PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Big Pond Time

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

eaglesWR7

Big Pond Time

Postby eaglesWR7 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:47 pm

I was wondering if anyone had a big pond and if they could give me a picture or a few pointers on what to stock it with. I really like the Koi, i already have 4 turtles in the waiting line once i get the water an pumps going. But what about newts, arrowana, crayfish? ive seen all kinds of different animal species inside other ponds. Any help is great, THANKS!
Currently Owning: 1 Florida Snapping Turtle , 1 Mississippi Map, 1 Yellow Bellied Slider, and one chocolate Min Pin
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:48 am

I have some trout koi and goldfish, and ducks. The ducks really muck the filter though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eaglesWR7

nice quackers

Postby eaglesWR7 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:33 am

Thats a nice pond, same feel im going for. How did you get your ducks? And do you have to bring them inside at all? An lastly do they poop all over the place or just in the water? THANKS!
Currently Owning: 1 Florida Snapping Turtle , 1 Mississippi Map, 1 Yellow Bellied Slider, and one chocolate Min Pin
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:50 pm

We have a pond around where we live which had a bunch of ducks and geese, a very filthy pond with very aggressive geese (There a 60% chance they would try to attack you if you went to close), but anyways just looking at the birds was a nice thing. Then the city decided to relocate them and all the poop on the sidewalks (Which they where completely poop covered) disapeared. Though I think some of the geese came back....
snakeman

Postby snakeman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:46 pm

have you checked on soft shell turtles,I had some of them but up here in N.Y. they have to come in during the winter. the white catfish are nice to watch too..... before I forget to ask, what kind of ducks were in the picture. the heads remind me of wood ducks.
eaglesWR7

Started Digging

Postby eaglesWR7 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:16 pm

I finally got all the equipment, pump, uv bulbs, skimmer, waterfall, liner, etc. Now im starting to dig it. Boy this is hard work! I dont think im going to put any ducks in the pond now. I have been researching and the mess they make is way more than i want to clean up. I like the comment about the catfish, im going to put one in my pond. It will also house 1 florida snapping turtle, 1 yellow bellied slider, 1 mississippi map turtle as well as about 6-10 koi. I plan on getting one all black butterfly koi cuz they are so beautiful. I figured id throw some guppies in there to keep the turtles fed as well as eat the baby misquito larve. Hopefully they wont take root with the waterfall feature tho. I was also looking at getting a sturgeon, because they look so neat. Well see tho. Any more info would be great guys. Thanks for the input! :mrgreen:
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:16 pm

everything sounds good, except you will regret the snapping turtle terribly. They WILL eat your kois fins off even if the turtle is small. The black koi will never be seen unless you put pea gravel on the bottom of the pond. putting gravel over a liner helps keep water clear due to natural filtration, however you will have to rake through it once in a while.

We rented a back hoe for our pond. the expense was worth it.
You could put a pair of teal in the pond, they wont make much mess, but will eat any water lillies. They leave water hyasinths alone though.

Stergeons are very cool, but wait at least a year or they wont survive. They are real sensitive to water quality. They are so expensive, and die so easy, I will never have one again
eaglesWR7

Black Koi

Postby eaglesWR7 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Yea i had thought about not being able to see the black koi. If i get one i want to see it before i buy it for sure. I may wait like you said on the sturgeon. I wanna make sure this pond is perfect biologically before i go throwing it off somehow. Yea a backhoe would be nice, but i have a big shed in the way on the side of the house. I WISH IT WASNT THERE!! but oh well. A lil elbow grease will get it done eventually. I want to attract the local butterflies and hummingbirds. What flowers are usually good at this? I was also thinking about making a baby pool to the side, so maybe the birds could use it as a bath.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:57 pm

I have no clue what does well in florida, but up here in ohio the best plant for hummingbirds are trumpet creeper, cardinal flower and bee balm
butterflies love bee balm, butterfly bush, and butterfly weed and many others. Also for wild finches you cannot beat some sunflowers, and coneflowers.

The trumpet creeper always gets hummingbirds here. The bee balm always gets a fungass around here and dies, but it is awsome before that happens.

no need for a baby pool. Birds wont use it, as its too deep, not as fresh, and generally to loud of a color for them to feel comfortable being on. instead they will preffer to splash on a rock in a shallow area. They love to splash around in the waterfall. They will use a baby pool with no other option, but if the pond is there they will use that even if not as convenient.

our back hoe we used was very small. they make them in all sizes, and are only about twice as wide as a wheel barrel. Good luck using a shovel, I do not envy you!
eaglesWR7

Postby eaglesWR7 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:24 am

haha, sorry i didnt word that right, when i said baby pool, i meant the little shallow rock area that the birds could splash around in. Ive heard of this creeper plant. ill have to check the nurserys around here to see whats available.
snakeman

Postby snakeman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:24 am

If you want to check into different fish and turtles I have a friend in Fl. that imports all sorts of stuff. his name is Mike Frewer,(352) 799-8669. he's in New Port Richey. tell him John from N.Y. told you about him. He's checking on white cat fish for me. Good luck, john
eaglesWR7

great

Postby eaglesWR7 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:27 pm

great, ill give him a call. im mos def. in the market for a florida softshell. and also want to check out the types of fish, thanks for the number!
BB

Re: Big Pond Time

Postby BB » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm

I know, old topic, (very old in fact) but I just want to revive the fish forum a little......
You've never posted the outcome of your pond. How did it turn out?
Which fish and turtles did you end up getting?

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”