PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Betta splendens

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Re: Betta splendens

Postby Juska » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:54 pm

A collage I made to show how his color and fins have changed over the past few months. His blue has turned very dark and most of the white is gone. Plus his fin loss, which doesn't seem to be growing back.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 pm

I've been disinclined to think it's fin rot. The missing tail fin happened overnight. Before then he was fine. His fins don't show any signs of redness or grey color, it's easy to tell because his fins are white. I've also always kept his tank clean so I don't understand how he could contract it.

I can try treating him with aquarium salt but I've heard that can easily kill a Betta.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Fins can become lighter and not just darker from it. It could have been allowed to get a foothold from an initial injury to the tail but you could wait on the salt and see if something else helps.

Here's a discussion on regrowth that might help more http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta ... rehab.html
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

Yeah, I've read that thread before. I have Stress Coat and aquarium salt here, though I don't really trust Stress Coat that much as it contains Aloe, which has sugar strains and can actually feed bacterial infections on fresh wounds. I guess I'll be buying some Maracyn I/II and one of the small, 2.5 gallon basic glass tanks we have at PetSmart to treat him in tomorrow. I don't know how I'm going to keep his tank warm though unless I can just put the heater in the smaller tank? It's rated for 2-5 gallons, I think.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 am

It should work fine in a smaller tank too just keep an eye on the temp at first you may need to turn it down more than in the big tank
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 pm

I took out all decorations and did a near-100% water change in his regular tank, then added Prime. Also removed the filter media from the filter housing. I just dosed him with Maracyn II. All I left in the tank was the thermometer and a Betta Leaf Hammock I bought for him today. Hopefully this will start fixing the damage.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Sounds good. Hope you see some improvement.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Me too. He didn't take kindly to me taking away all his stuff but hopefully it will help. I hate seeing him like this.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Well, it's been two weeks since my last post, I've treated him with the Maracyn/II treatment. I haven't noticed his fins receding any more through comparison with photos I took before the treatment. But I haven't noticed any improvement whatsoever. That may be because the infection has just died off and the fins haven't begun to heal yet, but I can't be certain until I see new growth.

Did a huge water change, scrubbed the gravel until the water was clear and added a new activated carbon cartridge yesterday afternoon. He is eating and acting normal like always, no clamped fins or any other signs of pain this whole time, though he was pretty grumpy during the treatment process because he had nothing to play with.

I'm also going to start him on a new diet, Omega One Betta Pellets. Hikari changed their Betta food formula and the main ingredient is now wheat, which is a filler and not particularly great for them. Omega One has great ingredients and it's what I feed my Goldfish and tropicals. Hopefully that might spur a little more healthy growth. And, if I can find some, some organic/natural garlic juice with no preservative. I've heard that works wonders for Bettas.

Please keep your fingers crossed for Simo, I just want this to be over for him and to get his beautiful fins back.
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:16 pm

I just wanted to ask how Simo is doing on treatment, and how he is in general, as well as say thank you for suggesting Melafix. My original male, Ares, got fin rot and was starting to look bad, but now after having him on Melafix for almost a week, his color is coming back, and his gorgeous fins are coming back in to their full beauty! Thanks again!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Simo's fins haven't come back at all. He's completely rid of the fin rot and is doing fine. I've given up on trying to get them to grow back, though; he's just going to have short fins for the rest of his life.
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Sorry about his fins! They were (and probably still are) gorgeous! Glad to hear he's doing well.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Most people that meet him still think he's a unique and beautiful Betta, because they've never seen a blue and white Butterfly variety before. But he still has his goofy personality and his health, and that's all I really care about.
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:49 am

He is very beautiful! Could he possibly have been nipped by your filter? I suspect that happened
to Otto once. We also used to purchase 'ghost shrimp' for him to kill and eat, half a dozen or
so at a time, in his 10 gallon tank. It was either a nip from one of those or the filter that
trimmed one of his fins in an overnight type scenario like you experienced, but his grew back
over the course of a year. As for age, Otto was a 3rd birthday present for my cat, Anastasia,
and she will be 6 May 1st, so the beast has to be at the very least 3. :)

(unlucky fingerprint smudge, yay :roll: )

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”