PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Piranhas!

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Piranhas!

Postby Laughing Hyena » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Anyone ever own a Piranha? I actually heard they are very good fish to keep! I suppose they're not for the squeamish though because you will see the heads of Gold Fish floating around the aquarium from time to time. I heard some people actually feed their Piranhas live Mice by just throwing a Mouse in the tanks and watch it get shredded to pieces its kinda gross though I'll just stick with feeding it Goldfish if I had one.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Piranhas!

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Lots of people "Silver Dollars" are a species of piranha(eats some meat but mostly vegetarian, but I suppose you just mean the red bellied.

You don't have to give them live prey. You can give them any meat really. A frozen thawed mouse now and then could be healthy for them though.

http://www.piranha-info.com/default.php ... &id=page_2
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:32 pm

People tend to think Pacus are Piranhas, too, because of their teeth. But then they get 2 or 3 feet long and they realize that their cute little fish wasn't what it was described to be by the person they bought it from, haha.

There are over 20 species of Piranha, if my memory serves me correctly, but only a few of them (like the Red-Bellied) eat meat. Feeding live isn't a great idea with most captive animals, so I agree with the regular meat/frozen mice as a treat or even just normal frozen fish food. There are many kinds available and even mixed ones to give a good variety. I give my tropical tank bloodworms on occasion, even my little Neon Tetras go nuts over it :lol: Most aquarium fish like (and sometimes require) a varied diet.

Piranhas get pretty big, and they like to school, so I'd imagine most home hobbyists wouldn't be able to keep them housed comfortably.

I watched a documentary on Amazonian Piranhas, and it said that the meat-eating ones would much rather feed off of a dead animal than attack and kill a living one for food. Whether that's true or not, it sounds much more reasonable, hehe.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 pm

Juska wrote:I watched a documentary on Amazonian Piranhas, and it said that the meat-eating ones would much rather feed off of a dead animal than attack and kill a living one for food. Whether that's true or not, it sounds much more reasonable, hehe.

It is true. They are actually pretty skittish and school for safety.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Heh, you're probably more likely to experience a Candiru..."attack"...in the Amazon than a Piranha "attack" :shock:
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 pm

I remember it being mentioned in a class that a lot of piranhas in the amazon river survive solely on fruit that drops from tree branches hanging over the river. I thought that was interesting.

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”