PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

SHARKS!!!!!

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

eaglesWR7

SHARKS!!!!!

Postby eaglesWR7 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:17 am

Does anyone own any sharks? I have 3 empty tanks waiting for a great idea to fill them up. I really would love to have a shark but ive heard so many different ideas about tank sizes is ridiculous.
Currently Owning: 1 Florida Snapping Turtle , 1 Mississippi Map, 1 Yellow Bellied Slider, and one chocolate Min Pin
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:26 am

I had one a long time ago, but, can't remember too much about them.
I use to raise oscars and jack dempseys. I really liked the oscars.
they get pretty big and are easier to care for..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
The Great Fox

Postby The Great Fox » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:49 pm

pat,

sorry to go to an old artical but i was seeing if there were any articals about sharks. I had no idea you had sharks... although you have a lot of pets :lol: . well what type of sharks did you have? i'm going to get Speckled epaulette.
Hunting is 100% horrific! (no offence if you hunt).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:09 pm

for each one foot of fish you should have at least cubic feet of water.
ScottishMiniZoo

Postby ScottishMiniZoo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:16 am

Do you mean fish with the word "shark" in their name? Or a true shark? If a true shark you will need a VERY large aquarium and there are very few small enough for the home aquarium. If you mean a fish with the word "shark" in the name, which are VERY common, then research the ones you like and make sure you have a big enough tank. Example, we have a catfish called a "silver shark" I believe, they will need a large aquarium, I think 75 gallons bare minimum. Same goes the a Bala Shark...I really love Bala sharks, there was a 2 foot one at the shop somewhat recently.

Anyway, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents if they help at all! Only true shark we have had was one we hatched from a "mermaids purse" I believe he was a...bamboo shark? Ah it was so long ago! We was adorable though, we even had shark food for it in the freezer. Not joking, it was labled "shark food" haha. I should do more research on true sharks in captivity, sadly im lacking there. Slowing catching up with Piranhas, freshwater Barracudas, and freshwater stringrays.
Image I love Muntjac Deer! ImageImage
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:00 am

I must of got confused.
I didn't have a real shark.. it was such a long time ago, I can't remember what type of fish it was..

probably the small fish that are called shark..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
EllieMae4

Postby EllieMae4 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:55 pm

We have had many types of sharks. The tank size is definitely important. Some types need to swim circles. Some of the shark eggs that we had hatched but the babies wouldn't eat. The nicest shark we had was a nurse shark. We got him at about a foot and he was nearly 4 feet when we had to give him to Mystic Sea Aquarium in Connecticut. He used to spit water at us when it was time to eat. He could get you too!! Good luck.
melissa
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Those leopard sharks are neat. THere was a big sting done though, people were illegaly poaching pregger sharks, and cutting them open to sell the babies right from the womb. If i had the space (and the no how) i would like a shark, or a ray
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:48 pm

I know this is a old post but With a bamboo shark (one of the smallest breeds of salwater sharks) you need to have atleast a 180 gallon aquarium. As with any animal bigger is better.
Laughing Hyena

Re: SHARKS!!!!!

Postby Laughing Hyena » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Apparently you can buy Nurse Sharks as I seen at a pet store just recently.

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”