PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Help! My new 8 week old mini pig won't eat.

Warthogs, razorbacks, Potbellies, Bearded pigs, Any breed or species of Pigs, hogs, boars

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

hollyjillcox

Help! My new 8 week old mini pig won't eat.

Postby hollyjillcox » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi...we brought Elly May home almost 2 weeks ago and she has eaten very little since. The only thing we can get her to eat is honey wheat bread (she actually eats quite a bit of that). When we first brought her home we understood that she would need a period of time to adjust but I'm now worried that she isn't eating enough. The breeder told me to feed her dry oatmeal and/or "all feed" grain. I have seen a picture of her with her siblings seemingly eating this grain before we brought her home. Here is what we have tried (she has eaten a TINY bit of some of these but nothing substantial)...milk, goats milk, baby rice cereal, 9% all feed grain, oatmeal (dry and cooked), shredded wheat, dry Lucky Charms type cereal, applesauce, apple, cantaloupe, tomato and I recently found her eating our dog's food...which she liked but I know it is not good for her so I put it out of her reach. As you can see, we started trying everything just hoping she would eat something. A few days after we brought her home the breeder suggested bread and that is the only thing she will eat now. She eats probably 2 slices a day. I have tried force feeding her with a spoon and dunking her nose in milk etc. She is drinking water, peeing and pooping. She has had a few bouts of diarrhea but they were short lived. The breeder told me that she was wormed after birth and again the day we brought her home on 8/19/12 with Dectomax injection. I thought maybe she liked the softness of the bread until I found her eating the hard dog food today. I know she CAN eat and now I know she can and will eat soft and hard foods. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Holly
Splashstorm

Re: Help! My new 8 week old mini pig won't eat.

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:33 pm

I think you should contact your vet in this situation. She'll get to see your pig and make better suggestions as to what you should do than us... :/ Hope things work out!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:41 pm

You don't list having tried pig food. She really should just be given proper amounts of pig food.

Assuming she's a pot belly or mini pig then it should be pot belly pig food but even normal pig food would be better than grain. That doesn't sound like the breeder was feeding them well.

http://www.pigs4ever.com/PotBelliedPigI ... igdiet.htm
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:21 am

A pig with little appetite makes me think she is sick. First thing I would do is take her temperature. She may be fighting off something called shipping fever. Basically the stress of moving makes them sick.

All grain is not good. There are no added minerals and vitamins. Pigs need lysine and there isn't enough in all grain. I feed my mini pigs an 18% pig feed. If she isn't losing weight I would wait her out. She may be spoiled at this point. Offer pig food and if she eats nothing for 24 hours then try something else. It very unusual for a pig to not have an enormous appetite though.

Return to “PIGS - Domestic and wild”