eat in order to survive as I'm used to thinking in terms of other animals that can't really do that and still be healthy like dogs for example where that would be considered under-feeding/starving to have a large breed dog that was fed that little to only be 10 pounds and the dog would get sick.

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Btw I have seen true stunting. This is usually when a farm pig is rejected by its m other. They are then handraised and just don't get the same caloric intake as suckling piglets. I bought one from Mt hope thinking I could nurse it back to health. She was a old spot, usually gets to 400 pounds. I never could get her over 30 pounds and skinny. She died as soon as winter rolled around, from pneumonia. It was too late. She was truly stunted when I got her.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:50 pm

caninesrock wrote:I wasn't saying I wanted it to be over-fed. I think lean animals are fine,but I was worried that at that small of a wieght that it was starved,not lean. I think of pigs being about the size of a large breed dog height-wise. If someone had a 10 pound labrador, I would be worried for the dog's health,so I thought the same of a pig. I didn't realize pigs could adjust to how ever much food they get to eat in order to survive as I'm used to thinking in terms of other animals that can't really do that and still be healthy like dogs for example where that would be considered under-feeding/starving to have a large breed dog that was fed that little to only be 10 pounds and the dog would get sick.

Well a 2 month old great dane is only 15-30 pounds. The pigs grow slower than great danes though.

But a healthy 10 pound at one year pig probably not.

Birth – 2-3” tall – 6-8 oz
1 year old – 12” tall, 60-70 lbs
2 years old – 14” tall, 80-90 lbs
3 years old – 16” tall, 100-125 lbs

So a 1 year old pig can about double it's weight once full grown for a 10 pound pig that would be to 20 pounds full grown and no one has accomplished that yet. But some have gotten mini pigs at 50-80 pounds full grown so a one year could be 25-40 pounds. The 10 pound pig was likely much younger than advertised. But the point was you can keep them small by controlling food intake, to a point and not have it be unhealthy. So if it doesn't look starved even if was 10 pounds it's not from being starved or stunted.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:24 pm

So does this apply to ALL "normal" pot bellied pigs? Like I could just go get a pot-bellied pig from a farmer (not advertised as "mini" or anything) and ration it's food and bam, I would get myself a miniature pig?

ImageImage
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:05 pm

No, because its genetic and environment. You have to be working with small genetics as well as feeding them PROPERLY. Although, there are plenty of small pigs that arent an arm and a leg. Just ask to see the breeders, ask how old they are. Make sure they have a good fat layer but not excess fat. If you want a true small pig, buy from breeders that are at least 2 years old but prefferably over 3. MOST tiny pigs for sale, when said they are from 30 pound parents, those parents are a year old.
You can, in theory, get any pig to stay small, but like mentioned, true stunting is a gamble. SOME do live normal lives but most are prone to illness, will never reproduce ect.
Another thing, stunted pigs have trouble maintaining a pregnancy. If you find a small pig of good body condition, that is over 3 years old, and has a good sized litter, you probably found yourself a good baby to buy. Just make sure that you feed it an appropriet balance diet in structured amounts. If they are hungry even after the measured feed, grass and hay can be fed in almost unlimited quantities as long as they are grass and not clovers or legumes.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Ohh okay I get it now.

ImageImage

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”