PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fishy!

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BB

Fishy!

Postby BB » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:28 am

Hi, not much is happening in the fish section.....
I downscaled from six fish tanks to two, one 60l with two angel fish and one flying fox in it and a 300l tank with natives (rainbows), blue acaras and a lot of catfish. I love my cat fish..
I also dug a tinnie into the ground outside with natives (rainbows,glassfish,archerfish and gudgeons) Swordtails,mollies and platies.
Our latest project was a goldfish tank(we thought..yeah we dig a bit and concrete it but we ended up sinking a 6000l poly tank, so we can grow biga#@% goldfish...)
Well, I really would like to put a pleco in it to clean the sides but someone told me they don't go well with goldfish as they like to suck their mucus.
I've had a common sucker with my angels and he used to do this but like I mentioned above the tank is only 60l, but this fish pond is massive, surely he has plenty to suck on other then the fish? Of course I would feed him algae tablets and veggies as well.
What do you suggest?
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:09 am

I'm not familiar with ponds, but in a tank it seems to be a crapshoot whether a pleco will "suck mucus" or not. If you feed it well and get when its small I don't think it would be a problem. I've got a 14" pleco in my 125gal tank with fish sized from 10" ( irridescent shark) to 3/4" (baby cherry barbs). He neither eats the babys or bothers the other fish. I think its worth a try.
BB

Postby BB » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:44 am

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll give it a shot, as you said I'll try to get a small one. He would have to do a lot of swimming to get to a fish and as you mentioned if their belly is full they most likly leave the fish alone anyway.
I need to find some suitable bogwood to put in there as well, they like their wood don't they?
In my 4" tank I have four bristle nose and even with feeding them algae and sinking tablets they cleaned some of the ornaments in the tank to the spot! I also purchased a whiptail and a stick catfish (sorry I'm no good with the latin names) oh and two Borneo catfish. They are soo lovely.
Thanks again,
BB
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:47 pm

I always feed my plecos and they always keep the tank clean. To me, feeding them keeps them healthy and healthy fish do what they do better and what plecos do is eat algae. In my area borneo suckers are what we call some of the loaches that cling to the sides of the tank & rocks eating algae ( i assume). I have 4 of them in the 30 gallon, along with a bristlenose adult and a bunch of babies i removed from my big tank. Have you been able ( assuming we are talking about the same fish) to get your suckers to eat fish food? What? Yeah, driftwood is needed by some plecos and doesn't hurt the others, so its better safe than sorry, get some. Sorry to go on & on, once i start talking about fish, it never ends.
BB

Postby BB » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:06 pm

It's great to finally talk with someone about fish, I've never posted here cause there was not much happening and the posts where pretty old. Anyway I'll try to take some pictures of my suckers but I warn you now my photos always turn out wobbly. Maybe I'll wait till tonight so I won't have the glare of the daylight....
Till then..
BB
BB

Postby BB » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:15 am

Ok, I had a go! :? I've got some fish on camera, the other ones are in hiding....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BB

Postby BB » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:28 am

As you can see I'm battling with different kind of algae. The tank is outside on the veranda and gets afternoon sunlight. As I've got so many catfish in there I started to leave the backside of the tank and only clean the front and a bit on the sides. I cleaned my tank every week but I do it now only every second week as it is pretty populated with fish and I've lost too many rainbows after the weekly water change.
Here are some photos of my male blue acara, the boss of the tank, he's got three females which lay heaps of eggs and some of them actually hatched but the other fish ate them... :roll: I know I should separate them but I got rid of all my other tanks. (Maybe I'll put the next lot of fry into a bucket with an aerator..)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:29 pm

I am trying to get pictures, but so far they're blurry. I'll bet your twig catfish loves the algae. I've tried to keep them, but have never been able to sustain enough algae in a tank to keep them alive. Your borneo sucker sure does look like a loach. There's a website that's for loach keepers. I haven't been on it in a while, I think its at "loaches.com". I love the acara picts, but am not familiar with the fish, is it a chiclid? If I had a tank on the porch right now it would be solid ice. I'll post picts if i get any where you can actually see the fish.
BB

Postby BB » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:46 am

Yeah, it's pretty hard to stay still, I ended up using a tripod. The blue acara is a cichlid, I looked up the scientific name - Aequidens pulcher, in case they call this fish differently in the US.
Looking forward to your pics..
BB

Postby BB » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:34 am

Trefoil,
I still would like to see some photos of your fish!
My bristle noses have grown a lot, well two out of four have grown heaps the other two are half the size, cannot see any bristles yet...
I also lost all my mollies in my outside tank (well, it's actually a little tin boat dug in), I never had any luck with mollies.
In our goldfish pond we've got two new ones, no color, well black, if you consider it a color. One has really big fins and googly eyes and it took him a month to come up and eat food - he'd rather preferred algae from the side of the tank (vegetarian fish! :lol: ) A friend gave me a lot of guppies but the goldfish ate them all...
Trefoil

fishy

Postby Trefoil » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:50 pm

I've got to get a program to resize my pictures before i can post them. I'm working on it though. How big are your goldfish? I've only got two, right now in a horse tank on the porch, heated, waiting for summer. One's about 14" and his buddy's about 4". The big one is a survivor from my daughters' piranha tank. The piranha taught him to eat algae discs, so he's a vegetarian too.
BB

Postby BB » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:31 pm

I didn't know you can keep piranha with goldfish? First, when I read your post, I thought "the only survivor" - his mates got eaten by them.
My goldfish aren't that big yet, but we thought we buy them small so we can watch them grow.I'll send a photo of the pond,it is deceiving cause if I would stand in it I wouln't be able to look out. It is still in progress, getting rocks all around it. The photo of the tinnie is old, now you can hardly see it the grassbushes got really big. I try to get a current photo.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:41 am

Beautiful. I like the tri colored one. His buddies did get eaten. My daughter bought the big one as a feeder goldfish when he was small, for some reason he fish never ate him and he just kept growing. When she sold the piranha she kept the goldfish and got him a buddy. I downloaded paint to resize my pictures so i can post them, but now can't figure out how to get the pictures to paint to do it. I tried to copy them to paint.net, but don't know where they went. I'll keep trying. Computer illiterate
BB

Postby BB » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:13 am

yeah, I'm not the best with the computer neither but in my program I have the option to re-size, lucky!
I've got two of every colour, but the other tricolored one was a bit camera shy.
I picked up some water weed today, my friends hate it because it takes over their whole pond but I put it in mine since I haven't got a shade structure yet. They also gave me some of their platies, black with an orange head and tail fin, really beautiful. I'm not game enough to put them in with the goldfish since they ate all the guppies,(yet there are some orange platies with them, maybe they think they are mini-goldfish :lol: I've got a big pot with platies in it, I think that's the best for them.
Trefoil

first try

Postby Trefoil » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:11 pm

This is my whiptail cat. Hopefully it'll work.

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”