PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Koio my Ryukin

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

EffulgentlyFlorid

Koio my Ryukin

Postby EffulgentlyFlorid » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 pm

This is my two inch Ryukin(? that's what the store said, but he seems pretty fat for a Ryukin), Koio. I have had him for about four months now. He lives in a ten gallon tank with two red platys, a little white mini catfish, and a snail. He does well with the two other platys (Freckles and Peach) and along with my white catfish Sir. Albino and Ferdinand the Snail.

I had him in a one gallon tank for the first two days that I owned him (HUGE mistake!) and he nearly died due to the PH level in the tank. I had to clean it every day or it would get so dirty I couldn't even SEE him. I knew I had to have him in a 10 gal., but for some reason I thought it would be alright to have him in a one gal. for a while. Yeah, no. :I

He developed swim bladder disease and I fed him peas to clear his system. I had a bubbler going, but it wasn't enough for him. So I went out and I bought a new tank for him with a new filter, a new (and quieter) air pump and better decor. I saw immediate improvement in his health as soon as the first hour went by that he was in my tank.

So, lesson learned.

Here's some pictures!

Juska

Re: Koio my Ryukin

Postby Juska » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:46 pm

It's generally not a good idea to house goldfish and tropicals together. I would suggest getting a separate tank for him as soon as you can. Tropical fish need warm water, and if a goldfish is in that same temperature, they will eat a ton more and will produce a whole lot more waste, which can harm your other fish. They can also become dull and sluggish. Goldies should be in water around 65 degrees (or less) whereas tropicals like Platys need around 75-80.

He is definitely a Ryukin, they're supposed to be bulbous around their bellies :-) I have one too, he's a red and white (all white with a red spot on his head).
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
EffulgentlyFlorid

Re: Koio my Ryukin

Postby EffulgentlyFlorid » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Ah, I see! Thank you for telling me! :)

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”